Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:51 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,552,407 times

Advertisements

Briefly(or not so), our 90 year old aunt has moved into a nursing home and her Balcones Woods home sits empty. Her husband passed away a few years ago and she was in the house alone for 3-4 years. VERY little was done to maintain the house(5 bed/3 bath ranch) in the past couple of decades(save a new roof, installed last year).

She(we) don't 'need' the money(value of the house) in the short term(for her care) but eventually, the funds would be helpful to pay for her new accommodations/medical care. My less than expert opinion is that any money put into the house for rehab would be a 'wash' at a future selling point. Given the location, I wouldn't expect more than a 10-15% flux in value--current market vs 'improved' market of the next year or so.

One of the bathrooms is a gut job, smallest kitchen you can imagine in a ~2000 sq ft house, HVAC will need refurb or replacement, original windows, etc...you get the picture.

If she were here alone, she would be perfect prey for the 'We buy ugly houses' vultures...but, of course, we moved here to keep that from happening. Question is...

How does one contact legitimate buyers for a house that 'should' be fully restored. The house could be lived in during a 'homeowner reno' but it would challenge the buyer, that's for sure. If someone in the family needed a house, I think we would attempt the reno ourselves; but, my guess is we should sell at a low price and let someone else benefit from all the hard work it will need. What to do? What to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 06:03 PM

648 posts, read 1,964,654 times
I'm personally in the market for a reno job house like this, but more central. From what I know of the Balconey's Woods neighborhood, it may be a tougher sell as people lack the cash for the reno job.

At higher price points, it is more likely you have older buyers with more cash on hand for reno jobs.

My advice is to seek the advice of a real estate agent who knows that area well.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:21 PM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,707,536 times
My opinion would be to fix the things that are "pain in a** stuff" like if it needs a new roof, update HVAC, waterheaters etc and leave the cosmetic stuff (fun stuff) to a new buyer. The updates on those things will make it a more attractive "investment" for someone to live in and rehab...knowing those things are A-OK
That could make it sell faster for a trade-off in investment.

And for sure...contact a realtor that works in that area. Drive around and see who the signs belong to and get a copy of the HOA newslettern or contact the neighborhood association if there is no HOA...the area realtors usually advertise in them for just such a purpose.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiled Texan View Post
I'm personally in the market for a reno job house like this, but more central. From what I know of the Balconey's Woods neighborhood, it may be a tougher sell as people lack the cash for the reno job.

At higher price points, it is more likely you have older buyers with more cash on hand for reno jobs.

My advice is to seek the advice of a real estate agent who knows that area well.

Thanks for the response. The homes in this section of BW go anywhere from lowish 200s to mid 300s, depending on many factors. A neighbor has made initial contact with a 'local expert' RE agent but I wonder about more direct contact with a buyer for this type of project(we don't call them 'flippers' anymore, do we? ).

I really wish this house suited us or we had a family member who could take advantage of the opportunity. In this market, I don't know how much money would be made by a 'middle-man' just looking to resell.

Of course, one 5-10% likelihood would be to rehab and rent. Not likely but we'll entertain all options.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:08 AM

130 posts, read 386,557 times
Get an appraiser (who will appraise for the banks during the lender's approval). Only those folks can give you a much better idea than any realtors / agents. I know this might be little sorry feeling for agents,but agents can go ONLY to an extent. Agents will help u to pull up comps info and give a fair idea,but what really the house is worth from $ point of view, bank and their allied folks (here appraiser)
can shed more light. I wish the final appraiser (for the bank) and inspector are 2 most critical steps in house buying!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:44 AM

57 posts, read 150,773 times
You have some options since it is paid for.
1. You could do the updating yourself and sell it for a premium.
2. You could do nothing and sell at rock bottom price to someone willing to do the work required.
3. You could do some updating to get it inot shape so another family would want to lease it. Then you would have a relatively steady stream of income for your aunt. This may be your best choice as it would defray the costs of her care. Then you can sell it when that is no longer necessary.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 02-17-2010 at 08:29 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,241 times
I am interested in talking to you about your Aunt's house in Balcones Woods. I grew up there and am interested in moving back, but need to find a fixer upper. Would you please send me a message directly?

Old 02-03-2010, 03:42 PM

130 posts, read 386,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betina Foreman View Post
You have some options since it is paid for.
1. You could do the updating yourself and sell it for a premium.
2. You could do nothing and sell at rock bottom price to someone willing to do the work required.
3. You could do some updating to get it inot shape so another family would want to lease it. Then you would have a relatively steady stream of income for your aunt. This may be your best choice as it would defray the costs of her care. Then you can sell it when that is no longer necessary.

If you want a comparative market analysis I would be happy to do it for you free of charge. This might help you decide which option you want to pursue. I wish you the best of luck with whichever option your family chooses topursue.
- FREE ADVERTISMENT.... REALTOR

Old 02-04-2010, 09:26 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
I don't think you should "update" unless you're going to update the entire thing. Many buyers walk into half-updated houses and get frustrated. Either they want it all done or none of it done.

However, updating the main mechanicals of the house would be a great start so you can market it as fully functional and waiting for decorative ideas from new owner. You have a new roof, so make sure the heat, ac, water heater, etc are new and functional so you're not getting the bottom of the barrel offers.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I don't think you should "update" unless you're going to update the entire thing. Many buyers walk into half-updated houses and get frustrated. Either they want it all done or none of it done.

However, updating the main mechanicals of the house would be a great start so you can market it as fully functional and waiting for decorative ideas from new owner. You have a new roof, so make sure the heat, ac, water heater, etc are new and functional so you're not getting the bottom of the barrel offers.
Thanks...that has been part of the dilemma...how much work to do. Frankly, I think I would 'enjoy' this project but time and budget constraints win out. We won't mind leaving a little money on the table but, of course, we want to get as much return as is reasonable for our aunt. Thankfully, the new roof is in place...especially with this weather! The mechanical systems are 'functional' but certainly not the most energy efficient. We're still investigating our options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: