Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:08 AM

163 posts, read 318,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSecretAdam View Post
What is ridiculous is not being socially responsible by doing your civil duty and obtaining a job to sustain yourself BEFORE you drain society. I don’t care what you say! As a taxpayer who has to pay/paid for the unemployed I can say that! Telling a taxpayer they have no right to question socially irresponsible people who create a bigger bill for them at the end of the year is like saying you don’t have the right to drive a car you paid for.

I am truly glad for you that you were one of the success stories. It isn't that often you hear of someone who needed assistance to help them out of a bind, and actually got out of a bind and moved on. Good for you... and that is one of the few exceptions to government assistance I am OK with. Those who need it and can put back in what they took out is OK.

I would support higher taxes as well if KNEW, for sure, it would help. History has shown it rarely ever does. We pay taxes and it usually is sucked away without any results.

So what my comment was about is that you MUST be able to see both sides of the fence here Sir, and understand why those who are responsible would question those who appear to be lacking it. And since you were on both sides you should see it clearly. You have to understand where both parties are coming from instead of firing off a comment to one side saying they have NO right to scrutinize the actions of a potential welfare candidate when they foot the bill, when in fact they do have rights.

Does the bank have a right to scrutinize who they lend to? As does taxpayers have the right to scrutinize where they’re money goes? A bank wants to know its investment is solid, as does a taxpayer. Taxpayers are the investors of a city’s future. So we do have a right.

So please do not tell anyone what they do have rights to do. The Bill of Rights explains all of that.
i'm pretty sure when we conluded our previous debate last night i mentioned that discussing anything further between us would be futile. our fundamental differences will only allow our discussion to go round and round, without ever coming to a worthy understanding of eachother.

i would normally tend to agree to disagree while civilly discussing what seperates us, but i am so strongly at a variance with you. with all due respect, your umbrella of beliefs is trite and predictable. i suggest you branch out from your narrow minded attempt at reason.

Last edited by absolutely; 02-04-2010 at 12:25 AM..

Old 02-04-2010, 12:09 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutely View Post
i'm unsure in what way i'm being spastic, or how you can interpret that textually, but your senses are obviously superior to mine. my initial 'beef' was that the majority of people on this thread were aggressively attacking the op for reasons beyond my understanding.

i havn't insulted anyone for loving austin, nor is it my intention to do so. not only have i mentioned very little concerning austin's economy specifically, i actually stated that austin's job market is superior to that of the entire midwest.

and you continue to misunderstand, jump to conclusions, as well as exaggerate.
I called you where a spaz because seem be overly defensive about every little thing, including my post. I didn't mean you where literally spazzing out (I thought that was implied), but you just seemed to be over reacting to my comment, which I didn't think was in attack at you in anyway.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I called you where a spaz because seem be overly defensive about every little thing, including my post. I didn't mean you where literally spazzing out (I thought that was implied), but you just seemed to be over reacting to my comment, which I didn't think was in attack at you in anyway.
i'm truly not being overly defensive, i just really enjoy a healthy rebuttal. unless you're being arrogant or just plain mean to someone, which you havn't, there sincerely are no hard feelings.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:21 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
i'm truly not being overly defensive, i just really enjoy a healthy rebuttal. unless you're being arrogant or just plain mean to someone, which you havn't, there sincerely are no hard feelings.
Well good. I'm glad we have an understanding. no hard feelings here either.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 AM

97 posts, read 197,301 times
Quote:
i'm pretty sure when we conluded our previous debate last night i mentioned that discussing anything further between us would be futile. our fundamental differences will only allow our discussion to go round and round, without ever coming to a worthy understanding of eachother.

i would normally tend to agree to disagree while civilly discussing what seperates us, but i am so strongly at a variance with you. with all due respect, your umbrella of beliefs is trite and predictable. i suggest you branch out from your narrow minded attempt at reason.
Well I guess Im just not a quiter... I didnt give in to welfare money from the taxpayers, I didnt give up on my city and bash them to the ground, and I sure wouldnt quit rubbing your nose in your own **** to remind you how much of low life you are.

narrow minded is your statement, I call it empowered in my line of thinking. Which has never landed me in trouble, or on welfare.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
well consider us in trouble i suppose. unfortuantely, after reviewing current population growth trends in central texas, it would be naive to assume that austin isn't blindly meandering towards similarities of houston or dallas. but i understand what you're saying, and i agree. i get the pun, and at no point stated i hated austin. it's interesting that when someone says they simply don't like austin, it is assumed they "hate" it. i've said amicably over and over that austin simply isn't for me. i feel i've been respectful of those who enjoy austin, yet have received limited respect in return.
Hah! I like how you took the only *true* potential negative I pointed out about Austin -- that it may someday be no different from Dallas or Houston -- and jumped on it. Kudos to you for passing the audition. If anything indicates your true feelings about the city, it's that.

And frankly, I feel it's great for you to express yourself. Your other responses throughout the thread hopefully help us understand a little about you, what you are like, etc... and because of this, I say bash away. You are a good representative for those who would dislike it here, anyway. You don't have to say you "hate the city", just make some convincing arguments about what you dislike. I think it helps you as much as it helps us!

We don't have to like the same things, after all.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Hah! I like how you took the only *true* potential negative I pointed out about Austin -- that it may someday be no different from Dallas or Houston -- and jumped on it. Kudos to you for passing the audition. If anything indicates your true feelings about the city, it's that.

And frankly, I feel it's great for you to express yourself. Your other responses throughout the thread hopefully help us understand a little about you, what you are like, etc... and because of this, I say bash away. You are a good representative for those who would dislike it here, anyway. You don't have to say you "hate the city", just make some convincing arguments about what you dislike. I think it helps you as much as it helps us!

We don't have to like the same things, after all.
you're correct, we certainly don't have to like the same things. so who am i? what am i like? and what about me dictates that i'm a good candidate for disliking austin?

Old 02-04-2010, 03:41 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I'm not trying to make an impression; I really couldn't care less what you think. You act like you've been tricked somehow.. haha! How about having a job before you move here instead of coming here unprepared and then crying that everyone isn't fighting to hire you. If you are really that naive, then you have nobody to blame but yourself. And guess what? It's not going to be any different anywhere else in the country.
Amen, sadly some people don't get it.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:46 AM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
Quote:
jeeeesus, why is everyone so defensive of this city on this forum?!?! who cares! austin IS WHAT IT IS, and in MANY people's opinion, it is not worth the hype that HAS MOST CERTAINLY been exploited by the media outside of texas. while i think the op could have elicited more tact in his post, his assessment of austin really isn't THAT far fetched, considering his short time here thus far.

i moved from the midwest, to austin, a year ago. i can absolutely agree with the op in the sense that austin IS hyped up outside of texas. in the midwest, the word of mouth and assumptions revolving around this city are profound. it is considered to be an oasis by many areas of the u.s., most affected by recession. this is no ones fault, but the media and ignorant assumption.

i've been here for about a year and half, and share many of the same concerns as the op. i try to discuss my disinterest with austin amicably amongst austinites, yet irrationalism, defensiveness and misplaced pride seems to overshadow constructive discussion.
Well if you moved here from the midwest, then u must of believed the hype. I havent actually been to Texas, but people moving here without jobs and expecting them to be just fine and then they complain about it is the real problem. No place is perfect, and I hear a lot of crap about how Minnesota has such fantastic education and an excellent job market as well, but there is many failing schools here, when we moved the elementary school that my little sister got enrolled in, about a week before school started we got a letter in the mail stating how they have been well below the state average test scores for several years... and jobs are jsut as tight here as anyone else.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I've never been to the Midwest, so what exactly is everyone saying about Austin that's so exaggerated? Is it just the job market or other stuff as well? I'm just curious.
Well I have really never heard anyone talk about Austin here and am trying to figure it out myself. I guess im stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin