Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 05:35 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,902,865 times

Advertisements

Far West to Campus with no traffic takes 15-20 minutes, you can add 10 minutes during rush hours. The shuttle does not stop after leaving the Far West area, it goes straight to Campus. Regardless of comparing exact shuttle times, the Far West area has so much more to offer UT students than that of the Riverside area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 06:04 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,768,776 times
Depends on what kind of person you are and what you want from your neighborhood. I think neither of them are ideal for an undergrad - you are too far from campus, can't go home for a quick snack or nap, or collect a book you've forgotten, or run to the library in the middle of the night to find a reference you need for a paper, and it will be harder to attend the range of campus cultural activities at night, never mind walking to a football game etc. So if you can find something in the most crime ridden neighborhood in Austin for your price range - move to west Campus - it's where most of your friends and peers will be anyway. If you have never lived in a real city, and are afraid of working class and brown people, you will be far happier in Far West, which is largely white and middle-class in demographic, and suburban strip mall in character. Riverside ain't the East Village in Manhattan, too many mega apartment complexes and not nearly enough street level retail, but you would have much better Mexican food, and as others have said much closer proximity to downtown, SoCo, the East Austin hipster scene, and a lot of the stuff that makes Austin attractive to young adults. So work out what you value in a neighborhood and decide.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Far West is on the same side of the river as UT, which can be a big deal depending on what time of day you're traveling.

It's about 22 minutes by bus from Far West to UT. It's about the same from Lakeshore and Riverside Drive to UT.

Given my druthers, I'd personally choose Far West, but that's very subjective.

How have you narrowed it down to those two areas?
I've narrowed down the place based on price. I heard you could get good deals out of Riverside and Far West.

I'll be working to support my rent and taking the bus to school to save gas.

Figured Riverside or Far West would have some good apartments.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:25 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,867,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tt7truong View Post
I've narrowed down the place based on price. I heard you could get good deals out of Riverside and Far West.

I'll be working to support my rent and taking the bus to school to save gas.

Figured Riverside or Far West would have some good apartments.
Any idea where you will be working? Because that could be a good deciding factor. Honestly, I think you could have a great experience in either area.

As others have said, Far West is the safer, quieter, and more expensive area (due to being surrounded by high-dollar neighborhoods)... and Riverside will be grittier, cheaper, but closer proximity to downtown and SoCo areas which are popular for entertainment.

I agree with some of the other posters that the shuttle times from each area are about the same. 15-20 mins depending on the stop during non-rush hours. Frequency is similar on both routes, and is very good.

So, I'd try to consider where you might be working, and try to get on the same side of the river as your employment... because when you aren't taking the shuttle, that drive to work could be nasty if you have to cross town.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:31 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 699,105 times
Much prefer FW to Riverside, but I'm not sure what kind of place you will get there for $400/month.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:40 AM

554 posts, read 1,060,268 times
Far West. Should be no contest. The area is soo much nicer and safer feeling.

If I was a UT student I really try to find a way to afford West Campus area though. The college atmosphere and location can't be beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin