Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 02:55 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,974,047 times

Advertisements

I need to get a prepaid cell phone that reflects an Austin area code. I also need a mailbox that doesn't have PO Box or anything else that stands out as me not being a local. Any suggestions of locations to check out? I need to cover my ass until I can make the move in June, but I am applying in March for a bunch of jobs. I know it looks much better to look like a local on paper vs. looking like I came from out of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 07:27 PM

102 posts, read 307,291 times
Wal-Mart / Target / Best Buy / Fry's sell cheap prepaid phones. All you have to do is tell them you want a 512 area code when you activate. I have used Boost, TMobile, and AT&T prepaid before. You don't have to buy one in Austin either.

I've got a box at a UPS store, it doesn't list as a PO Box, but it does list as a Suite. Maybe that's good enough?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtalman View Post
Wal-Mart / Target / Best Buy / Fry's sell cheap prepaid phones. All you have to do is tell them you want a 512 area code when you activate. I have used Boost, TMobile, and AT&T prepaid before. You don't have to buy one in Austin either.

I've got a box at a UPS store, it doesn't list as a PO Box, but it does list as a Suite. Maybe that's good enough?
Which phone plan did you like the most? I am an idiot. Can someone live at a suite address? Thanks

Old 02-08-2010, 04:44 AM

587 posts, read 1,415,184 times
Mail Boxes, etc. (if they exist in Austin?) also have boxes that list a street address with your box# (just like an Apt #) and not a PO Box.

They're not super cheap, though, so the UPS Store may be the way to go.

And you don't have to list "Suite #" on the resume, you can just put "123 Main St #123".

Good luck!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:38 AM

535 posts, read 1,287,111 times
We use Net10. We use a prepaid and Net 10 has the best deal. You can get Net10 at most any store, but we get ours at Wal-Mart.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:04 AM
AGA

729 posts, read 2,699,235 times
Is it not acceptable to have a po box? I know many locals that do...
Check walmart website for pre-paid deals...

Old 02-08-2010, 08:40 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions
I just don't want to use PO Box because it stands out from what I hear when possible employers are trying to see who lives closer to work and who doesn't (of course the PO Box doesn't mean anything with distance, but they do recognize PO Box). I had 2 people in 2 interviews once look at the address on my resume and say things in interviews like "Oh you live too far from work. You would never be here on time" and things like that. I just want to keep it simple and have something that looks like I live in the center of a town with a ambiguous address.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 AM

102 posts, read 307,291 times
Assuming you have a cell phone, which service do you have now? I would just get the same if you don't plan on using the Austin number much.

I'm currently using one called Page Plus Cellular (Verizon network). It's the cheapest, but not the easiest to activate. Otherwise I was happiest with Boost which is 10 cents a minute. AT&T was 25 cents a minute. TMobile was anywhere from 10 to 35 cents a minute depending on how much you spent. But for light usage it probably doesn't matter much.

And you can't live at a Suite, but at least it doesn't necessarily look like a PO Box, as intmd8r mentioned. I think it costs me $120/year, but there are shorter options available.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtalman View Post
Assuming you have a cell phone, which service do you have now? I would just get the same if you don't plan on using the Austin number much.

I'm currently using one called Page Plus Cellular (Verizon network). It's the cheapest, but not the easiest to activate. Otherwise I was happiest with Boost which is 10 cents a minute. AT&T was 25 cents a minute. TMobile was anywhere from 10 to 35 cents a minute depending on how much you spent. But for light usage it probably doesn't matter much.

And you can't live at a Suite, but at least it doesn't necessarily look like a PO Box, as intmd8r mentioned. I think it costs me $120/year, but there are shorter options available.
I am with Verizon. I wish I could delete this thread now (but hopefully it helps someone out) because I think I found something just right for me. I read about Page Plus and it seems perfect for me. I like how the minutes you have last 4 months and to carry them over, you can just buy the 10 dollar card. Most of the plans I have seen online don't give you 4 months without you needing to refill even if you have minutes left. 4 months seems to be the longest I could find. You could get 1000 minutes for 50 bucks or 400 minutes for 25 bucks (probably the best plan for me), and 100 minutes for 10 bucks. They charge 30 bucks for the cheapest phone (a bit hire than other places but I would rather just get everything in a one stop shop) and 10 bucks for activation with included 60 minutes.

I use my regular Verizon phone under a family plan where we get a 15% discount due to a discount as well and plan to keep them for awhile. Most of the people I speak to have Verizon anyway.

I just plan to get a cell phone with a 512 area code to use only to answer incoming work related calls to set up interview times period. No plans to use the phone longer than 6 months and will only list it on resumes and job applications.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,874,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I wish I could delete this thread now (but hopefully it helps someone out) because I think I found something just right for me.
It is not a good idea to use your real name on internet forums. I'm assuming you did. Anyone who googles for Naomi Manischewitz will find this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin