Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 AM

41 posts, read 73,249 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My husband has a job interview for a position he is very excited about next week. We are going to Austin this weekend to make sure it is in fact a place we are interested in living. The job is downtown, just north of the river.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions of places and things to see. Obviously we can skip a lot of the tourist things since we will eventually be living there! This will probably be the only chance we have to visit if he is offered this job, so we need to make it count.

About us: 30 and 32, no kids yet-- though plan to start trying as soon as we are settled into a kid friendly house/neighborhood. Plan to buy a home in the 300-400k (1700-2000 3bd/2ba sqft is fine) range in 3mo-1 yr after moving. We relocated to Orange County, CA a year ago from the midwest and have never been happy here, hence wanting to move to Austin! We are into fun restaurants, unique cafes, interesting shops, biking, hiking. Ideally we prefer not to live in a surrounding town, but somewhere inside the city limits.

thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 09:32 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,279,124 times
Okay, Zilker Park is touristy, but it's also where a lot of locals go, so you'll want to check it out for sure. Check out the hike and bike trail along Lady Bird Lake just south of downtown.

You might want to check out the following areas: the area south of the river down to Ben White, for possible housing (some of it will be out of your price range, but some will not). Allandale, Crestview, Hyde Park areas. Southwest Austin (Circle C, Village at Western Oaks, Shady Hollow). The area just west of Mopac (Loop 1, but nobody calls it that) and Far West, though that might be out of your price range you might find something there.

Those will all be reasonably close to downtown and will give you an assortment of the "Austin flavor" in a quick trip.

Try to have lunch or dinner at Azul Tequila in the Barton Hills area (Ben White and South Lamar, northeast corner right next to Target, ignore the fact that it's in a strip center). Go to Whole Foods Market's flag ship store at 6th and Lamar, and check out Book People just across the street, and Waterloo Records at the same intersection.

Swing through the University area - check out Breed & Co. Hardware on 29th just west of Guadalupe, and Texas French Bread, too.

I could keep going, but you'll no doubt get other suggestions from other folks on here.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 AM

372 posts, read 1,146,519 times
Generally, the closer you get to downtown, the more expensive the housing is. All of the neighborhoods that THL mentioned are great locations. I just wanted to add some places you might want to visit.

For food, you might want to try any of these places on 6th street: Z Tejas (good tex mex), Hut's Hamburgers (old hamburger joint that is a favorite of many locals), Katz's Deli (New York style deli), Amy's Ice Cream (another local favorite). You might also consider the Hula Hut (polynesian tex mex) or Ables on the Lake on Lake Austin Blvd or The Oasis (fantastic view from a cliff over Lake Travis). All of the restaurants I mentioned are close to downtown except The Oasis. Visitors go to the Oasis mainly to take in the views especially at sunset. I have never really been a big fan of the food at The Oasis.

I know it is kind of touristy but if you are going to be downtown, stop in and see the capital building. And at night you can take a horse drawn carriage ride through downtown.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:36 AM

Thanks so much for the ideas! I think the neighborhoods somewhat close to downtown are exactly what we like. Before moving to CA, we lived in Madison, WI and were an easy 10-15 min drive from downtown. I'd love to replicate that, just without the snow!

I regret when we visited "the OC" before moving we didn't spend enough time seeing the areas we could actually afford to live in. Laguna Beach and Newport Beach are awesome cities...assuming you have $1-2 million sitting around for a shack

I think we will spend a lot of time looking at neighborhoods and maybe hit up a few open houses just to get an idea. We will also do some of the touristy/local stuff too.

If anyone has more ideas, keep 'em coming!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:52 AM

If you want to see a view that's pretty near as spectacular as the Oasis, with marginally better food (and, unless the Oasis has improved, better margaritas), try Iguana Grill just a bit further down 620. Though the Oasis IS an Austin tradition.

You might want to try the Hoffbrau, if you don't mind steaks swimming in butter and a little bit of a dive. (It's what they serve.)It's across the street from Katz's and has been there longer than just about any restaurant (since 1937, I believe it was, the year of the Great Flood).

In Round Rock (not in the city limits, but close enough that you have to have a map to tell where you are in some places), you could try out Louisiana Longhorn for really good Louisiana cooking (just about as good as any I've had in Louisiana, in fact, which makes sense, considering that they're from there). Even if you're not going to live in the surrounding area, you probably ought to check it out. Oh, and for something definitely NOT "Austintatious", there's the Domain in North Austin.

If you like Louisiana food and don't want to head north, check out Cypress Grill just west of Mopac and William Cannon. And while you're south, check out Central Market (Westgate shopping center just south of Ben White and South Lamar - you could check it out while you're at Azul Tequila, in fact), or check out the original Central Market on North Lamar between 38th and 45th. Either one is likely someplace you're going to want to shop occasionally when you live here, though HEB will probably be your staple. We have Sam's and Costco's north and south, as well, if that's your thing, and there are an assortment of health food stores, from Sun Harvest to Sprouts to others.

If you get a chance and have time, have dinner and a movie at one of the Alamo Draft House locations (another Austin tradition).

You might want to look at the Mueller neighborhood, where the airport used to be - one of our attempts at new urbanism, and not that far from downtown, though you might want to cut over and avoid I35 going there. (I avoid I35 whenever possible, there are so many other back ways to get places quicker and with less hassle and since I've been here since 1969, I know where they are - watched a lot of them being built, in fact.)

Old 02-08-2010, 10:58 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,000,738 times
Skip Azul Tequila. It's overrated and outside central Austin. I second the Hula Hut suggestion + you can stop in Mozart's next door afterwards. Maybe take a free tour of the LCRA Red Bud Center next address on the other side if you are into sustainable design, and it will give you a complete picture of what to expect in regards to native vegetation, terrain and landscaping. They have a 1/4 acre model of the highland lake chain with manually operating dams and waterfalls. I thought it was fascinating. The Ladybird Wildflower center in SW Austin down Mopac(gorgeous area) is a good primer as well. The funky areas of Austin would be south of the river, but there are good places north as well. The area around UT has attractions and boutiques, but you are getting both the good and bad that comes with a part of town overcrowded with 18-to-25 year olds. The area west of town is the most beautiful, but the only destination I could think of would be the Oasis or the Hill Country Galleria. The drive along Bee Caves road is beautiful. There are wineries West and SW of town in the Hill country, but it's a drive (15-25 miles). If you have time to wander, I would recommend the Mandolo (nice, but pricy/snooty) or Driftwood Estates (personal favorite is their "SuperTexan"). It's more humble and less expensive, but the view is outstanding, and the wine is as good as anywhere else.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:24 AM

Azul Tequila is not overrated - as a confirmed foodie, I can say that it's on a par with Fonda San Miguel as far as food is concerned, you're just not paying for atmosphere, you're paying for food. Make sure to order from the interior Mexican side of the menu, though.

Bee Caves Road is pretty, but not as pretty as it used to be before it was straightened because folks just could not slow down nor could they drive worth a darn and they insisted on moving out there anyway, so in deference to the lowest common denominator they widened and straightened it.

I just realized that none of us has mentioned BBQ! Shameful! For the experience, and the drive, you might want to drive out to Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood. There's a Salt Lick in Round Rock, as well, but I haven't tried it, and half the pleasure of the Driftwood location is, well, it's location and ambiance. For the best BBQ in the area, head down to Luling (when you get to Lockhart, popularly considered BBQ Mecca, keep driving until you get to City Market in Luling - dramatically better BBQ). If you MUST stop in Lockhart, go to Black's. Won't suggest you head out to Llano to Cooper's, et al, since you won't be here for long enough to do a true BBQ tour, but make a point of it once you've moved here.

For BBQ in town, Iron Works is reliable. Likewise, Ruby's by campus has always come through (and has some interesting sides last time I was there).

Do you get the idea that we're all about the food here? ;-)

I second the Lady Bird Wildflower Center and check out the veloway nearby if you're into biking.

The Hill Country Galleria is just another shopping center with all the usual stores, I believe. Used to be really nice out there, but it's getting somewhat overbuilt.

For hiking, and I don't recommend doing this on this trip, head up to Georgetown to the Goodwater Trail (26 miles around Lake Georgetown), or to Pedernales Falls State Park. There's other places, but those two will give you a feel for some of the possibilities.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:26 PM

Lots more great ideas!

I'm actually a vegetarian, though am comfortable in meat-eating establishments assuming they have something for me to eat. I do occasionally eat fish and seafood mainly due to ease. I've seen that Austin is fairly veggie-friendly.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:32 PM

372 posts, read 1,146,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I just realized that none of us has mentioned BBQ! Shameful! For the experience, and the drive, you might want to drive out to Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood. There's a Salt Lick in Round Rock, as well, but I haven't tried it, and half the pleasure of the Driftwood location is, well, it's location and ambiance.
Darn, how did I forget the Salt Lick. One of my absolute favorite eateries. I live about a mile away from the Salt Lick in Round Rock as the crow flies and they tried to create the same atmosphere as the Driftwood location but it seems somewhat out of place. In RR, everything is brand new and freshly painted whereas in Driftwood, everything is aged and rustic. In RR, you are right next to the Dell Diamond with a big parking lot right next door. In Driftwood, you are out in the middle of the scenic hill country. Definitely take a drive to the Salt Lick in Driftwood if you get a chance. And bring your own cooler, that part of Hays county is dry.

Edit: Woops, sorry. Posted this before I saw that you were a vegetarian.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:31 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,041,476 times
I didn't like Azul Tequila. I used to love the Hula Hut but that last couple of times I went there I was REALLY disappointed. But I love the Salt Lick - and so does, apparently, the Travel Channel: Chowdown Countdown Top 5 BBQ - 101 Tastiest Places to Chowdown Video - Travel Channel which ranked in number 1 in the country.

If you are a vegetarian, you can eat the veggie plate at the Salt Lick, it includes beans, potato salad, and coleslaw. I don't know if it's worth it for you, but the drive out there is fabulous.

I really like the South Congress Cafe and right now they are running a special where all food items on the menu are 20% on Sunday -Wednesday nights. They have seafood and vegetarian entrees.

A question? Who does the "foodie confirmation" in these parts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin