Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 12:07 PM

56 posts, read 234,347 times

Advertisements

I took my 6 year old boy to the Summer camp fair last weekend. We were there to find some day camps that he would enjoy, but he became really interested in some of the overnight camps. Several of these camps have a minimum age of 6 years old. That seems really young for a week-long overnight camp, and I have my doubts as to whether or not he could make it all week. Do any of you have experience sending your 6 / 7 year old child to an overnight camp? Do you know of any we should check into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 12:26 PM

178 posts, read 458,743 times
Yep, BTDT. She cried when we left her (for about 5 mins we learned later), and REALLY cried when it was time to say goodbye to her new friends and come home. Later extended to two weeks, it was the high point of her year until high school. Camp Huawni is the only one we have experience with. It's a long haul from Austin. There are others closer that I'm sure are as good.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:10 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,903,046 times
6 or 7 years old is too young for overnight camp, no matter what the personality or maturity of your child's age is... just my opinion.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:33 PM

372 posts, read 1,148,667 times
My oldest is 10 and he is just now going on overnight camps with the Boy Scouts without us. I think this is probably the right age for this type of experience. I agree that 6 is awfully young.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
We first went as kids when we were eight, which is probably the earliest most camps will take kids. Looking at my kids and my friends kids, this seems to be pretty much the limit that most are ready. Six does seem a bit young...

Old 02-09-2010, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,551 times
soliciting? it is a forum i was just asking peoples opinion who gives you the right to delete my thread?

Old 02-09-2010, 03:45 PM

178 posts, read 458,743 times
Oops, I didn't address the age part when I answered. Ours was 9 or 10 when she first went to camp. There was a younger group there, but not my much, so I'll bet 8 was the minimum age to attend.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:23 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Six does seem a bit young. But, my daughter attended Laity Lodge Youth Camp for several years and it was the highlight of her summers.

LLYC is in Leakey Texas, on the Frio River. They have two camps, Singing Hills for 7-12 year olds and Echo Valley, for kids through the 11th grade. It's Christian-based, so that may or may not be to your liking. The setting is beautiful...you actually drive down the Frio river (it's shallow) to take your child to the camp site.

Registration has already taken place, and at this point you might have to get on a waiting list. I put this off for several years due to the cost of an overnight camp, however I wish I had enrolled her at a much younger age so she could have had even more great memories of her years at LLYC. Camp sessions are for two weeks, but they have a jam session mid-summer for one week.
Laity Lodge Youth Camp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin