Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,558 times

Advertisements

the original bums vs College students thread was deleted for "Soliciting, I think" what is that sopose to mean? Im asking a question not asking for anything! so please do not delete!

"Hello my name is Jordan. I am 19 yrs old, I just moved to Austin in late August I have looked for a job at several places and I can't help but notice all the bums on the road. I mean at every light there is somebody. Well i still havn't found a job and I wonder, would people give me money before a bum? I mean my rent is paid by my dad and so is my school. All I have to pay for is FOOD, truck, gas, and cell phone. Would it be looked bad upon if i stood on the corner with a sign that said broke college student how bout a dollar? If homeless/drug addicted bums can make a living off the community, shouldn't a good looking hard working college student look to his community for a couple of bucks. I mean giving bums money is more than likely gonna end up going to drugs and alcohol. Where giving me money would go toward supporting a kid that is tryin to get a college degree so I can make better money in the future to keep the economy going!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 03:47 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Just pocket the money your dad gives you for rent and live at the ARCH - It will be a wonderful life experience.

If you are 19 y.o. and you get school and rent paid for by your parents, you are doing a lot better than I did at 18 y.o. When I graduated HS, I was truly out on my own and I benefited greatly from the experience. I managed to get through school sharing a duplex for 500/mo. with a roommate while making $8/hr. Coming up with $2,000-$3,000 extra every six months was a challenging experience when your bi-weekly paychecks were around $500. I didn't get a dime from my folks either. You'll live.

Last edited by jobert; 02-09-2010 at 03:58 PM..

Old 02-09-2010, 04:29 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,841 times
If your main point is to complain about "bums" then you've got a long life ahead of you. Bums aren't going to vanish any time in the next several decades. Panhandling might get outlawed but people will still find ways to solicit money from others.

Other than that, I really don't get the point of the post. If you want to stand on a street corner then, by all means, do it. But you said that you're "hard working" so I don't know how you'd have time to stand there and solicit money from passersby unless you were studying at the same time.

Strange attitude, but good luck to you anyway!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:36 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Would it be looked bad upon if i stood on the corner with a sign that said broke college student how bout a dollar?
Not as badly as your demonstrated writing level as a college student. I assume UT didn't accept you based on an essay. Focus up. Become valuable. If you want to be funny and make sarcastic commentary about bums, go to open mike at the Comedy Club and earn some gigs.

Austin tolerates our homeless and downtrodden. We take a dimmer view of capable people who want handouts. If you have the support of your parents, respect them by using your opportunity to the fullest and making efforts they'd be proud of and that you can actually list on your future resume.

Good Luck,

Steve

Old 02-09-2010, 07:16 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,830 times
Actually I am shocked by the homeless beggers AND the youth sports fundraising with children on the corners too. As to the homeless, I'm suprised "conservative" Texans are so tolerant. In California in the fairly liberal town I'm from, they actually criminalized street begging. As to the children on the street corners darting up to cars for handouts. What in the hell are their parents thinking???!!!! I would never let my child stand at a busy intersection to beg for money for sports. Not cool.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:24 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
Goes to show you that you can't put people in neat little boxes, as far as liberal/conservative.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:53 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Not as badly as your demonstrated writing level as a college student. I assume UT didn't accept you based on an essay. Focus up. Become valuable. If you want to be funny and make sarcastic commentary about bums, go to open mike at the Comedy Club and earn some gigs.

Austin tolerates our homeless and downtrodden. We take a dimmer view of capable people who want handouts. If you have the support of your parents, respect them by using your opportunity to the fullest and making efforts they'd be proud of and that you can actually list on your future resume.

Good Luck,

Steve
Steve, that was brutally harsh and deliciously funny!

In fairness to Jordan, his writing is typical of American college students. When I taught seniors in Marketing at UT, I was appalled by the dismal lack of proficiency in their native language. Often the most articulate writers with the largest vocabularies were foreign students for whom English was a second language. And this was back in the early '90s before text messages and online chat accelerated the enfeeblement of the common lexicon.

Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
Actually I am shocked by the homeless beggers AND the youth sports fundraising with children on the corners too. As to the homeless, I'm suprised "conservative" Texans are so tolerant. In California in the fairly liberal town I'm from, they actually criminalized street begging. As to the children on the street corners darting up to cars for handouts. What in the hell are their parents thinking???!!!! I would never let my child stand at a busy intersection to beg for money for sports. Not cool.
I have not seen children fundraising in traffic. That is really alarming.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:15 AM

163 posts, read 318,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhicks09024 View Post
the original bums vs College students thread was deleted for "Soliciting, I think" what is that sopose to mean? Im asking a question not asking for anything! so please do not delete!

"Hello my name is Jordan. I am 19 yrs old, I just moved to Austin in late August I have looked for a job at several places and I can't help but notice all the bums on the road. I mean at every light there is somebody. Well i still havn't found a job and I wonder, would people give me money before a bum? I mean my rent is paid by my dad and so is my school. All I have to pay for is FOOD, truck, gas, and cell phone. Would it be looked bad upon if i stood on the corner with a sign that said broke college student how bout a dollar? If homeless/drug addicted bums can make a living off the community, shouldn't a good looking hard working college student look to his community for a couple of bucks. I mean giving bums money is more than likely gonna end up going to drugs and alcohol. Where giving me money would go toward supporting a kid that is tryin to get a college degree so I can make better money in the future to keep the economy going!"
there is so much wrong with this. most notably, your grammar is pathetic for an assumed "college student". i'm sure you'll lower the grading curve to everyone's advantage.

it would seem as if you wouldn't NEED to stand on a corner and beg for money, as the majority of your basic necessities are paid for by someone else. begging is generally reserved for those who require small amounts of funding to survive.

there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to pay for your "FOOD, truck, gas, and cell phone". there are numerous part time jobs available within the city today, that would more than facilitate your needs. i'd be willing to guess, considering your obvious lack of common sense, that you havn't performed the neccesary leg work to achieve your goals. does "truck" imply that you have a car payment? if so, why in the hell would you have such an expense at 19, while you apparently are unable to afford food?

it is a grossly bigoted outlook on the homeless, to assume they will only use money for drugs or alcohol. there are many in austin, including myself, who commonly give the homeless food, drinks and clothing. at no point have these items been rejected as if they were unneeded. they were taken with open arms, and normally embraced with sincere thanks. unless i've formed a relationship with someone less fortunate, i never give cash. not because i think "they'll just buy booze and drugs", but because i don't believe money helps the homeless directly as much as providing the items they actually need to survive. do you know anyone personally, who is homeless? how have you come to such assumptions concerning their behavior? i suggest you spend some time getting to know the ones in need, closest to you. volunteer at a shelter or a food bank. live in reality, don't just dwell in your ignorance. actually get out and interact with the north american decay that is suffering, and wandering around the corners of our streets

"If homeless/drug addicted bums can make a living off the community, shouldn't a good looking hard working college student look to his community for a couple of bucks." no. once again, this is gross and arrogant speculation to believe that bums are "drug addicted". furthermore, inherently "bums" are "homeless". i believe the fact that you've stated "good looking" as if it matters, surely proves how vain you are. if i saw you standing on a corner begging for money for the explanation you've provided, it would take every ounce of self control not to wildly accelerate my car in your direction.

i don't understand the point of your post, but take this scenario into consideration. my mother, while raising my brother and i, decided to go to college at age 35. she attended a world renowned liberal arts school, while paying her own rent and the majority of tuition costs. my mother was single and not provided assistance for food, gas or further expenses. not only did she graduate with exceptional honors, she did it while raising two rowdy boys and employed at multiple part time jobs. i don't feel sorry for you.

grow up.

Last edited by absolutely; 02-10-2010 at 01:38 AM..

Old 02-10-2010, 01:26 AM

163 posts, read 318,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
enfeeblement of the common lexicon
nice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: