Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2007, 08:28 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times

Advertisements

There is another thread about Scenic Drives in Austin. Why not get out of the car and walk? There are a lot of interesting places to go and see on foot in Austin (though you may have to drive to get there).

Some of my favorites walks/hikes:

1) Walking the Barton Creek hike and bike trail from Mopac to Twin Falls and taking a swim at Twin Falls. (Now is a perfect time with the water flowing)
Twin Falls - Barton Creek Greenbelt

2) Walking around Town Lake from the Mopac foot bridge to Congress Ave and back around.

3) Hiking up Mt. Bonnell. More Scenic looking than walking, but the hike up will cause many to huff and puff.
Mount Bonnell Austin aka Mt. Bonnell Austin

4) Walking North on Congress Avenue to the Capital at noon on a weekday.

5) Walking 6th Street just after dark (9PM to 10PM) when many of the bands start kicking in after dinner at Pecan Street Cafe. (Though I don't like being at 6th Street late at night when the crazys start showing up)

6) South Congress (SoCo) shops on a weekend after lunch at Guerros. Some would say S. Congress on First Thursday, but the one and only time I took the family, there were a lot of drunks and we heard the F-word a few too many times for my taste. If I was young and single, though, First Thursday would be it for me.

7) A Walk through Stacy Park in Travis Heights and a swim in Big Stacy pool (year round, spring fed pool).

What would other locals add to the list?
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 10:06 PM

206 posts, read 1,310,827 times
Isn't there a hiking path up/around Mansfield Dam? Is that good?

Old 06-01-2007, 06:01 PM

701 posts, read 2,481,812 times
When we visited last year, we did #2 on Steve's list. Highly recommended! Some entrepreneur was selling bottled water on one end of the bridge. We also enjoyed walking around a nature center nearby but I can't remember what it was called.

We took the time to drive out the McKinney Falls and found really cool hiking over there. If we'd known, we would have brought our swim suits with us since we came upon a natural pool there.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:57 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
I think I remember seeing a bottled water salesperson on town lake a while back, but he would have some tough competition... RunTex, the local running store, provides cold water & cups free every day at the stretching area near the Mopac pedestrian bridge and the stretching area by the S First street bridge (Auditorium shores).

Old 06-02-2007, 11:34 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
I was told that there was something like the San Antonio Riverwalk somewhere in Austin but I could not find it. (Obviously it is not as large and elaborate or it would be well-known.)

Old 06-02-2007, 05:27 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,058 times
Start on E 12th St near Chicon and walk up a few blocks, visiting the boutiques along the way. Go one block north and circle back on 13th st. Especially romantic in the moonlight.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:06 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,050,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Start on E 12th St near Chicon and walk up a few blocks, visiting the boutiques along the way. Go one block north and circle back on 13th st. Especially romantic in the moonlight.
What boutiques would those be?

Old 06-02-2007, 06:14 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,058 times
Linda's Resale for one... I was just in there today and Linda is quite friendly and helpful. And don't forget the Fashion Grill Shop.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:49 AM

659 posts, read 1,758,974 times
My husband and I really enjoyed hiking around the Wild Basin Preserve (just off of Bee Cave): http://www.wildbasin.org/

It has a variety of trails to follow and you don't have to be an expert climber or have high tech gear. It's very scenic, but go in the morning - it gets too hot later in the day.

And if you're willing to drive ALL THE WAY to Round Rock - Old Settler's Park has a really nice 2.5 mile hike/bike trail. It's not as heavily wooded as something like Wild Basin, but I would say it's about as nice as Town Lake - maybe nicer...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin