Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 10:49 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,596,033 times

Advertisements

My sister and I both live in Hutto. She lives in the Legends of Hutto subdivision where this school is. Hank Scorpio is right and Jenbar is right too. ESL is separate from the English proficient classes. I called the school board and found out. Of course, I'm sure there could be some bilingual kids doing some bullying, but as a whole, I don't think it's running rampant in the 5 yr. old population. My daughter also has blonde hair and blue eyes and is in preschool in Hutto. So far, no problems. Whites are a majority here. There are also hispanics and blacks. I think for Legends, from what I've seen, there are more AA's there than hispanics. But as far as I can tell, most people don't have any race issues. There are no racial "enclave" neighborhoods around here. Both of my sisters next door neighbors are black. It's a little more White/Hispanic on this side of 79. All the hispanics, blacks, and white people I know here in my neighborhood and through playgroup seem like decent people with well disciplined and behaved kids who don't bully. I think I'll make a call to the superintendant or something and ask what they can do to address this bully problem before my kid gets into kindergarden. Maybe they need to have a school assembly addressing it or something. I would just address it as a problem I've heard is occuring without mentioning specific names, situations, etc...Or just ask them what their policy is about dealing with it. I think no matter where you live, it should be something that every parent work with the school on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 12:15 AM

155 posts, read 611,704 times
I am not kidding of joking and why on earth would my brother make any of this up??? I do know that he said the ESL is in a different room. But at this point I wonder if she is somehow put into the wrong room there? I have no clue I do not live there but I have gone to visit where he lives but mostly just stayed in his home and out to a few stores. Thanks for those of you who offered help on this issue. They are trying to get a transfer to another Hutto school right now. (the new Ray Elm.)

Old 09-13-2007, 06:49 AM

6,330 posts, read 17,986,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermont08 View Post
I am not kidding of joking and why on earth would my brother make any of this up??? I do know that he said the ESL is in a different room. But at this point I wonder if she is somehow put into the wrong room there? I have no clue I do not live there but I have gone to visit where he lives but mostly just stayed in his home and out to a few stores. Thanks for those of you who offered help on this issue. They are trying to get a transfer to another Hutto school right now. (the new Ray Elm.)
The best thing you could do would be to fly to Austin, stay with your relatives for a few days during the school week, and go visit some of the homes in the different Hutto neighborhoods, and visit the schools yourself. Show up unannounced and ask for a tour. Form your own opinions.

Forums like this can be very helpful for gathering basic info, but I've found that the accuracy of information can have very, very wide swings. It sounds also like your brother could be exagerating the facts and circumstances of your neices experience. If it was really like that, trust me, there would be news reporters sensationalizing the story on the nightly news. They live for this kind of thing. I expect the neice has been teased. I would also wonder why, if your brother has been teaching her Spanish, that she knows what all the bad words are? Something isn't adding up.

In any new, emerging community (not just Hutto), where most of the population does not have roots and almost everyone is new, the direction of the area depends largely on the involvement of the people. Love Roses is a "community builder" with a stakeholder's mentality. If there are a dozen people like her on every block and helping at the schools, things will be great.

So, if you decide to move to Hutto, or any rapidly growing community, you have to make the commitment to not simply move there to live, but move there to help build that community into what you want it to be. Ask not whether Hutto will be good for you, ask if you will be good for Hutto.
Steve

Old 09-13-2007, 08:16 AM

230 posts, read 542,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
The best thing you could do would be to fly to Austin, stay with your relatives for a few days during the school week, and go visit some of the homes in the different Hutto neighborhoods, and visit the schools yourself. Show up unannounced and ask for a tour. Form your own opinions.

Forums like this can be very helpful for gathering basic info, but I've found that the accuracy of information can have very, very wide swings. It sounds also like your brother could be exagerating the facts and circumstances of your neices experience. If it was really like that, trust me, there would be news reporters sensationalizing the story on the nightly news. They live for this kind of thing. I expect the neice has been teased. I would also wonder why, if your brother has been teaching her Spanish, that she knows what all the bad words are? Something isn't adding up.

In any new, emerging community (not just Hutto), where most of the population does not have roots and almost everyone is new, the direction of the area depends largely on the involvement of the people. Love Roses is a "community builder" with a stakeholder's mentality. If there are a dozen people like her on every block and helping at the schools, things will be great.

So, if you decide to move to Hutto, or any rapidly growing community, you have to make the commitment to not simply move there to live, but move there to help build that community into what you want it to be. Ask not whether Hutto will be good for you, ask if you will be good for Hutto.
Steve

That was well said. You are an asset to these boards.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:11 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,024,296 times
I agree mhudson, and thanks for your comments Austin-Steve!

Quote:
I would also wonder why, if your brother has been teaching her Spanish, that she knows what all the bad words are? Something isn't adding up.
I was thinking this same thing!

Old 09-13-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
I agree mhudson, and thanks for your comments Austin-Steve!

I was thinking this same thing!
Not that kind of bad 4 letter words, they say they have been calling her things like: "fat white trash can girl" that sort or thing. I am somewhat taken by the fat part because my niece is actually pretty skinny.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:05 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,596,033 times
I never thought of myself that way, Austin-Steve, but I do like the way you posted that. And Vermont08, who knows why kids come up with the mean things they do. I don't think your brother is making up a story about his daughter getting picked on, but I do doubt it's the ENTIRE class doing it. There's always a few who bully, and I agree it's not right. I hope she has a better experience at Ray.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:19 PM

I hope so too.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:54 PM

14 posts, read 60,316 times
Hutto clearly needs involved parents who are able to handle things which their kids tell them without causing the child some pain. The rapid growth of the area has stressed the high school. Be prepared for answers you really don't want to hear when you ask why the 11th grade assistant principal is not there. Then ask what happened to last year's policeman stationed at the school

Last year, they gave parents the opportunity to look at their children's progress after being 'vetted' as the child's parents, and one could do this by internet, but it failed to work. That option is not on the website this year.

Kids get lost, and it is very important to have a relationship with the child so that he trusts you not to do embarrass him. However, kids can get assigned to wrong classes that are now only getting corrected a month after school started.

Several years ago there was one merit scholar,and four were one less accomplished. Last year, no one was posted.

The ESL dropout rate is frightful, and if one checks, they all would be doing well, even if they weren't. The state checks on such things. ESL kids who come from grade school have been identiifed, but not picked up. Teachers often don't believe the kids who tell them that they are in ESL.

So long as the school does OK in football, everything is just fine. These children have one time through school. Yes, these are problems in other schools, but it is the responsiblity to protect one's kids and know what is going on.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:20 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,454,030 times
Wow, that would make me not want to move there.

You are correct when you say parents need to be invovled. I have Home Access for my child as well as teacherweb that keeps me up to date with his school life. I am glad they have made it easy for parents to be on top of the curriculum, schedule, and assigments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin