Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 10:41 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times

Advertisements

I think Portland International (PDX) beats it hands down and I fly through both frequently.

PDX has a Widmer Brew Pub on site and a branch of Powell's Book store in addition to a lot of other interesting businesses to frequent. It's the most pleasant airport I've spent time in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:29 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
Whomever wrote this article must have been smoking dope or something. Austin airport is probably among the WORST airports in the nation. Why?

1.) Very few flights overall. Connecting at DFW or IAH is still mostly needed.

2.) God awful food. Has no chain restaurants and subjects people to "local" restaurants that aren't even "locally owned"

3.) 9 times out of 10 they are piping country music into the airport. What a way to great travellers unfortunate enough to have to come here for business. Giddie up YA'LL!! Welcome to hillbilly haven where our pickup trucks speak louder than your voice!!! OMG!

4.) The worst "live music" known to man. Since nearly every musical band originating in Austin will never amount to anything, I think the airport specifically picks the bottom of THAT pile!!!

5.) No family lines in the security. Most real airports have family lines so that people with children can get through faster.

6.) Gift shops that have all Texas Longhorn items-basically the whole store filled with garbage wrapped in orange. Well don't get me started with the Longhorn obcessions in this little bity town.

I fly fairly regularly (i have to for regular breaks from this place), and try to fly out of DFW if I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Hats off to Austin-Bergstrom International - ranked "best airport" in North America, 2nd best in the world:

Life: Style, Books, Gardening, Health, Fitness and Travel | Statesman.com

and designed by a local firm, at that: Austin-Bergstrom International Airport Barbara Jordan Passenger Terminal (http://www.pspaec.com/index.php/government-civic/austin-bergstrom-international-airport-passenger-terminal.html - broken link)

Old 02-17-2010, 01:31 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm57553 View Post
It's nice, it's clean, but it's not the best. The one complaint I have is that all of the food, drinks, etc. are INSIDE the terminal. So, if you are picking someone up and their flight is delayed, you are basically stuck sitting at baggage claim staring at the carousels. There is one small coffee shop, but they close at like 7:00. So, if you're there late, you're screwed.
There is one place I know of, dunno if it's the coffee shop you are talking about, called Fara's Cafe and Sports bar. It's right by the Southwest ticket counters, outside security (tip -- the security checkpoint near Southwest is usually shorter lines than the main one by the other airline ticket counters. Doesn't really matter, though, neither one is really ever long).

Old 02-17-2010, 01:53 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Whomever wrote this article must have been smoking dope or something. Austin airport is probably among the WORST airports in the nation. Why?
Quote:
1.) Very few flights overall. Connecting at DFW or IAH is still mostly needed.
That article compared ABIA to airports of similar size. Not to DFW, IAH, or Hartsfield. I too wish Austin had more direct flights - but it will not change much with two very large international airports (and the hubs for AA and CO) nearby.

Quote:
2.) God awful food. Has no chain restaurants and subjects people to "local" restaurants that aren't even "locally owned"
This is funny. Most people I know are sick and tired of TGIF, Chilis, Seattle's Best, McD, and other national chains at airports. I think Schlotsky's, Amy's, Maudies, and Mangia's easily beats Au Bon Pain, Baskin Robbins, (insert chain Mexican here), and Pizza Hut. I wish Austin had a McDonalds because sometimes I just want an Egg McMuffin. And McDonalds coffee is actually quite good. I also think Waterloo Ice House has always sucked. But I like the Austin airport food a lot.

Quote:
3.) 9 times out of 10 they are piping country music into the airport. What a way to great travellers unfortunate enough to have to come here for business. Giddie up YA'LL!! Welcome to hillbilly haven where our pickup trucks speak louder than your voice!!! OMG!
They must plan that for your arrival. I seem to hear Stevie Ray and the Fabulous Thunderbirds when I'm there. They like me more than you.

Quote:
4.) The worst "live music" known to man. Since nearly every musical band originating in Austin will never amount to anything, I think the airport specifically picks the bottom of THAT pile!!!
I'm not a fan of singer-songwriter music in general (seems to be what is in ABIA most often). But I think it is great when they are playing live. The only live music I have seen in another airport is kids singing Christmas carols. I like the ABIA music much better.

Quote:
5.) No family lines in the security. Most real airports have family lines so that people with children can get through faster.
Hmm. I don't see these anywhere anymore.

Quote:
6.) Gift shops that have all Texas Longhorn items-basically the whole store filled with garbage wrapped in orange. Well don't get me started with the Longhorn obcessions in this little bity town.
Scary that I might agree with you on this. Way too much burnt orange for my taste. But I do like the ACL goods.

Quote:
I fly fairly regularly (i have to for regular breaks from this place), and try to fly out of DFW if I can.
I'm surprised you haven't yet booked a one-way flight.

The Austin airport has very low hassle factor, usually has affordable parking, is clean and airy, and I like the food. I only wish it had free wi-fi.

Compare ABIA to San Jose, serving a similar market and number of gates. SJ is an awful airport. All chain food, horrible security, ridiculous line for Starbucks, and completely generic newstands for shopping. Horrible rental car management.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:15 PM

313 posts, read 786,108 times
I fly 2-3 times/month all over the country and sometimes global and I love AUS.

Family lines? Maybe I'm too young, but I don't remember ever seeing these anywhere. Who needs family lines anway, I rarely wait more than 5-10 minutes at security there which is why I love that airport.

Food? Are you kidding me? You WANT McDonalds? I leave 30 minutes early for any flight if its a morning flight so I can get brisket, egg and cheese tacos at the taco bar. I plan around eating at that airport. I also like Mangia for lunch.

I'm not a big music person, but I like coming home to a band playing at the airport. Makes me feel like I'm home in Austin because its so unique.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 4,167 times
I have never seen a live band at the airport.What part of the airport do they perform?

Old 02-17-2010, 02:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saugs99 View Post
I have never seen a live band at the airport.What part of the airport do they perform?
The main stage is across from the open-air looking bar, kinda right in the middle of the gates. Live music is quite regular at the airport, but it doesn't go on all day.. so if you tend to fly in/fly out at certain similar times, you may never catch it.

Here is the schedule, though:

Music in the Air - Musical Performances at Austin-Bergstrom

Old 02-18-2010, 06:50 AM

433 posts, read 1,657,287 times
I love ABIA. Houston airport has my vote for worst in America.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:29 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
Ah sir, but San Jose is about to open a brand new terminal paid for with lots of bonds and tax payers money. I am anxious to see it when I go out there in July.!! It will likely run circles around ABIA, and you won't hear any hillbilly music when you walk off the jetway into the beautiful facility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
That article compared ABIA to airports of similar size. Not to DFW, IAH, or Hartsfield. I too wish Austin had more direct flights - but it will not change much with two very large international airports (and the hubs for AA and CO) nearby.

This is funny. Most people I know are sick and tired of TGIF, Chilis, Seattle's Best, McD, and other national chains at airports. I think Schlotsky's, Amy's, Maudies, and Mangia's easily beats Au Bon Pain, Baskin Robbins, (insert chain Mexican here), and Pizza Hut. I wish Austin had a McDonalds because sometimes I just want an Egg McMuffin. And McDonalds coffee is actually quite good. I also think Waterloo Ice House has always sucked. But I like the Austin airport food a lot.

They must plan that for your arrival. I seem to hear Stevie Ray and the Fabulous Thunderbirds when I'm there. They like me more than you.

I'm not a fan of singer-songwriter music in general (seems to be what is in ABIA most often). But I think it is great when they are playing live. The only live music I have seen in another airport is kids singing Christmas carols. I like the ABIA music much better.

Hmm. I don't see these anywhere anymore.

Scary that I might agree with you on this. Way too much burnt orange for my taste. But I do like the ACL goods.

I'm surprised you haven't yet booked a one-way flight.

The Austin airport has very low hassle factor, usually has affordable parking, is clean and airy, and I like the food. I only wish it had free wi-fi.

Compare ABIA to San Jose, serving a similar market and number of gates. SJ is an awful airport. All chain food, horrible security, ridiculous line for Starbucks, and completely generic newstands for shopping. Horrible rental car management.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:52 PM

18 posts, read 56,754 times
Default ABIA is nice

ABIA is a nice airport for its size. I agree with others it could improve in several areas especially the food and entertainment. For example, better sandwich shops, real "eat-in" restaurants, nicer bars and lounges not just for those traveling but also for the people bidding them bye or meeting them. Most of the stands currently close too early and give Austin a really small town feel yet Austin has now grown up for sure. The music does not have to be all country all day. For those cities with direct flights, the in and out time at ABIA is unbeatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin