U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:40 AM

2,211 posts, read 4,448,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
There was some news article about changing tastes in housing, and how the media room and formal dining room were currently very low on people's list of needs. Of course, that could also change by the time you are selling .
I saw that article. They were basically saying that there are large changes to new homes from 10 years ago. Most people want smaller houses, as opposed to 10 years ago when a childless couple thought they couldn't exist without at least 8000 sq ft. Home theaters are becoming less popular, as are dining rooms, 2nd floor laundry rooms and so on.

There is no way to predict what trends will be popular when you come to sale your house in 10 years. The best advice I can give you is "flexibility". Do what is best for YOUR family right now, it is your house after all, but be flexible in your plans and don't change the dining room so much that it can't be changed back if trends have changed when it comes time for you to sale.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 09:23 AM

658 posts, read 1,864,969 times
At one time we needed an extra bedroom. We sectioned off the dining room with tall book cases facing the "bedroom" and a curtain for the door. It worked well for the time we needed it and then it was turned back into an unused dining room. If it was to be permanent I would have made bookcases facing the living room and put french doors between them.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:02 AM

7,448 posts, read 8,435,772 times
I, for one, happen to loe my formal dining room. And we actually do use it. However, I recognize that not everyone sees them this way. My biggest concern with converting it is that it would probably be a very awkward place to have a bedroom or any other closed-off room. Usually they are near the entry, which means you will walk in and see a big wall. Just seems like it would close the house off too much.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:32 AM

14,437 posts, read 31,754,973 times
We use our formal 'dining' room as a sun room, sort of. It is just ot the left as you come in the front door, but has wonderful morning light. It makes much more sense as an office or a den, though, since it is not directly connected to the kitchen. We are in the process of converting it to an informal office and have not yet decided whether or not to put in French doors. We probably won't, but I have seen it look very nice that way. It is possible we could install a wall-bed (don't know the official term). We tend to have frequent guests (sometimes several family members) and with the growing number of kids it would be useful to have more sleeping space for occasionaly use.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 02-17-2010 at 11:29 AM..

Old 02-17-2010, 10:45 AM

428 posts, read 979,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It is possible we could install a wall-bed (don't know the official term).
Like this: Murphy Bed Company

I really want one for our guest room. We have overnight guests maybe 5 days a year and that sort of set up would allow us to make use of a guest room the other 360 days, reducing the sq footage and number of rooms we need.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:38 AM

6,286 posts, read 16,592,521 times
I would convert it in a way that is easy to undo, and I agree with the using french doors.

It's always best to market a home in it's original configuration when selling. Putting up solid walls can negatively impact the distribution of light through the home and it can disrupt "sight lines" that make a home feel bigger, especially an 1800 sqft home. Especially also if you turn an open area into a dark cave.

A conversion opportunity that I do always look for and point out to buyers is when a 4th bedroom has a common wall adjacent the main entry. Those are ripe for converting with french doors into an office/flex room and most builders have either way as an option nowadays.

Without seeing your floorplan it's hard to know for sure. Upload a pic or a link to your layout.

Steve

Old 03-23-2010, 04:25 AM

17 posts, read 43,550 times
We use our formal dining room as an office...It was a waste of space as a formal dining room and I love being on my computer now...I was cramped in a small corner of the bedroom before but now I actually get alot of use out of my office :-) My sister thinks it is horrible to have switched my formal dining room into an office...

Its your house...do what is best for your family and will make you happy...

Old 03-23-2010, 06:15 AM

3,788 posts, read 6,309,733 times
My two cents: it's your house, do as you please. Personally, I'll utilize our home to suit our needs. Do you have an HOA? You might want to check and see if changing the inside of your house is sanctioned.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:22 AM

36 posts, read 137,079 times
We are building a home and will use the formal dining as a playroom for the kids. You could always use it a s a den and change it back to a dining room. I also think a study is a great idea with french doors. Unless you can put a closet in there it wont be considered a bedroom.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 AM

14,437 posts, read 31,754,973 times
Quote:
You might want to check and see if changing the inside of your house is sanctioned.
I seriously doubt that an HOA can regulate inside your home (perhaps you are being tounge in cheek? ), but you quite possible might need a building permit from the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: