Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 01:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,814 times

Advertisements

My Love and I currently live in San Francisco. We are thinking of moving to a more affordable place. I am a Texan and went to UT and he is Palestinian.

I remember loving going to school in Austin, and thinking that it was a very liberal place. But that was the perspecive of a white girl at college living in Austin 10-15 years ago. I would love to live there again, but I would never bring my partner there unless he will be treated as a person and accepted.

Can anyone tell me if there are diverse neighborhoods where we wouldn't be outcasts? Are there muslim or middle eastern communities in austin? How would I find resources to find out about this?

Thanks for your time and help. When I lived there, I didn't have any friends from the middle eastern community, and wasn't exposed to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 08:15 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,100,141 times
Yes, there are Muslim and Middle Eastern communities here! Not huge numbers of course, it will be a smaller and more diverse community than SF for sure.

UT has an excellent Center for Middle Eastern Studies and a first-class Arabic program. There is a Muslim student organization at UT and a Palestine Solidarity Committee (you have to be a UT student, staff or faculty to join).

There are several mosques in Austin and an Islamic school. Here are links to the two largest Sunni congregations.

Islamic Center of Greater Austin :: Main

North Austin Muslim Community Center::Home

I have had friends who wore hijab who were sometimes mistaken for nuns or given poor service at restaurants, or asked questions on buses but that's about it. Texas is a pretty tolerant place, live and let live. I don't think you will have many problems on that front but Austin is certainly not SF. You might miss the city more than you think!

good luck!

ca

Old 02-17-2010, 08:21 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
In a reverse kind of way, Austin is MORE tolerant than SF. I love to visit SF, but I find its politics and government amazingly intolerant at times.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:18 PM

580 posts, read 1,081,538 times
Oh I don't think your partner should worry at all about that. Austin is indeed a pretty liberal place and accepting of anyone. Even the suburbs like Cedar Park and Round Rock are fine as well. I won't go so far as to say we have a Little Palestine district, but it's pretty chill.
I'm sure there are several groups that would suit his needs just fine. I know several of my Middle Eastern/Muslim friends have gotten involved with groups on the UT and ACC campus, and I'm sure there are other groups as well.
I hope you two find a nice place to settle down, be it Austin or someplace else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin