U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:01 PM

587 posts, read 1,353,511 times

Advertisements

Apparently his wife is Sheryl Stack an Austin musician.

Last edited by Crystal is a mess; 02-18-2010 at 02:21 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 02-18-2010, 02:08 PM

164 posts, read 282,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoroughly modern millie View Post
Apparently his wife is Sheryl Stack and Austin musician.
...as if this couldn't possibly be depressing enough.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:08 PM

428 posts, read 959,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutely View Post
the point is though, that the isp didn't remove the document only hours after the incident.
Agreed. Although I'm not interested in playing "who's on the grassy knoll". I just don't think pedophiles should be allowed a forum for fame... they should be marched out into the desert and shot, with no fanfare.

With this guy, some will label him a crackpot, others a revolutionary, but in the end, the facts are he's guilty of attempted murder. Peoples lives are worth more than politics. And despite his best efforts, he'll be nothing more than a footnote in the Post 9/11 world in a few years and the only thing that will have changed is his wife no longer has a husband and his daughter no longer has a father and their lives will be forever impacted by being relatives of "that guy who flew the plane into the building in Austin". It's just sad.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
you're so off base. i would love to live in the world you do.

"There are ways that we can understand why he may have been motivated to take such actions" - yeah, by reading the manifesto.
Well I do believe Stack touched on such people in his missive.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runemaster View Post
Agreed. Although I'm not interested in playing "who's on the grassy knoll". I just don't think pedophiles should be allowed a forum for fame... they should be marched out into the desert and shot, with no fanfare.

With this guy, some will label him a crackpot, others a revolutionary, but in the end, the facts are he's guilty of attempted murder. Peoples lives are worth more than politics. And despite his best efforts, he'll be nothing more than a footnote in the Post 9/11 world in a few years and the only thing that will have changed is his wife no longer has a husband and his daughter no longer has a father and their lives will be forever impacted by being relatives of "that guy who flew the plane into the building in Austin". It's just sad.
Except when it comes to war I'm led to believe. Just sayin.....

Old 02-18-2010, 02:14 PM

428 posts, read 959,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
We are responsible for everything we do. No one else controls our actions.
Just quoting that because too many people seem to fail to grasp this basic tenant of freedom.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:29 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,078,906 times
Quote:
the point is though, that the isp didn't remove the document only hours after the incident.
I think the ISP might have reacted to the thousands of hits on its site that it wasn't prepared to take. His site might have a set limit and the thousands, or millions, of hits caused the ISP to shut it down. Economics.

I was probably going up to take a look at the site. The incident reminded me of Heaven's Gate back in the 90's. I remember making a link to their site back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heaven&...eligious_group)

I'm afraid that this incident will be watched by the true terrosists who might start some copy cat events.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:32 PM

164 posts, read 282,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
I think the ISP might have reacted to the thousands of hits on its site that it wasn't prepared to take. His site might have a set limit and the thousands, or millions, of hits caused the ISP to shut it down. Economics.

I was probably going up to take a look at the site. The incident reminded me of Heaven's Gate back in the 90's. I remember making a link to their site back in the day.

I'm afraid that this incident will be watched by the true terrosists who might start some copy cat events.
you are quite possibly correct. although the site would have rapidly experienced increased bandwidth regardless of the info being taken off the site.

either way, it would appear as if the isp for embeddedart.com has put a link on the page to the complete manifesto, which i'm pleasantly surprised by. although, now thesmokinggun.com will see those millions of hits in return.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:34 PM

680 posts, read 1,255,238 times
Stack's manifesto is on tens of thousands of websites already, so if anyone wants to read it just do a search on some terms like "manifesto Austin plane IRS" and you'll be overwhelmed with options.

It's a good read. I'm trying to divorce the atrocity he committed from the articulate letter he wrote. It's pathetic that all the mainstream news outlets are referring to his manifesto as rambling, insane, and hard to follow. I spent 6 years grading the papers of seniors in Marketing at UT and their writing was far less coherent than what was written by Joe Stack.

Unfortunately, his method for expressing his rage will only serve to empower the very government interests against which he railed. Now anyone who posts anything sympathetic to him will probably get on the Homeland Security radar. Stack was right about most of what he said.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:34 PM

14,008 posts, read 30,852,913 times
The site did say that the post was taken down by the FBI; however, I think it did point to another site that did have the contents included. The FBI may have been searching additional info on his site and did not want all the hits or possibly someone else with access removing/altering anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin