U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:38 PM

164 posts, read 283,010 times

Advertisements

"Due to the FBI request AND the high bandwidth/load usage, we wouldn't be able to put the entire site back up. We did the next best thing though and are linking to the archived version at the smoking gun. You can see the original letter in it's entirety through the link we provided."

this quote is taken from the owner of the isp that embeddedart.com is hosted on {t35.com}, on their forum. i think this is VERY admirable of the owner, to link to an alternate site even after the fbi request of removal. i'm also very impressed with the majority of users on the t35 forum, who express a keen understanding of joe stack's manifesto. the owner of t35 also personally credited joe's account $500 to increase his allowed bandwidth, which unfortunately was futile as the 100k size of the site was still enough to threaten crippling the host's servers.

Texas crash pilot left suicide note on Web site - embeddedart.com (http://www.helpingwebmasters.com/announcements/texas-crash-pilot-left-suicide-note-on-web-site-embeddedartcom-t5498.0.html - broken link)

Last edited by absolutely; 02-18-2010 at 02:58 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 02-18-2010, 02:39 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,849,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoroughly modern millie View Post
Nothing justifies taking the life of innocent people I agree...but when it comes to big brother I say why by whatever means necessary. It's a shame he was driven to commit such an act.
He wasn't driven by anything, he was deluded.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:39 PM

14,015 posts, read 30,855,743 times
Quote:
Stack was right about most of what he said.
I can paraphrase his post:
I tried to be greedy and dodge taxes, got caught and had to pay, now I am going to call everyone else greedy and try to kill some people.

His post is very well written, but only includes information, of course, that makes him look like the victim. Being dead and all now, he doesn't have to answer any questions that may have been difficult or embarrassing to answer.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:07 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,851,763 times
So did he set his home on fire with his family inside? (What time would it have been?) If he did...why?

Has his wife been interviewed? Where did he work (or office)? Have any co-workers been interviewed?

Old 02-18-2010, 03:09 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,219,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
So did he set his home on fire with his family inside? (What time would it have been?) If he did...why?

Has his wife been interviewed? Where did he work (or office)? Have any co-workers been interviewed?
He was self employed. His wife and step daughter are in seclusion and will make a statement tomorrow. They were not home when he set that house on fire (from what I understand), they came home to a burning house (they'd spent the night at a hotel after a heated argument last night)

Old 02-18-2010, 03:09 PM

587 posts, read 1,353,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post

According to reports, neighbours helped she and her daughter out. There is a picture of her and the girl on her face book page. Not sure if it was there house, but cozy nice livingroom with fire place.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:10 PM

14,015 posts, read 30,855,743 times
I have heard some interesting stuff on this (the house fire/explosion), but not sure if they are public. Will have to wait to see if they do come out or if they are just rumors (in which case I have given my source away ).

If I see a single peep anywhere else, I will post it here...

Old 02-18-2010, 03:12 PM

587 posts, read 1,353,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
He was self employed. His wife and step daughter are in seclusion and will make a statement tomorrow. They were not home when he set that house on fire (from what I understand), they came home to a burning house (they'd spent the night at a hotel after a heated argument last night)
Such conflicting info. I'd like to think your version is the correct one. Would make me feel a wee better about the situation.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:16 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,219,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
Stack's manifesto is on tens of thousands of websites already, so if anyone wants to read it just do a search on some terms like "manifesto Austin plane IRS" and you'll be overwhelmed with options.

It's a good read. I'm trying to divorce the atrocity he committed from the articulate letter he wrote. It's pathetic that all the mainstream news outlets are referring to his manifesto as rambling, insane, and hard to follow. I spent 6 years grading the papers of seniors in Marketing at UT and their writing was far less coherent than what was written by Joe Stack.

Unfortunately, his method for expressing his rage will only serve to empower the very government interests against which he railed. Now anyone who posts anything sympathetic to him will probably get on the Homeland Security radar. Stack was right about most of what he said.
Right you are but for the MSM to state that the post was well written would mess up their narrative. I don't think the guy was delusional at all. I think he was WRONG to handle it the way that he did, but much of what he writes is an accurate assessment.

I think the main problem is one day he woke up and realized the world isn't fair and he didn't handle it well. That's why it is so important not to take it all so seriously....it will drive you mad.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:20 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,851,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoroughly modern millie View Post
Such conflicting info. I'd like to think your version is the correct one. Would make me feel a wee better about the situation.
I'm reading conflicting info as well. (family rescured....or family spent the night elsewhere)

There's a difference between burning an empty house (that the IRS is going to take) & starting a fire with people (loved ones) inside.

Thanks to the posters above for the info....i guess we'll find out the rest of the story in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin