U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 03:22 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,849,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
Right you are but for the MSM to state that the post was well written would mess up their narrative. I don't think the guy was delusional at all. I think he was WRONG to handle it the way that he did, but much of what he writes is an accurate assessment.

I think the main problem is one day he woke up and realized the world isn't fair and he didn't handle it well. That's why it is so important not to take it all so seriously....it will drive you mad.
Accurate assessment? The guy failed to pay taxes from 1996-2002. He tried to rip the gov't, and the IRS didn't like that. He is not innocent by any means!!!!!
Rate this post positively

Old 02-18-2010, 03:28 PM

8,399 posts, read 21,099,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
I can paraphrase his post:
I tried to be greedy and dodge taxes, got caught and had to pay, now I am going to call everyone else greedy and try to kill some people.

His post is very well written, but only includes information, of course, that makes him look like the victim. Being dead and all now, he doesn't have to answer any questions that may have been difficult or embarrassing to answer.
Agreed, he wasn't willing to pay the same taxes the rest of us have to.

Sorry, it sucks for the rest of us as well; but we don't end up nearly killing our family or other innocent people who don't make the rules they simply enforce them.

My full sympathy goes to his family, as they are left to pick up the pieces.

However, Stack himself gets no remorse from me, as if he wanted to leave this life then there were numerous ways that didn't involve trying to take others with him.

There were also other options to address his so-called injustice that don't involve violence.

A week from today the vast majority of people outside of his family and friends will have forgotten about him, so this "huge impact" Stack thought he was making will be a faded memory...

Old 02-18-2010, 03:29 PM

164 posts, read 283,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Accurate assessment? The guy failed to pay taxes from 1996-2002. He tried to rip the gov't, and the IRS didn't like that. He is not innocent by any means!!!!!
what small percentage of the manifesto did you actually read? no one is saying that joe possibly, at some point, didn't break the "law". it's not ALL about taxes, like many seem to reiterate. it is about american injustice, capitalist greed, and self-serving corporations who are fueled by the u.s.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:33 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,219,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
"We are all taught as children that without laws there would be no society, only anarchy. Sadly, starting at early ages we in this country have been brainwashed to believe that, in return for our dedication and service, our government stands for justice for all. We are further brainwashed to believe that there is freedom in this place, and that we should be ready to lay our lives down for the noble principals represented by its founding fathers. Remember? One of these was “no taxation without representation”. I have spent the total years of my adulthood unlearning that crap from only a few years of my childhood. These days anyone who really stands up for that principal is promptly labeled a “crackpot”, traitor and worse.

While very few working people would say they haven’t had their fair share of taxes (as can I), in my lifetime I can say with a great degree of certainty that there has never been a politician cast a vote on any matter with the likes of me or my interests in mind. Nor, for that matter, are they the least bit interested in me or anything I have to say.

Why is it that a handful of thugs and plunderers can commit unthinkable atrocities (and in the case of the GM executives, for scores of years) and when it’s time for their gravy train to crash under the weight of their gluttony and overwhelming stupidity, the force of the full federal government has no difficulty coming to their aid within days if not hours? Yet at the same time, the joke we call the American medical system, including the drug and insurance companies, are murdering tens of thousands of people a year and stealing from the corpses and victims they cripple, and this country’s leaders don’t see this as important as bailing out a few of their vile, rich cronies. Yet, the political “representatives” (thieves, liars, and self-serving scumbags is far more accurate) have endless time to sit around for year after year and debate the state of the “terrible health care problem”. It’s clear they see no crisis as long as the dead people don’t get in the way of their corporate profits rolling in."

I'd say that's pretty accurate - the name calling is a little over the top, but he's right about how the federal government will jump in and save the powerful but let the less powerful sink.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:35 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,856,273 times
This is a horrible thing to have happened, obviously the man went too far- innocent people were killed.

There is no excuse for violence.

I do, however, agree with some of his ideas. The tax system is corrupt and should be changed.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:35 PM

924 posts, read 1,472,428 times
Yeah the FBI took his site down. However, if you want to catch a glimpse of it, you can still use archive.org

Though it doesn't have an archive from this morning, unfortunately.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:37 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,856,273 times
The Manifesto Of Austin Texas Crash Pilot Joseph Andrew Stack

This is the 'manifesto'. Read it for yourself.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:40 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,219,418 times
There was a part of the tax code that really screwed over people when it came to stock options and I wonder if he got screwed over in the dotcom bust. I don't know if the code has changed but when I was studying tax law a few years ago, it hadn't. If you exercise your stock options, you have to pay income tax on them because they count as income. So the amount above the option price is taxed as income which could be something like 30% for many. Many people in early 00 exercised options but didn't cash them in so they were rich on paper and incurred a tax liability. Then while they still owned the stock, it tanked and suddenly they owed a tremendous amount in income tax and had no money to pay.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:42 PM

587 posts, read 1,353,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
I'm reading conflicting info as well. (family rescured....or family spent the night elsewhere)

There's a difference between burning an empty house (that the IRS is going to take) & starting a fire with people (loved ones) inside.

Thanks to the posters above for the info....i guess we'll find out the rest of the story in time.
Amen. I like to think I'm a compassionate hard working reasoable person who doesn't bother anyone, but if I felt I was being unfairly treated I'd burn the damn house down anyway...if I can't live in it.....

Hell I'd do it just on principle.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:43 PM

164 posts, read 283,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Agreed, he wasn't willing to pay the same taxes the rest of us have to.

Sorry, it sucks for the rest of us as well; but we don't end up nearly killing our family or other innocent people who don't make the rules they simply enforce them.

My full sympathy goes to his family, as they are left to pick up the pieces.

However, Stack himself gets no remorse from me, as if he wanted to leave this life then there were numerous ways that didn't involve trying to take others with him.

There were also other options to address his so-called injustice that don't involve violence.

A week from today the vast majority of people outside of his family and friends will have forgotten about him, so this "huge impact" Stack thought he was making will be a faded memory...
simply due to the fact the "vast majority", and apparently yourself, never understood the manifesto in the first place.

joe, as stated in the letter, didn't resort to violence simply because the irs enforced taxes upon him. rather, he had developed a keen understanding of the fallibility in the capitalist structure, and became engulfed throughout the years in unjust financial settings.

regardless, none of this warrants taking an innocent life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin