Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 5,426 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We currently live in far north Dallas in the boring suburbs, going on 10 yrs now. We are originally from S.Cali, but lived in N. Cali as well. We are contemplating relocating to either Uptown, Lakewood areas or even looking at the Austin or Tampa areas. The lifestyle in the burbs is slowly killing us. We are thinking of moving into a more "urban" area, but not sure what is best. Austin is absolutely beautiful and I love the vibe everytime we go there, but we are very culturally mixed and would need help on which areas in Austin would work for us. We have a pre-teen daughter who is very musically talented and would like to continue to keep her going in that direction. Tampa, we know nothing about. My husband's job would move us there, but for Austin we would both have to look for jobs. We are both in IT. So, would love to hear your responses - Dallas (not the suburbs), Austin, or Tampa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 11:14 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,039,518 times
Keep your jobs and head into Uptown!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 5,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Thanks centralaustinite!! I like the Uptown area a lot. Right now, it looks as if the best choice for us would be moving down to Dallas/Uptown/Midtown area, but we are just weighing our options.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:42 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,342,022 times

Austin has a lot going for it and I understand some very good musical programs in schools there. However, at this point in the economy I would say jobs are tight there for IT. There have been recent threads of others in Tech unable to find work in Austin.

By the way, I do love "boring". I'm in the country and during the peak of the day I can hear a mouse fart! At night we hear the coyotes running, not howling but actually running, through the back 5. We don't have problems with door to door sales people and others panhandling their wares.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:42 PM

819 posts, read 1,738,743 times
tampa would be my choice. my sister lives there and if I could make a move that would be the place. austins really nice but theres so much more to do in tampa bay.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:22 PM
gdu

256 posts, read 696,884 times
There are no jobs here and you are from Cali so I would suggest looknig for a new place in Dallas

Old 02-19-2010, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 17,051 times
I was in your shoes just a few short months ago, bored to death in the mid-cities. Before a fortuitous turn of events brought us to Austin, we were actually considering relocating to the Lakewood area ourselves. It's a great neighborhood that actually reminds me of Austin in a lot of respects. I prefer it considerably to the conspicuous consumption of Uptown.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:03 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,992,328 times
Lakewood all the way. It's one of the only areas in Dallas with an historic, free-thinking vibe. Lakewood, ( Munger Place, and Forest Hills) would be the only place I would live in Dallas. I hear yah about the burbs, they slowly will ruin any sense of eclecticism you have (weekend shopping for home decor at Garden Ridge anyone?)

Old 02-20-2010, 06:37 AM

117 posts, read 346,390 times
There is no urban area, per se, in Tampa. I lived in Tampa Bay for 12 years. The "city" is dead outside of business hours, everything else is just a massive sprawl of fast food places, chain restaurants and strip malls.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:12 AM

748 posts, read 1,765,124 times
We considered Tampa also, until I did some research. Education there is crap (in general), and there seems to be some pretty bad crime as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin