U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 06:13 PM

6 posts, read 28,183 times

Advertisements

Husband and I are considering both of these neighborhoods due to location and schools( Georgetown and Round Rock- Leander ISD) schools. Parkside homes are new and Mayfield Ranch would be preowned. According to the Williamson County Appraisal District a 210K home at Parkside has annual taxes approx. 6K-7K and Mayfield Ranch is around 2K. I know Parkside is in a MUD so there is a big tax due to that, but otherwise that is a huge disparity. Can someone clarify this for me? Also when looking at realtors listings of homes at Mayfield Ranch they reflect a much higher property tax as well, but I am not sure if they are even accurate. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 01:27 PM

I have finally figured it out! Mayfield Ranch is divided between Leander ISD and Round Rock ISD but it appears that the whole community pays Round Rock ISD taxes. Round Rock ISD has its own taxing authority through its website. Therefore, anyone living in the district will be subject to the Williamson County tax assessor fees as well as Round Rock ISD's taxes which are in a different website. When all is said and done I havefound the taxes at Parkside at Mayfield Ranch to be pretty comparable to Mayfield Ranch so a 200K house have approx 6300K in annual property taxes. This seems very high to me but I believe it is comparable to other similar priced neighborhoods with good schools.I hope this helps other people in the same situation as we are. We have really been focusing on housing price but don't rule out the property taxes when trying to determine how much house you can really afford, because it can make a difference.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:27 PM

8,469 posts, read 14,455,466 times
tulips,
Looks like you found your info. You can bet a neighborhood with taxes ONE THIRD of those of a comparable nearby neighborhood would be of serious interest...especially with property taxes like we have around here! No free lunch as they say.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:23 PM

26 posts, read 94,850 times
Default Taxes

I live on the Round Rock ISD side of Mayfield Ranch, but I did some digging for the taxes on the Leander ISD side for you.

The taxing authorities for the Leander ISD side are:
CRR (City of Round Rock) .396610
GWI (Williamson CO) .459999
J01 (Aus Comm Coll) .094600
RFM (Wmsn CO FM/RD) .030000
SLE (Leander ISD) 1 .422340
W09 (Upper Brshy Cr WCID .020000

So, the taxes are approximately: $2.67/per $100

http://www.wilco.org/Portals/0/Depar...Collectors.pdf

I also looked up the tax statement on a home on the Leander ISD side. They have a homestead exemption and their property was valued at $309,707 and their taxes were
$6,058.59 for 2009 tax year.

2009 taxes paid for entity GWI $1,424.65
2009 taxes paid for entity J01 $288.26
2009 taxes paid for entity RFM $92.01
2009 taxes paid for entity SLE $4,191.73
2009 taxes paid for entity W09 $61.94

Our HOA fees are $31.50 per month.

Now, Parkside Mayfield Ranch- per Standard Pacifics website:
Standard Pacific Homes - New Homes in Georgetown at Parkside at Mayfield Ranch - Community (http://www.standardpacifichomes.com/findhome/NeighborhoodCommunity.aspx?NID=1627 - broken link)

These are their tax rates:

Austin Community College 0.0946
Williamson Co. (includes RFM) 0.4889
Leander ISD 1.42234
Upper Brushy Creek WCID 0.02
Parkside at Mayfield Ranch Mud 0.9500
Estimated Total 2.97684

--------------------
I hope that this helps you some. They are both very nice neighborhoods. We really love living in Mayfield Ranch and have been fortunate that our son has some really sweet and polite kiddos to be friends with.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:49 PM

108 posts, read 222,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverTexan View Post
I live on the Round Rock ISD side of Mayfield Ranch, but I did some digging for the taxes on the Leander ISD side for you.

The taxing authorities for the Leander ISD side are:
CRR (City of Round Rock) .396610
GWI (Williamson CO) .459999
J01 (Aus Comm Coll) .094600
RFM (Wmsn CO FM/RD) .030000
SLE (Leander ISD) 1 .422340
W09 (Upper Brshy Cr WCID .020000

So, the taxes are approximately: $2.67/per $100

http://www.wilco.org/Portals/0/Depar...Collectors.pdf

I also looked up the tax statement on a home on the Leander ISD side. They have a homestead exemption and their property was valued at $309,707 and their taxes were
$6,058.59 for 2009 tax year.

2009 taxes paid for entity GWI $1,424.65
2009 taxes paid for entity J01 $288.26
2009 taxes paid for entity RFM $92.01
2009 taxes paid for entity SLE $4,191.73
2009 taxes paid for entity W09 $61.94

Our HOA fees are $31.50 per month.

Now, Parkside Mayfield Ranch- per Standard Pacifics website:
Standard Pacific Homes - New Homes in Georgetown at Parkside at Mayfield Ranch - Community (http://www.standardpacifichomes.com/findhome/NeighborhoodCommunity.aspx?NID=1627 - broken link)

These are their tax rates:

Austin Community College 0.0946
Williamson Co. (includes RFM) 0.4889
Leander ISD 1.42234
Upper Brushy Creek WCID 0.02
Parkside at Mayfield Ranch Mud 0.9500
Estimated Total 2.97684

--------------------
I hope that this helps you some. They are both very nice neighborhoods. We really love living in Mayfield Ranch and have been fortunate that our son has some really sweet and polite kiddos to be friends with.
This is very acurate.

I I live on the Round Rock ISD side of Mayfield Ranch. The Tax on the RR side is almost the same with the Leander side. Our tax for the last year was like $2.69 per $100 of house value. This number is home stead exempt. The RRISD portion of tax is around $1500, and the other portion is around $4000. our house is appraised at $242K.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:16 PM

Thanks for validating my research. We were hoping that other immediate neighborhoods may have more affordable taxes since it seems that Parkside has a MUD and seems to overlap among taxing authorities in Georgetown, Cedar Park and Leander ISD. Sometimes you need to check out comparables to be sure of what you want. We really like the fact that we can get a new home with the interior of our chosing along with the onsite Parkside Elementary. Our current neighborhood is very no frills, but now that we have 2 children, our lifestyle and priorities have changed, so we just bite the bullet and pay the taxes.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:37 AM

Now that I have the property taxes straightened out, what do those of you who are privy to the local real estate think of Parkside at Mayfield Ranch in terms of being a good long term investment? We plan to stay put for 20 or more years for this next house, but we would like to see a better return on overall property value than we did the first go round in our home at Georgetown Crossing.

One nice thing about the existing homes at Mayfield Ranch is that you can see how the community has matured and it seems to have increased in value over the years. I know you don't have that luxury with new construction, but we do like the fact that we should be living maintenance free for at least 5-7 years before needing to replace things like roofs etc as opposed to an existing home.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,264 times
I live @ PMR now. I feel it will eventually go up.. that's why we bought here. Right next to the 800acre park, big bonus. new 175 extension just completed. new waterpark coming a couple miles away.. new pool opening soon..

The taxes do seem pretty insane.. hopefully we'll get pulled out of the MUD into Leander.. its considered Georgetown right now.. try ordering pizza.. you have to ask them what their driving radius is "before" you tell them your zip code..

Old 03-04-2010, 12:09 PM

atxanon,

How does that work with the MUD being pulled into Leander? Is it a MUD district decision or does it have to do with annexation of the city?

We recently saw that the construction has begun on the pool area which is good since we have kids and you are never absolutely sure what the developer plans in a new community.

We like some floor plans with Standard Pacific homes. What builder did you use and did they meet your satisfaction?

Overall, the community looks a good long term investment with the location and on site elementary school, but it never hurts to get the opinions of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin