Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
People DO hunt outside of Dallas/Piney woods areas and also fish. When I lived in Houston, it had a great music scene; more than just rap. Also, the "outdoorsy" scene in Houston, along the coast, is just different than in Austin, but it exists. People go kayaking and walking or whatever in Challenger 7 Park; jet ski or sail or just pleasure boat in bay, hang out on the beach in Galveston, go to festivals, ride bikes, run, ride horses just the same as in Austin, only they don't have the hilly terrain.
Now that you mention it, that kind of makes sense about Dallas. The do have the piny woods around Tyler and Longview just to the east which is suppose to another great outdoorsy part of Texas.

That's why I said you could make an argument for Houston, but their both very different environments so I'm not sure you could say one is "better" than the other for the outdoors. I will say that on average, you run into much more outdoors enthusiast in Austin then Houston. That's main reason why I said that Austin seems more "outdoorsy" then Houston.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
For those of you not from California, Naomi is echoing the general perception of Texas cities out there. People think Houston is a toilet and people seem to think Dallas is an overglorified Oklahoma City.
On the other hand, people in LA LOVE Austin.
Maybe you all are just hanging out with the wrong people. These people sound like ignorant, holier-than-thou douches and posers... no offense.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:36 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,236 times
Quote:
Thats all good. In many Texas forums I keep trying to point out that people in LA think of Texas cities the way youre describing. I typically get responses like "How can people from LA not LOVE Houston, theyre identical in every way.". People in LA overall have a very low opinion of Houston. They dont have a high one of Dallas either, but Ive still heard a few more good things about Dallas from people in LA than Houston.

On the other hand, people in LA LOVE Austin.

I was just trying to echo what youre saying as the general perception of people from LA for better or worse.
I am leaving LA for the reasons people don't like Houston. I do find it annoying how being from LA and CA, I get grouped into being one of "those people". I get that feeling a lot on this board and once in awhile from locals in Austin. I keep my mouth shut from where I am from unless asked since I am a "problem". Someone on the Nashville board kind of said it well when he told me how pretentious some locals were in Austin. He got comments from locals such as "Welcome to Austin. We're better". Whether you live in Austin, LA, NYC, Chicago, not exactly a welcoming feeling. Very obnoxious as a matter of fact. I don't really know what's worse though. Being pretentious (Austin) or not giving people the time of day (what I get usually in LA). Just had to vent. Many people I met in Austin were nice to me despite being one of "those Californians who are ruining everything". But then again, they probably were transplants to lol.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:44 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Who said you were a "problem"? I don't get that from you. I just hear someone posting about things they heard. Once you get here you will make up your own mind. Take a few roadtrips and learn the landscape and people.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I am leaving LA for the reasons people don't like Houston.
What are those reasons? If you've never been to Houston, how do you know what people "don't like?" Just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
Being pretentious or not giving people the time of day (what I get usually in LA).
Houston is not like that at all. In that sense, it is worlds apart from L.A.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:11 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Maybe you all are just hanging out with the wrong people. These people sound like ignorant, holier-than-thou douches and posers... no offense.
Lets face it, people Texans and Californians often dont like each others cities (Austin is the exception of that rule). I do agree full-heartedly with you. People in California fail to realize what Texas cities are really about. The same way Texans often want to lump Californians into the same group and talk about how we ruin everything for the rest of the country. Its a two way street with morons on both sides.

In truth LA, The Bay, Houston, Dallas, Austin, and most other places are actually different than what people expect. Weve got conservative rednecks in California and weve got gay, liberal, tree-hugging hippies in Texas. You just cant take two states with over 30 million people in them or metro areas with over 5 million and think that its all going to be the same.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Lets face it, people Texans and Californians often dont like each others cities (Austin is the exception of that rule).
I like many of the CA cities just fine. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. This seems more one-sided to me.
I would certainly never call the state's largest city (Los Angeles) a dump/pit/toilet, while acting like Sacramento was Shangri-La... and expect to be taken seriously by Californians. So I would hope they could understand our frustration when they do similar things in regards to Texas, especially if they were to move to Texas and continue to do so from inside the state. I know it's not the perfect comparison, but you get the idea...

Old 03-01-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I like many of the CA cities just fine. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. This seems more one-sided to me.
I would certainly never call the state's largest city (Los Angeles) a dump/pit/toilet, while acting like Sacramento was Shangri-La... and expect to be taken seriously by Californians. So I would hope they could understand our frustration when they do similar things in regards to Texas, especially if they were to move to Texas and continue to do so from inside the state. I know it's not the perfect comparison, but you get the idea...
Believe me, Im in complete agreement with you.

Unfortunately there are alot of ignorant people on both sides of this street.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
People DO hunt outside of Dallas/Piney woods areas and also fish. When I lived in Houston, it had a great music scene; more than just rap. Also, the "outdoorsy" scene in Houston, along the coast, is just different than in Austin, but it exists. People go kayaking and walking or whatever in Challenger 7 Park; jet ski or sail or just pleasure boat in bay, hang out on the beach in Galveston, go to festivals, ride bikes, run, ride horses just the same as in Austin, only they don't have the hilly terrain.
While I agree with this, I'll tell you what the difference is. In Austin, the outdoor activities are right smack dab in the middle of the city. The river, greenbelts, swimming holes, hiking and biking trails, etc all interact with downtown and the central neighborhoods. They are very much woven into the fabric of the city. Here there are many people who live where you can just get on your mountain bike and ride to a greenbelt entrance, natural swimming pool, scenic hills, lakes (for kayaking/canoeing), etc.

While there are some places in the Houston like this (Hermann Park, Memorial, and the new discovery green), it's still not like Austin. And Dallas is even worse. In those metros, exercising outside and generally interacting with nature is typically a bigger production, usually involving drives to reach a very limited amount of urban park land with not much variety. Or going to a bigger park/lake well outside of the city.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post

While there are some places in the Houston like this (Hermann Park, Memorial, and the new discovery green), it's still not like Austin. And Dallas is even worse. In those metros, exercising outside and generally interacting with nature is usually a much bigger production, usually involving drives to reach a very limited amount of urban park land with not much variety.
Never been to White Rock Lake have you?

I agree that Austin is the best for this, but as far as outdoor activities go, I dont find Dallas or Houston significantly better than the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin