Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:02 PM

23 posts, read 89,669 times

Advertisements

I was bored to tears with this post after the first sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Austin has an extremely communist feel when compared to other Texas cities. It's very bland, slow, and very controlled by the big organizations in the city. If you like Hill country then you should live next to San Antonio.

Houston isn't a dump. It has beautiful forests, shopping centers galore, art, theater, parades, beautiful enormous skyline of skyscrapers, and some average beaches. If there is a bad smell it is probably closer to the beach.

Dallas is everything Austin wishes it could be. It's a huge progressive city. Everybody does their own thing. There are several arts districts, huge arts community, major upscale shopping, sports teams, night-life, libraries galore, major corporations galore, zoos, some nice nature areas, and the major universities don't try to control the city like in Austin. I found far more southern hospitality in Dallas than in snooty old dilapidated Austin.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:03 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
Austin doesn't come across as libertarian. You do have Alex Jones and Jack Blood.....but I'm not sure many people in Austin <big government town> are into the true libertarian movement. lol.
BBQ, bats, and college football is "average American" not libertarian. And remember democrat-rats and republicans love their BBQ, tattoos, and college football too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
I dunno know what Austin is besides its own event, but maybe a smaller, more libertarian Seattle, without the mountains or great seafood, but with sunshine and great BBQ. San Antonio and Fort Worth are good cities too. Being TX cities they have a lot in common, but they all have their own personalities too. Traffic is very bad in Houston and Dallas, and on certain stretches of highway in Austin and San Antonio too. So make a trip to check them all out, or most sensibly just move to the one where you have gainful employment! My personal ranking order ( for the cities, not the suburbs) would be inner loop Houston, central Austin, San Antonio inside 410 and then Fort Worth. Good luck in working this all out!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:05 PM

It is your loss that you are missing out on such greatness that is Dallas and Houston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInAustin View Post
I was bored to tears with this post after the first sentence.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:10 PM

23 posts, read 89,669 times
I've lived in Manhattan. Sometimes greatness is overrated, sometimes it's overstated, and sometimes at any given moment it just doesn't fit the bill. And sometimes "dilapidated" is the best thing since sliced bread. Just ask any hipster living in Bushwick.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:18 PM

lol hey some people love communism where everyone does what is typical of their stereotypical group mind and behavior set. Do you think I care about hipsters in Austin? I don't because they are all probably the same, think the same, say the same things, eat the same foods, dress the same way, complain the same way, etc. You meet one you've met everyone in town. Too boring for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInAustin View Post
I've lived in Manhattan. Sometimes greatness is overrated, sometimes it's overstated, and sometimes at any given moment it just doesn't fit the bill. And sometimes "dilapidated" is the best thing since sliced bread. Just ask any hipster living in Bushwick.

Thanks for letting my sarcasm slide.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
OK, I've lived in Austin, lived in the Hill Country, and now I live in Houston and I've had several friends from and Dallas and Fort Worth and I was also born in Dallas. Austin and Houston are both very different towns for very different people IMO but if your open minded, BOTH cities offer just as many great and unique aspects that you can't find anywhere else in Texas. Dallas, I've never really been all that impressed by. Honestly, I've always thought Fort Worth was a much more desirable town then Dallas. Also, I've always thought San Antonio was just as, if not more, intriguing of a town as any other Texas city.

So to answer the OP, it depends on what your looking for in a city.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:45 PM

San Antonio is a fantastic town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Also, I've always thought San Antonio was just as, if not more, intriguing of a town as any other Texas city.

So to answer the OP, it depends on what your looking for in a city.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
San Antonio is a fantastic town.
yeah, I've yet to meet someone who hates SA.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 AM

145 posts, read 184,125 times
I just didn't like Houston when I visited. Although nice, it was too massively sprawling, not pretty, and not as refined as Dallas. A bit rough around the edges.

Austin, while it tries to be progressive is just not diverse enough to be considered cosmopolitan. Dallas wins hands down.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Houston and Dallas are enormous. There will be a lot more to do in both cities. I got bored to tears with Austin after about 6 weeks.
Based on your previous posts - it seems you may have spent two weeks in Austin.

I have lived here 25 years. Not bored yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin