Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:05 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's only me, which I doubt, but the Arboretum is such a nuisance. The parking is atrocious, especially at Christmas and around Barnes and Noble. Stores moved out of there because they weren't making money, moved on to other areas in Austin. I really dislike the Arboretum, nothing much there. And they killed the Arbor Cinema with that overpriced Cheesecake Factory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 06:53 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I've never had a problem getting in and out of the Arboretum (well, no, maybe at Christmas, but then I have a problem getting in and out of EVERYWHERE at Christmas, especially since I drive a big pickup). Maybe it's because I've figured out which places don't have very many people parked in them because you have to actually cross the road (not 183, the parking lot road) to get to the stores (that's a hint, folks, if you're looking for a parking spot ) so there's usually a few parking spaces there, but it's still closer than parking and just getting INTO a mall, in my experience, never mind to the store in the mall.

Agree with you about the Arbor Cinema/Cheesecake Factory thing.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:31 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I've never had a problem getting in and out of the Arboretum (well, no, maybe at Christmas, but then I have a problem getting in and out of EVERYWHERE at Christmas, especially since I drive a big pickup). Maybe it's because I've figured out which places don't have very many people parked in them because you have to actually cross the road (not 183, the parking lot road) to get to the stores (that's a hint, folks, if you're looking for a parking spot ) so there's usually a few parking spaces there, but it's still closer than parking and just getting INTO a mall, in my experience, never mind to the store in the mall.

Agree with you about the Arbor Cinema/Cheesecake Factory thing.
WOW, DW and I just had lunch Tuesday at Zoes and I commented that folks in the know parked just where you described! We didn't have any trouble to speak of but since both of us don't mind walking, that 'outer' parking lot makes good sense(next time). I will agree that the main parking area in front of most of the shops is a pain(not to mention a fair number of pot holes).

BTW, Zoes was pretty tasty...looks like a good lunch place if you're in the area.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:23 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
Yes, i forgot to mention Northpark as well. That is a beautiful place and very upscale. Again, just an endless amount of high end shopping in Dallas, it's unreal. The domain and la catera in San Antonio are VERY low budget, shoddy imitators of "the real thing" in dallas and houston. I might be able to understand how the domain could stay in business, but la catera in San Antonio?? I guess the far northwest location which keeps it far away from the ghetto (which is like 90% of the city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Yes.. you would be amazed at what they've done to it. The "U" shape of the mall has been enclosed with a new addition and a sculpture garden with works by Claus Oldenbourg have been added in the middle. I will slammed for saying this, but if NorthPark Mall was dropped in Austin, it would not only become the best mall in town, but would become the best "museum" in this town, too. They have built 20 story+ highrises on the east side of Central Expwy including a hotel for visitors to the mall with a pedestrian bridge and light rail access as well. Non sequitor - Did you happen to hang out near Snider Plaza? just curious.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:36 AM

3,202 posts, read 6,016,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Maybe it's only me, which I doubt, but the Arboretum is such a nuisance. The parking is atrocious, especially at Christmas and around Barnes and Noble. Stores moved out of there because they weren't making money, moved on to other areas in Austin. I really dislike the Arboretum, nothing much there. And they killed the Arbor Cinema with that overpriced Cheesecake Factory.

The 1 mile diameter "commercial dead zone" is present at basically every major freeway intersection in Austin. It's a result of poor planning. Th Arboreteum (and Mopac/Ben White) have done a great job fighting it, but it still has an effect. This phenomena has almost completedly killed 290/35, Mopac/183 and Ben White/35.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:42 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
The domain and la catera in San Antonio are VERY low budget, shoddy imitators of "the real thing" in dallas and houston...
Umm, have you taken a look at what La Cantera offers vs The Domain: It's night and day. Domain is MUCH smaller with a lower-end of stores (but not by much). Cantera has Burberry, Neimans, Nordstroms, Ralph Lauren, Diesel, etc. I wouldn't consider any of those stores 'low budget.'

Yeah, it's no NorthPark, but it's nowhere near low budget.

BN

Old 02-26-2010, 02:09 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Maybe it's only me, which I doubt, but the Arboretum is such a nuisance. The parking is atrocious, especially at Christmas and around Barnes and Noble.
It's not just you. I dread going there due to the parking situation. Maybe I just have to go there during peak times. That's the same reason I hate to go to Central Market. If you don't work or for some reason can shop during 8 to 4-ish work hours, it's fine. But if you have to go there late afternoon and on weekends, it's no fun.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:54 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,432,372 times
I agree. The Central Market parking lot is hideous. My skin crawls just trying to find a parking spot. It's always busy. Also, the spots are so tight, I can park like 1/2 of my car in there, and it's not even a large vehicle. Often, I have to shimmy out so I don't hit other people's doors. I think I might have punctured a lung last time I tried it.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:50 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
I've lucked out, I guess. I take the Dodge long-bed to Central Market (the north one) regularly for meetups that meet at 6:00, meaning I have to get there between 5:30 and 6:00. I do have to walk a bit sometimes (which doesn't hurt me at all, I need the exercise!), but so far I've always found a parking spot within 5 minutes.

Except one year when, like a fool, I went grocery shopping for Thanksgiving dinner on Wednesday afternoon - yes, the day before Thanksgiving. Even with VERY soothing music playing on KUT, I thought I was going to kill somebody before I got out of there. Never again.

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 02-26-2010 at 04:40 PM..

Old 02-26-2010, 04:37 PM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
...but so far I've always found a parking spot within 15 minutes.
15 minutes seems like a long time to search for a parking spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin