Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:02 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times

Advertisements

I was wondering the answer to this question since one of my neighbors raises 6 or more dogs for what I assume is breeding. Everyone hates this neighbor since the dogs get into howling/barking fits that can go on for awhile. Looks like in Austin you can have as many dogs/cats as you like as long as you don't break any codes as far as the treatment of those animals is concerned. I would like to see a limit on the number of pets within the city. Many other jurisdictions have these:

- Terrierman's Daily Dose -

I think Seattle has the best code regarding this:

"Seattle, Wash. - 3 dogs on lots of less than 20,000 sq. ft. , 5 dogs for 20,000 to 35,000 sq. ft., with an additional 2 per acre for lots over 35,000 sq. ft. to a maximum of 20, unless a special permit is granted."

Of course if you are in an HOA, apartment, or home rental your limits will vary; I was more concerned about non-HOA, owner-occupied single family homes.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:21 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Austin used to have a limit, I think it was four. But it's been a while since I've needed to look it up, perhaps it's changed.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:40 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
what about the noise they create--surely that is against public nuisance rules--
just tape their howling/barking with video camera on a clock--

in my former town--dogs barking (even inside the house) for more than 20 min at a time could get you a visit from the animal control officer--and second visit could bring a ticket to appear in court where you could present your side to judge
the first call could come without the complainant giving a name/address but the second complaint had to be made in person--by filling out complaint form--that was to stop people doing it as a nuisance themselves...

Old 03-01-2010, 01:25 PM

380 posts, read 642,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I was wondering the answer to this question since one of my neighbors raises 6 or more dogs for what I assume is breeding. Everyone hates this neighbor since the dogs get into howling/barking fits that can go on for awhile. Looks like in Austin you can have as many dogs/cats as you like as long as you don't break any codes as far as the treatment of those animals is concerned. I would like to see a limit on the number of pets within the city. Many other jurisdictions have these:

- Terrierman's Daily Dose -

I think Seattle has the best code regarding this:

"Seattle, Wash. - 3 dogs on lots of less than 20,000 sq. ft. , 5 dogs for 20,000 to 35,000 sq. ft., with an additional 2 per acre for lots over 35,000 sq. ft. to a maximum of 20, unless a special permit is granted."

Of course if you are in an HOA, apartment, or home rental your limits will vary; I was more concerned about non-HOA, owner-occupied single family homes.
If you don't like your neighbors, then move. Or better yet move to Seattle.

But don't selfishly advocate a public policy that will restrict the individual freedoms of everyone to accommodate your own personal lifestyle.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:55 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
If you don't like your neighbors, then move. Or better yet move to Seattle.

But don't selfishly advocate a public policy that will restrict the individual freedoms of everyone to accommodate your own personal lifestyle.
I think its the property owner with the excessive number of noisy dogs who is being selfish here and infringing on the individual freedoms of their neighbors with his animals excessive noise. The law agrees with me.

You can often find prohibitions on the number and type of animals that can be kept in the subdivision regulations for a property, even for areas that do not have an HOA.

You have every right to expect your neighbors to control their animals. Their noise infringes on your rights as a property owner.

Noisy Animal Complaints

http://www.amlegal.com/austin_nxt/gateway.dll/Texas/austin/title3animalregulation/chapter3-2restrictionsonanimals?f=templates$fn=default.htm$ 3.0$vid=amlegal:austin_tx$anc=JD_3-2-5
Quote:
§ 3-2-2 NOISY ANIMALS.

An owner or handler may not keep an animal that makes frequent or long, continued noise that is disturbing to a person of normal sensibilities.

Source: 1992 Code Section 3-3-6; Ord. 031009-9; Ord. 031211-11.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:31 PM

1 posts, read 9,912 times
where can dogs complain against testings on the animals which h u r t and are much more painful than barking which is the same than us talking!If people do not understand nature ,the animals, and their needs,why ,damned it,do they abuse them all the time,breed more and more instead of getting it at by now that humans are not u p to the noble animals who save lifes when idiotic humans leave their mines in fields,trying to kill each other,and the brave dogs saving thousands of lifes of children playing in the fields with the mines tearing their little bodies up i f there was not the d o g helping.There are dogs tearing out human bodies of avalanches and under broken down houses after earth quakes.There are dogs which help the blind and deaf people.
There are therapy dogs helping children which have cancer and old people who are left alone by humans,and cheer them up paying visits and get stoked themselves.Time to feel ashamed for your mean complaints,just l o v e the animals,and h a t e the owner who does not walk them enough and the ones who breed instead of getting people to save lifes of the animals as well and fetch them from the rescue centers.Have a great day all of you and start to think and feel and love,not only thinking of yourselves.Bye,thanks,Lore

Old 06-02-2013, 01:58 AM

597 posts, read 1,316,783 times
You can't have a rational conversation about dog ownership in Austin. In Austin your dog can go anywhere and do anything, leashed or unleashed. Good luck with that,. Your only real hope would e if the HOA has some rule against it.

Old 06-02-2013, 02:52 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,735,982 times
Is the issue really with the number of dogs or is it with the type of dogs you own? Not every type of dog is a barker or even a whiner..sometimes the problem is with the owner and sometimes the problem is with you. I hope you are the type of person who can distinguish between the two...

Old 06-02-2013, 05:00 AM

686 posts, read 1,767,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
True. This also applies to the neighbor with a large number of dogs?

Old 06-02-2013, 07:32 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
I don't think it's about the number of dogs, but you have every right to call animal control for the excessive barking going on. Home owners are given a couple of chances to teach their dogs how not to make so much noise and then they can be taken away if complaints continue. Dogs, just like anything else that makes noises, are not allowed to be a nuisance to others around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: