U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,292 times

Advertisements

I work too damn much I know there are free things going on in Austin. I saw a talk coming up here Stress Relief Talk and Demonstration - The Morpheus Protocol Accelerated Achievement Meetup Group (Austin, TX) - Meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com/The-Morpheus-Protocol-Accelerated-AchieversMeetup-Group/calendar/12745918/ - broken link)

Can anyone recommend anything else that's cheap or free

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 02:53 PM

680 posts, read 1,289,060 times
I'm broke and I find many things to do here, but it really depends on what you enjoy. I like going to book signings (for the presentations/talks) at Book People, lectures at UT, free music at countless venues, going for walks around downtown, town lake, greenbelts, neighborhoods; get to know people by involving yourself with activities you enjoy or volunteer work, then you'll hook up with groups who do things together at little or no cost...

Being stressed is, of course, an internal condition that cannot be solved by moving or finding some kind of external "solution" to the problem. Discovering the source of your stress response to situations that arise in daily life will help much more. I find that the best way to deal with stress is to stay in the moment, notice how things actually are instead of ruminating about things and getting caught up in dramatic thoughts about the past and future, and actively practicing kindness toward others (such as letting people cut into traffic in front of you or saying something nice to a worker in a store).

Old 03-01-2010, 03:05 PM

16,791 posts, read 45,427,518 times
Eeyore's birthday party is coming up soon.

There is an annual celebration every year at Pease Park called Eeyore's Birthday Party. Eeyores Birthday Party

See photos here Eeyores Birthday Party Photos

Cool Video here Eeyores Birthday, 2009 on Vimeo

Old 03-01-2010, 03:07 PM

20,887 posts, read 41,569,558 times
There's lots of cheap or free things to do. Many more Meetups, for one thing. Going to Zilker Park or any of the other parks and just wandering around. Going to the library or BookPeople or one of the free concerts.

Question is, what do you like to do? Then we can point you in the right direction.

And, just because Austin is laid back, doesn't mean that no one here experiences stress. Everyone's different, and some people naturally have a higher stress level than others, and sometimes life is more stressful than others, it's just a matter of how you deal with it.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:08 PM

9,156 posts, read 18,013,724 times
Try Yoga. Black Swan on 5th street is a donation-based studio, you can pay what you can each time you visit. However, $10-15 per class is recommended, and it's well worth it. That's still cheap, considering you don't have to buy a block of classes or join anything. If you don't like it, you are only out the price of a movie...

But for free, get outside on any day and hit the Ladybird Lake trail or walk up to Mount Bonnell. That will usually de-stress me anytime. Inside = more stress.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:12 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,001,652 times
Been driving I-35 a little too much lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltan View Post
I work too damn much I know there are free things going on in Austin. I saw a talk coming up here Stress Relief Talk and Demonstration - The Morpheus Protocol Accelerated Achievement Meetup Group (Austin, TX) - Meetup.com (http://www.meetup.com/The-Morpheus-Protocol-Accelerated-AchieversMeetup-Group/calendar/12745918/ - broken link)

Thanks

Old 03-01-2010, 04:36 PM

8,924 posts, read 15,566,806 times
Given the tenor and tone of many of the posts here on C-D lately, I'd say the cool/cold and wet winter thus far is having an effect on lots of folks. I know I'M spending too much time on the computer, looking out at the rain, wondering where all that beautiful Austin warmth has gone. Hopefully, it is just temporary and we'll all get de-stressed this spring!!! Hang in there!!!

Old 03-01-2010, 05:03 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,504,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltan View Post

Thanks
Waterloo Records at 6th and Lamar has free concerts frequently. They even serve free beer! I've seen some incredible shows there and always enjoyed the vibe.

SXSW is coming up too--tons of free day shows to enjoy. If you put some time into it you could eat and drink and listen to some of the best up-and-coming music all for free that week.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:06 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,504,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
Waterloo Records at 6th and Lamar has free concerts frequently. They even serve free beer! I've seen some incredible shows there and always enjoyed the vibe.

SXSW is coming up too--tons of free day shows to enjoy. If you put some time into it you could eat and drink and listen to some of the best up-and-coming music all for free that week.

As an addendum: I'll second the recommendation for Mt. Bonnell at sundown (Invite someone special--it's really beautiful) or Barton Creek Greenbelt for a hike. The Hill of life entrance is my favorite (by Scottish Woods).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: