Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 11:44 PM

36 posts, read 148,248 times

Advertisements

My friend and I are moving to Austin the first week in July. He has a job in North Austin and I am still looking. We want to get an apartment in North or Central Austin but don't know which ones would be a good fit.

We are looking for a place where the residents are close to our ages, mid to upper 20's. We wouldn't mind living next to college kids, but we don't want to live in a "party place complex." We prefer moderately quiet neighborhoods, but do like to party on the weekends.

Here is a list of some of the things we are looking for in an apartment complex. Looking to spend 500 per person or less a month on rent.

Pool
Rec area - either indoor or outdoor like volleyball, basketball, or tennis courts
800 sq ft or bigger - we need space
Wireless Internet
Washer and Dryer in the apartment
Dish Washer
Garbage Disposal
a courtyard or yard to hang out, play catch, or bbq etc
Balcony or patio
2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms
Air conditioning
Prefer vaulted ceilings
Cable ready
Clubhouse
Fitness center
Fairly close to shopping
Newer complex

We want to live in an area that doesn't have a lot of families and kids running around. If anyone has had experience with apartments close to this description I would love to hear from you. I've looked at online apartment listings, but I know that not every apartment complex in the City is listed on them, plus I prefer your input concerning such matters.

Thank you in advance,

Patrick

Old 06-11-2007, 10:31 PM

22 posts, read 106,625 times
farrell
youve got a pretty long list of preferences there for under $1000 a month.
vaulted ceilings? who wouldnt prefer em? shoot for the stars i guess.....
i too will be moving down early july, and have been researching areas for about 6 months, though primarily in south austin, which i have read and heard and been told, that its funkier, safer, and more on the development up (thus lower prices rental wise?) i have found 2br 2ba from $750+ in southern areas like travis heights soco town lake, south lamar. i dont know how you feel about commuting as i dont know how far north your friends job is.
i do know youll probably be hard pressed to find something in that price range in central areas. maybe east of 95? i know nothing of the northside.
check craigslist.org. for ideas of comparison.
good luck! maybe see you down there.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:32 AM

659 posts, read 1,760,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffininsight View Post
farrell
youve got a pretty long list of preferences there for under $1000 a month.
vaulted ceilings? who wouldnt prefer em? shoot for the stars i guess.....
i too will be moving down early july, and have been researching areas for about 6 months, though primarily in south austin, which i have read and heard and been told, that its funkier, safer, and more on the development up (thus lower prices rental wise?) i have found 2br 2ba from $750+ in southern areas like travis heights soco town lake, south lamar. i dont know how you feel about commuting as i dont know how far north your friends job is.
i do know youll probably be hard pressed to find something in that price range in central areas. maybe east of 95? i know nothing of the northside.
check craigslist.org. for ideas of comparison.
good luck! maybe see you down there.
I agree - that's a pretty long wishlist for $1000/mon. My friend lives in a rathole 1 BR/1 BA 600 sq. ft. apartment in central Austin with NONE of the amenities you listed, and she pays $700/mon.

I've done some extensive apartment shopping in the central/north/Round Rock areas and I never came across a single apartment complex that even APPROACHED the ballpark of what you're talking about. Sorry to be the reality check here, but you're going to have to either give up some of those amenities, move to a suburb far outside of Austin or be willing to pay AT LEAST $200-300 more a month in rent.

My two suggestions (based on the reality check advice I just gave) is to check out the Parmer Lane area east of mopac/west of I35 and/or the Wells Branch area east of mopac/west of I35. Wells Branch may be your best bet because they have some older apartment complexes, which may be going for cheaper.

I live in a great complex in RR that has all of those amenities - a 2BR/2BA 1100 sq. ft. apartment goes for about $1000/mon. But I have to commute everywhere. If you're willing to go out that far - check out the complexes in Round Rock near Dell on Louis Henna Blvd.

Good luck!

Old 06-12-2007, 12:11 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Given your price range.....
  • Pool
    No problem, most apts have them, but rarer as you go toward downtown.
  • Rec area - either indoor or outdoor like volleyball, basketball, or tennis courts
    Ditto here, more likely to get the further out you go.
  • 800 sq ft or bigger - we need space
    Lots of apts in this range for ~$1k, I think...have not shopped in a while, though
  • Wireless Internet
    I have no clue on this. I suspect most moderate apts (1K or less) do not have, but I could be wrong.
  • Washer and Dryer in the apartment
    Expect this to be a noticeably more expensive option. Connections are common, but most apts with them are upper end.
  • Dish Washer
    Almost all apts nowdays.
  • Garbage Disposal
    Ditto
  • a courtyard or yard to hang out, play catch, or bbq etc
    Most apts not downtown will have something like this, watch for dog poo.
  • Balcony or patio
    Most apts, not all.
  • 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms
    The 2nd bathroom adds a bit of cost.
  • Air conditioning
    hehe
  • Prefer vaulted ceilings
    Only upper end apts.
  • Cable ready
    All, probably
  • Clubhouse
    most
  • Fitness center
    Many, if not most, have this now, but it can be pretty sad..
  • Fairly close to shopping
    Not usually a problem.
  • Newer complex
    Pretty much cuts out anything downtown or central.

A more reasonable list (from my point of view)
Do a search or find an apt locator service and look for:
  • Pool
  • Rec area
  • 800 sq ft
  • a courtyard
  • Balcony or patio
  • Clubhouse w/Fitness center
  • W/D connection (if you plant to rent/buy units)
  • 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms - seriously consider 1 bath if price is critical.
This items will be in every newer apt comlpex (so don't worry about them)
  • Dish Washer
  • Garbage Disposal
  • Air conditioning
  • Cable ready
For that money, forget these or take em as gravy if they got it:
  • Wireless Internet - get your own internet, put in a wireless transmitter.
  • Washer and Dryer in the apartment - rent and put in apt, or use laundry room.
  • Prefer vaulted ceilings - will limit you too much in that price range

Old 06-12-2007, 03:45 PM

Thanks for all of your input. That list was a dream list.

Currently I'm looking for
2bed 2bath
around 900-1000 square feet
pool
balcony
laundry either in the apartment or in the complex.

I don't really want to commute, but a lot of what I have heard is that the older apartments have insanely high utility charges since they aren't as energy efficient. Is this true? Based on my new list can anyone give me some suggestions?

The job is in Central Austin at the State Department building. I wouldn't mind living in Southern Austin, but want to avoid a college apartment complex and want to avoid higher utility costs.

Again thank you all for your suggestions.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:16 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,292,489 times
I lived at a place called the Kensington between North Loop and Lawnmont by Burnet Road. I paid 765 for a 2/2, and left in December. It is within what most people would consider Central Austin. It was an older complex, but you can forget about anything newer if you want to live affordably in Central Austin. Here's what it had:

Porch (not private, but you can put furniture out in front of the apartment)
Dishwasher
A/C
Garbage Disposal
Wood floors
New Tile
Laundry in Complex
Courtyards for Grilling
Pool
Garbage disposal
Walk to shopping and restaurants
Gas appliances and heat (w/gas paid for)
900 sqft

Water was $30 each month. Electricity was +/- $40 usually, but went up to $100 in the dead of summer.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:39 PM

Thank you for all of your help. My roommate and I are applying for a place in Rattan Creek. I just posted a new thread to find out more about the place. Anyone here ever had any experience with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin