Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm considerably over 60, and I find lots of interesting things to do in Austin. (And have lots of friends of similar age who do.) So I wouldn't say that it's a city that's just for the younger crowd, just because it has things that the younger crowd likes to do. That's pretty limiting, to say that a city the size of Austin can only have things that appeal to one demographic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
I think the one negative thing about Austin is that it is smack dab in the middle of Texas. That means it takes forever to get out of the state. You'll get sick of the day trips. I wish I could just drive quickly into other states instead of having to fly there.
What I love about Austin is that you can find something completely different within a day's drive WITHOUT having to leave the state, and what kind of different is determined by what direction you choose to go. I can go to Enchanted Rock or Fredericksburg, pop down to Houston for lunch and shopping and come back, all in a day, go to the Highland Lakes, head on down to San Antonio for some great TexMex and museums or a little history, head over to East Texas for something else, etc., etc.,etc. All within a few hours' drive, and all without having to leave the state. Now, if crossing a state line is that important to you, it only takes a few hours to get to Louisiana (num!), Arkansas, or Oklahoma, though I grant you it does take about 12 hours to get from Austin to New Mexico (used to make that drive every summer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 11:51 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times
Yep, and 16 hours to get to Denver.

It's quite a stretch compared to the East and West Coasts where you have beach, mountains, other large cities and even other countries all well within the same distance. I mean in 16 hours you can go from Portland to San Francisco, to Vancouver, the coast, the mountains, the desert ALL IN ONE TRIP...under 16 hours!

OR... you can go one way from Austin to Denver.

Plus, there's very few public lands in Texas.

We treat rich people very fine here but don't expect much if you can't afford one of those mega ranches like you see just West of Austin.
The ones where you see a barbed wire fence that goes on and on for 30 minutes...then a $7,000 gate with security camera and a drive way winding away into the sunset...then another 30 minutes of fence.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,075 times
Regardless of where you live- Round Rock, Austin...whatever. IT IS BORING!!! Maybe those of you who have never experienced living in other states with many choices of food, where the city is not comprised mostly of college students trying to be "cool," and people who do not have to walk around always saying how great Austin, and Texas for that matter; would have a different view.
By the way, where the hell are ALL the friendly people that media has spewed about?
Austin has a very good marketing campaign. I will give the city that.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:46 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
mary111, it's not "the media" that I hear talking about the friendly people in Austin. It's many people on this forum who have moved here.

Also, as someone said in the very second post of this thread, only boring people are bored. My biggest problem with Austin has been too many different kinds of things to choose from to do all in the same day. How is it, I wonder, that you've missed them - they're certainly not hiding, and almost none of them have anything to do with college students OR people talking about Austin or Texas!

What exactly have you been looking for to do?

Old 05-01-2011, 04:59 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Old thread, but without looking I bet $$$ I can guess what state post #63 hails from....

Old 05-01-2011, 06:20 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary111 View Post
Regardless of where you live- Round Rock, Austin...whatever. IT IS BORING!!! Maybe those of you who have never experienced living in other states with many choices of food, where the city is not comprised mostly of college students trying to be "cool," and people who do not have to walk around always saying how great Austin, and Texas for that matter; would have a different view.
By the way, where the hell are ALL the friendly people that media has spewed about?
Austin has a very good marketing campaign. I will give the city that.
I'm sorry but I very much disagree with you on the friendliness. I've just moved from Austin to San Francisco and the difference in friendliness is probably from night to day. It's unfortunate you've had a bad experience but maybe it slightly has to do with you and not reading into people's characters right, or maybe reading too much into them. Austin is one of the very few places I have found where its easy to strike up a conversation with almost anyone. Yeah, sure there are *******s in Austin, just like anywhere, but boy I sure do miss the friendliness in Austin. You need to go out a little more and give it another try, because what you've described is not at all the way I experienced it.

Come to San Francisco and I will show you rude and ugly people. And please stop hanging out with all the college kids. They are annoying. Nobody likes them. Stop hanging out at 6th St or West Campus. There's other variety of people to make friends with who are laid back and easy going.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:21 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,867,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
What exactly have you been looking for to do?
My thoughts exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin