Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:21 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Austin had a Hard Rock Cafe. It closed in 2006 -- they couldn't compete with the local joints in the highly competitive 6th street environment. Local people just really didn't want to go there, and visitors probably already had a Hard Rock in their city -- so why go there on vacation?
I think the main reason why Hard Rock Cafe closed is because the food there is horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 05:34 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I think the main reason why Hard Rock Cafe closed is because the food there is horrible.
People don't go to the Hard Rock for the food...

Old 03-05-2010, 06:57 PM

83 posts, read 435,411 times
Honestly, people in Dallas couldn't give a rats behind about Austin. Austin likes to think of itself as a more important, or significant than it is. Sure, it's a great place to live, has a great music and arts scene, and is a liberal bastion in a conservative state, but Dallas and it's residents are collectively too corporate-minded and focused on attaining capital to have time to spend on Austin, which really is not a hub of business or commerce.

Houston and it's residents I'm sure feel the same. Austin thinks of itself as a bigger deal than it really is.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
What I remember most about the Hard Rock Cafe's attempt to make it in Austin was that thousands of us campaigned to boycott it. We didn't want to see a bunch of corporate BS like the non-local restaurants and stores around San Antonio's Riverwalk.

The original concept behind the "Keep Austin Weird" slogan was not to promote Leslie Cochran or some kind of image of Austin as a uniquely weird place, it was initiated by Book People and Waterloo Records as a campaign to support local businesses because so many chain stores were invading Austin and putting locals out of business.

Every city's character depends, in part, on local flavor which, in turn, depends partly on local businesses. One of the ways I've done my part to support Austin local is to boycott all chain stores and malls during the Christmas shopping season. A side-benefit of doing this is that it's a good way to avoid hearing muzak Christmas carols.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:59 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
NO! ARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!! "Keep Austin Weird" was NOT started as a "support local business" campaign. It was the twerps who STOLE IT from Red, the person who started the slogan specifically objecting to the loss of Austin's weirdness, who commercialized it over his protests (thus making it clear that they didn't have a CLUE what it was about and that they were, indeed, part of the problem) who turned it into that and now people who weren't there when it was created (I was and still have one of the original FREE bumper stickers around here somewhere that Red gave me like he gave away all of the ones he made) believe that crap!

Red's website tells the tale. Please, please, PLEASE don't pass this story about what Keep Austin Weird means around any longer, because it's just not true and it devalues the true meaning of the slogan. (Yes, Leslie Cochran would be part of it though Leslie was not an Austin icon at the time the phrase was coined, but the idea of Austin being a place where Leslie fits right in is part of the original meaning.)

Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,841 times
Thanks for the info about the KAW origins. I got my information from a local news story, and such sources are often wrong. It's amazing how often the "news" is really a lazy quick grab-bag of whatever reporters can get without having to dig beneath the surface. I need to stop being so gullible!

Old 03-06-2010, 12:30 AM

515 posts, read 1,396,999 times
[quote=TexasHorseLady;13167191]First, welcome to Texas!
Third, consider the things you're hearing in light of sibling rivalry, and all shall become clear. We can say whatever we want about each other, but let anyone else come in and badmouth our state (family), and heads will roll!

It's funny that you mention that because my family and I were just having this same conversation about our home state tonight. We are moving from CA (please never call it Cali) to Austin mid May. We said CA may have big problems right now, and we can bash it, but we get upset when outsiders do it. Just like when I was a kid with my brothers. The were a pain in the neck at times, but they were my pain in the neck.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,696 times
I totally disagree.

I have lived in Austin for 5 years, but prior to relocating because of my work, lived in Dallas for 20 years. Universally, everyone I ever encountered in Dallas would say that they "Love Austin".

The only negatives from those in Dallas voiced would be limited to the significant political differences between between the residents of Dallas and Austin, in reference to the state officials who office in Austin, or due to college rivalries.

What I have observed living here is that the people of Austin love their city, rightfully so. However, to a fault, want everyone else to also love it and wants everyone to be envious of those that live there. Their ego's are easily bruised if they don't get that love.

Comparing the areas, Austin wins for its natural beauty, for the abundant outdoor activities available, lower crime rate, abundance of live music. Whereas, the Dallas area, which is 4 times larger, wins for its stronger business climate, better road systems, better airport options, and it's more numerous entertainment options (restaurants, pro-sports, big venue music concerts).

I love Austin, but also love Dallas. Houston and San Antonio, on the other hand....(just kidding).

Old 03-07-2010, 10:44 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I've been reading several C-D threads and it seems so many other Texans have a vendetta against their own state capital. What gives? Particularly Dallas and Houston residents love to talk smack about Austin as if it were some inferiority/superiority complex.
This is not what happens.
Texans like other Texans.
If anyone is talking smack about a city (not the people) it's usually the other way around.... Austinites (often non-natives) talking smack about the other Texas cities as if Austin is God's gift to the world and doesn't have many of the same problems these days.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
Thanks for the info about the KAW origins. I got my information from a local news story, and such sources are often wrong. It's amazing how often the "news" is really a lazy quick grab-bag of whatever reporters can get without having to dig beneath the surface. I need to stop being so gullible!
If you can remember and let me know where that story was, I'll let them know that they're spreading misinformation.

If they care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin