Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 08:58 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

I've been reading several C-D threads and it seems so many other Texans have a vendetta against their own state capital. What gives? Particularly Dallas and Houston residents love to talk smack about Austin as if it were some inferiority/superiority complex.

Admittedly I'm from the north (Mass) and I loved Austin! I thought it was the most attractive city in Texas. I am moving to Texas by the end of the year adn I'm debating Dallas or Austin. So why do people slam Austin and it's people? I thought Austonians were pretty easy to warm up to, but of course I was on vacation and have lived other places so I know living there would be a huge difference. Is it the college kids? A transient population? What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 09:06 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
First, welcome to Texas!

Second, just to get it out of the way, no matter what that giant condo development downtown obviously named by someone who's Not From Here thinks, it's Austinites, not Austonians.

Third, consider the things you're hearing in light of sibling rivalry, and all shall become clear. We can say whatever we want about each other, but let anyone else come in and badmouth our state (family), and heads will roll!

Fourth, there are a few folks on C-D, just like on most internet forums, whose whole purpose in life is to have SOMEONE to badmouth and they have chosen a city or cities to be their target on C-D. A look at their posting history when you read someone badmouthing a particular city will make it clear who those folks are.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:12 AM

322 posts, read 748,693 times
Residents from Houston and Dallas absolutely hate how much favorable national attention Austin gets. They look at Austin as incredibly overrated when compared to what their beautiful cities have to offer. I honestly think that they would come to its defense though if it was slogged by the rest of the nation because a part of them does find things about Austin they like. It is indeed sibling rivalry.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:23 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,571,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post
Residents from Houston and Dallas absolutely hate how much favorable national attention Austin gets. They look at Austin as incredibly overrated when compared to what their beautiful cities have to offer. I honestly think that they would come to its defense though if it was slogged by the rest of the nation because a part of them does find things about Austin they like. It is indeed sibling rivalry.
I pretty much agree with this statement.

I do think it's because Austin gets all of the media attention as being one of the best places to re-locate to in the Nation. Some of those reports really focus on the aspects of Central Austin and not the more affordable areas in the Austin area. Anyone that gets caught up in the hype and doesn't do their own research could be in for a disappointment, especially if they're coming from a larger city. The cost of housing here in Austin if you want to live in or near downtown is probably much higher than what is stated in any reports or articles that you've read. They take those numbers from the entire Austin area including all the suburbs within 25 miles.

While the Austin area is a great place to raise a family in my opinion, I'm not sure that I'd want to live here if I was single in my 20's unless I was making a lot of money or still in school. I could see how a person in that situation might be a little frustrated with living in Austin. However, I still don't understand why that group still feels the need to continuously bash Austin.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I've been reading several C-D threads and it seems so many other Texans have a vendetta against their own state capital. What gives? Particularly Dallas and Houston residents love to talk smack about Austin as if it were some inferiority/superiority complex.
Really? I only see a select few people doing it (I think everyone here knows who), so I wouldn't say it's widespread at all.
Anyway, it's just C-D. In real life Houston seems to get slammed and trash-talked more than the other cities by far (mostly due to inexperience with it and arrogance of some people in other places IMO.) If anything, it seems Texans have a vendetta against the state's largest city (remember Austin's light rail campaign from years ago? Dallas' bid for the 2012 Olympics? Talk about Houston-bashing)... not the state's capital (unless you're an Aggie!)
Just my observations...

Last edited by AK123; 03-05-2010 at 09:42 AM..

Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,561 times
Personally, I think it's jealousy...haha. Sure, Houston is a global city and Dallas is big and glitzy, but Austin has a charm and feel to it that the other two can't get anywhere even close to touching. Especially when you factor in the scenery and location to the Hill Country, Austin is something that the others can't really replicate.

I'm not from the area obviously, but it seems like it's always people from Dallas/Houston hating on Austin while San Antonio, Fort Worth, and El Paso don't really care so much. Am I correct in thinking this?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
Personally, I think it's jealousy...haha. Sure, Houston is a global city and Dallas is big and glitzy, but Austin has a charm and feel to it that the other two can't get anywhere even close to touching.
I'll have to disagree... I won't speak for Dallas but Houston has plenty of charming areas within the city (exclude the suburbs from both places). The Heights is great, West U/Museum District are lovely and Montrose is "weirder" than anything I ever saw in Austin. Of course, saying this I'll probably be accused of being "jealous" even though I'm a former Austin resident, so nevermind...

Quote:
I'm not from the area obviously, but it seems like it's always people from Dallas/Houston hating on Austin while San Antonio, Fort Worth, and El Paso don't really care so much. Am I correct in thinking this?
No.
There's definitely something between San Antonio and Austin.
And Dallas and Fort Worth have their own rivalry going.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Personally, I think it's jealousy...haha. Sure, Houston is a global city and Dallas is big and glitzy, but Austin has a charm and feel to it that the other two can't get anywhere even close to touching. Especially when you factor in the scenery and location to the Hill Country, Austin is something that the others can't really replicate.

Good response as I see Austin doesn't get a lot of love from Dallas or Houston. I think sibling rivalry explains it all. I've been to San Antonio which is close to Austin but an entirely different element. I feel SA doesn't feel the need to compete nor does it care. They have the history and the Alamo which commands respect I guess. Yes Dallas and Fort Worth seem to have their own rivalry going, and El Paso doesn't even cross my mind, does it cross yours?

Old 03-05-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Good response as I see Austin doesn't get a lot of love from Dallas or Houston.
Good response? I just said that's not true! ^^
I'm curious, but why are people from out-of-state coming in the Texas forums talking about this anyway? You two are going to open a can of worms. Unless that's your goal...

Old 03-05-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Good response? I just said that's not true! ^^
I'm curious, but why are people from out-of-state coming in the Texas forums talking about this anyway? You two are going to open a can of worms. Unless that's your goal...
It's just my observation here on C-D. Oh so since I'm not a Texan I'm not permitted to talk about it? Whatever, 1st responder told me welcome to Texas (love it!). I'm thinking about moving to Dallas or Austin so why should this discussion only be among native Texans?

OK to seal this can of worms why don't you tell me what you think of Austinites as a Texan but not residing in Austin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin