Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:16 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
Yeah, that's a genius observation. I was at the summit of Mount Washington one January and "ironically" found myself wishing I were in Miami because it was so cold and windy.
LOL.

To put in my .02, sure, Austin IS over-hyped. But I love it here just the same. Just because something is over-hyped doesn't mean it's not great. It just means that too many people have gone on too long about it to the point where people tire of hearing about it. It doesn't lessen the city's charm or what it has to offer.

I've lived here a total of two and a half years and I like it now more than ever. I think two and half years is plenty of time to really get to know the place. Let the OP have her impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:04 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,361 times
And speaking of first impressions... I drove through Austin in 1982, went out of my way from I-10 during a cross-country trip, to check out the city because I had heard good things about it from someone I really liked in Amherst, MA (where I was going to school). So I spent a total of about 20 hours in Austin and fell in love with it like no place I've ever been.

If 2-3 days isn't enough time to get the feel of a city then I must be completely insane. Except I came back here in 1990 and still felt in love with the place, and I moved here. And I'm happy with it. And it's hyped by some, castigated by many others (just check the yeas and nays in this forum), and it's just a freaking city!!! So some people like it, others don't. WHO CARES???

The only opinion about Austin that matters is your own. After all, you have to live your life on your own, nobody else can tell you what you will or won't like.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:15 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
Yeah, that's a genius observation. I was at the summit of Mount Washington one January and "ironically" found myself wishing I were in Miami because it was so cold and windy.
Yeah, I was in Portland one time and it was overcast and raining. This is really strange and ironic, but I was wishing I was back in Austin where it was sunny and clear so I could enjoy being outdoors.

I think I'm going to move to Portland and then spend all day on their forum complaining about the city and its weather, and telling people not to move there because it sucks so much.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:56 AM

27 posts, read 70,579 times
Default dreaming of heaven while you burn in hell

I'm smart enough not to live in central Texas (anywhere in Texas...)--hard to enjoy being outside when it's 100 plus degrees out in summer. The rest of the year may be ok, but it doesn't make up for 4 months of intense heat and humidity. Ninety percent of Austin is generic sprawl. It's the new Phoenix with humidity and loads of crappy bands. Enjoy your slice of American wasteland--I'm sure you could have replicated it somewhere closer to home.

Last edited by DCTony; 03-16-2010 at 03:56 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 03-16-2010, 07:43 AM

61 posts, read 173,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTony View Post
I'm smart enough not to live in central Texas (anywhere in Texas...)--hard to enjoy being outside when it's 100 plus degrees out in summer. The rest of the year may be ok, but it doesn't make up for 4 months of intense heat and humidity. Ninety percent of Austin is generic sprawl. It's the new Phoenix with humidity and loads of crappy bands. Enjoy your slice of American wasteland--I'm sure you could have replicated it somewhere closer to home.
Aahahhahahaaa!! You are just a HATER!! Who must not likes what they see in the Mirror!! You clearly know not a thing about the real Austin or it.s people or weather. This is what we did on Sunday in Austin. If you look you will see people of all walks of life who came together in Peace to go fly a kite. Yes that is right in Peace!! That is the way we live here. I read all this stuff from folks in other city's trying their best to bash Austin is just so funny to me. I grew up in the NE and have been all over this Wonderful Country!! There are allot of Great places to live. I could live in any city I wished and you know Austin is the place for me. Hopefully you feel the same way about the place you live. I think you would say that you do but really Deep Down you are not happy with it. That is why you are here saying the things you are saying. From all of us here in Little Old Austin!! We Wish You Peace!!

YouTube - 1000s of Kites over Austin Texas Original Music by Marcome

Last edited by TexasHighDef; 03-16-2010 at 09:07 AM..

Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHighDef View Post
Aahahhahahaaa!! You are just a HATER!! Who must not likes what they see in the Mirror!! You clearly know not a thing about the real Austin or it.s people or weather. This is what we did on Saturday in Austin. If you look you will see people of all walks of life who came together in Peace to go fly a kite. Yes that is right in Peace!! That is the way we live here. I read all this stuff from folks in other city's trying their best to bash Austin is just so funny to me. I grew up in the NE and have been all over this Wonderful Country!! There are allot of Great places to live. I could live in any city I wished and you know Austin is the place for me. Hopefully you feel the same way about the place you live. I think you would say that you do but really Deep Down you are not happy with it. That is why you are here saying the things you are saying. From all of us here in Little Old Austin!! We Wish You Peace!!

YouTube - 1000s of Kites over Austin Texas Original Music by Marcome
I remember doing this on Sunday, not Saturday.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 AM

61 posts, read 173,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I remember doing this on Sunday, not Saturday.
Sorry your right! This is what I did on Saturday!! LoL There is so much going on here it is hard to keep it all straight!! Aahhaaaaaa!!

YouTube - Dwarf Race-cars with Original Music from Marcome

Old 03-16-2010, 04:12 PM

27 posts, read 70,579 times
Default peace?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHighDef View Post
From all of us here in Little Old Austin!! We Wish You Peace!!

Tell that to the person who broke into my car and stole my radio while I was visiting "Little Old Austin," or the drunken idiots I saw pummeling each other downtown. If it's so peaceful, why do so many Texans carry guns?

To the other posters who ran me down, I found it ironic that I was so hot in what was, even back in 2003, being touted as the "coolest" place on earth. OK, not my best sentence... but I didn't start out running down your town, just observing how overhyped it is. As the "it's a wonderful world" poster implied (ever considered writing greeting cards?), this site is a colossal waste of time.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:36 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
. "If it's so peaceful, why do so many Texans carry guns?"

I would venture to guess that you just answered your own question.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:53 PM

132 posts, read 225,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTony View Post
Tell that to the person who broke into my car and stole my radio while I was visiting "Little Old Austin," or the drunken idiots I saw pummeling each other downtown. If it's so peaceful, why do so many Texans carry guns?

To the other posters who ran me down, I found it ironic that I was so hot in what was, even back in 2003, being touted as the "coolest" place on earth. OK, not my best sentence... but I didn't start out running down your town, just observing how overhyped it is. As the "it's a wonderful world" poster implied (ever considered writing greeting cards?), this site is a colossal waste of time.
I think that it's a good thing that people are proud of their city. I've lived in the Northeast for too long, where people are more or less generally ashamed of where they come from, and generally cynical about it. Optimism is a good thing. It is hard (especially on the internet) to find a collective of people who are positive about their location. People are far more likely to take the time to get on the internet and post if they have a complaint, not a compliment. It makes me believe that things are actually as good or better than they are represented on these boards, not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin