Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 01:07 PM

77 posts, read 382,493 times

Advertisements

During our wanderings this past week, we looked at a route on the map that appeared to be a shortcut from the 360/2244 area to Lake Austin Blvd in the downtown area. Route obviously went thru residential area but we resolved to try it. Ran out of time before we had to return to NOLA but put it on the list for our next trip over.

Anybody use this route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 04:38 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,119,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romesq View Post
During our wanderings this past week, we looked at a route on the map that appeared to be a shortcut from the 360/2244 area to Lake Austin Blvd in the downtown area. Route obviously went thru residential area but we resolved to try it. Ran out of time before we had to return to NOLA but put it on the list for our next trip over.

Anybody use this route?
If you live in westlake it is doable. I dont use it regularly, but I would suspect during rush hour the stop sign before the dam is probably pretty backed up.

Where are you starting from?

Old 06-03-2007, 04:42 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,048,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romesq View Post

Anybody use this route?
I drove this all the time when my office was at Bee Caves/Redbud. It's a meandering, hilly roundabout route of two lane rd.

I'm not sure it saves time, but it doesn't take a whole lot longer than driving Bee Caves to Mopac. I use to drive it just to stay out of traffic on Bee Caves Rd. and because it's rather scenic and relaxing.

Steve

Old 06-03-2007, 09:07 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times
I use that route (sort of) during rush hour sometimes. It's not really that much faster, but at least you keep moving! It's especially helpful if your destination is north of the river, or if you tend to lose your sanity in dead-stop traffic on Mopac or 360..

I've learned what I think is the "official shortcut": If you are already on 2244 heading east past 360, don't take Redbud trail. Proceed to Westlake Drive, and take a left (there is a light there, before the Wells Fargo). Westlake Dr will with intersect Redbud at a stop sign, skipping some of the more twisty sections of Redbud. Take a right on Redbud (great view of downtown), and you'll cross over town lake on a little bridge, and end up at Lake Austin Blvd. Take a right, drive to Mopac, it will turn into either 1st or 5th (your choice) after you cross under the highway. Presto, downtown with via back roads. Word of caution, though: watch out at night! There aren't many streetlights, and lots of deer around.

An extension to the shortcut...

* If you are going to destinations north of downtown, but want to avoid Mopac, take Exposition left (only way you can go) from Lake Austin Blvd BEFORE you get to Mopac. You can go all the way to 35th street that way, parallel with Mopac. You could go even farther north if you took Balcones after Exposition ends.. although that would stop being a shortcut, I think. Too slow and twisty.

A pre-extension to the shortcut...

* If you are coming from 360, you can bypass 2244 by taking Westbank Drive from 360 (3 lights south of 2244, right where Westlake HS is), then taking a left on Camp Craft Rd, then a right on 2244 for only 100 feet or so, then a left at the light at Westlake Dr and proceed with the shortcut mentioned above.

Try it out sometime, and it will seem much simpler. You can judge whether it will save you any time... but I think you'll like the drive.

Old 06-04-2007, 07:08 AM

77 posts, read 382,493 times
Thanks to all for these suggestions! Will be coming from Barton Creek area. Going to try when we get back to Austin later this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin