U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 05:54 PM

69 posts, read 192,106 times

Advertisements

We are possibly relocating to SW Austin this summer. I have 2 wonderful daughters left at home who will be going into 8th & 9th grade next fall. They are bright, well behaved students but so far not academic all stars (I've raised 1 valedictorian, so I recognize one when I see one).

I don't mean to be a smart alec ( pun somewhat intended) but it seems many of the inquiries about the quality of the schools are written by posters who are convinced their kid is going to be the valedictorian.

I'm just trying to be real. We have expectations that our last 2 girls will do well in school, go to college and be successful. I want them in a school with peers whose families have the same expectations, where a challenging but supportive environment is available.

We visited with family in Lakeway recently enjoyed the area. We also checked out Eanes and like the thought of being closer to downtown, but I think the costs are too prohibitive. Right now, we are favoring Lake Travis schools.

We plan to lease for the first year, looking for a 4 bedroom home in a sociable neighborhood. Our 18 year old may be joining us and would be attending Austin Community College if she does not stay in Michigan to attend the state university there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 AM

13,719 posts, read 26,886,732 times
All of my kids attended/attend Lake Travis schools. I think most here will agree Lake Travis is one of a group of very good Austin area high schools, probably just a bit behind Westlake.

I find pursuit of valedictorian almost meaningless. We know several, and they games they play choosing classes and fretting over every single grade point is silly. Just my opinion of course.

But Lake Travis is a challenging and rewarding school if you want it to be. It also has excellent programs for "ag" students. The AP and pre-AP classes are rigorous, and taught by the best teachers on campus.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:55 AM

13,675 posts, read 30,393,038 times
It is hard to tell exactly what you are looking for, but from what I have heard, Lake Travis, Dripping Springs, and Bowie (in SW Austin proper) are all good schools. By reputation, Eanes is much more competetive, but I don't personally know. I personally prefer a slightly more laid back atmosphere (why give your kids a complex in HS?), and I think Dripping is a little more that direction than Eanes and possibly LT; however, my experience is more from reputation, co-workers with kids, and from our babysitters .

Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 AM

6,208 posts, read 16,053,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
It is hard to tell exactly what you are looking for, but from what I have heard, Lake Travis, Dripping Springs, and Bowie (in SW Austin proper) are all good schools. By reputation, Eanes is much more competetive, but I don't personally know. I personally prefer a slightly more laid back atmosphere (why give your kids a complex in HS?), and I think Dripping is a little more that direction than Eanes and possibly LT; however, my experience is more from reputation, co-workers with kids, and from our babysitters .
I agree, any of these schools are fine.

Steve

Old 03-12-2010, 09:53 PM

Thank you all for your replies. We will be visiting 1 week from now and I'm looking forward to see which school environment seems like the best fit. Of course I want them to do well in school, but I want them to be happy and feel like it's a community they can be part of. I don't think the an extremely competitive school would benefit them.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:34 PM

786 posts, read 2,519,157 times
I highly recommend Dripping Springs. My daughter started there as a sophomore when we moved down from Canada last year. They did a good job in matching up her grade level between Ontario and Texas curriculum and set things up so that she did not drop behind even though she was missing a couple of Texas required courses. She just had to make them up during the year.

The school itself (as a community) has been very welcoming and supporting as required. They have a good balance between pushing the kids hard academically while supporting all of the non-academic portions of high school. While she has always been a good student (not a valedictorian, but top 20%), this year she has adopted a more aggressive attitude in scoring good marks in school as she gets ready for University. The counselors and teachers are doing a good job in focusing the juniors on what they have to concentrate on.

While all this is going on she is also a member of the Hi Steppers drill team which provide a good tension release outlet and social life base. My impression is that the school attempts to make sure that the kids are not skewed in only one direction and become multi-faceted individuals.

The school atmosphere is relaxed and casual, but respectful. The students are a mix of suburb dwellers and country/farm dwellers so you (or at least I) don't see a any large issues with competing groups, cliques etc. The school, staff and students seem to relish the "country high school" type image they have while recognizing that they have programs, staff and facilities on a par with any other high school in the area.

Next year the high school and middle schools swap locations following a couple of years of construction. The new location will be set up for an almost doubling of students and will include some new facilities such as a new auditorium, gym and other items.

If you are coming for a visit, contact the school and arrange for your daughters to spend some time there. Our daughter spent a day with a student ambassador and that sold her on the school. They arranged for her to meet her potential guidance councilor, talked to teachers and students about the school, courses and life in DS in general, and receive a very strong positive vibe from the whole thing. She felt that the staff wanted her to become a DS student. This contrasted with Lake Travis who basically said, "Yeah, come on out and we should be able to find someone to walk you through the campus. They MAY be able to answer some questions."

Good Luck.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:28 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 611,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbailey View Post
We are possibly relocating to SW Austin this summer. I have 2 wonderful daughters left at home who will be going into 8th & 9th grade next fall. They are bright, well behaved students but so far not academic all stars (I've raised 1 valedictorian, so I recognize one when I see one).

I don't mean to be a smart alec ( pun somewhat intended) but it seems many of the inquiries about the quality of the schools are written by posters who are convinced their kid is going to be the valedictorian.

I'm just trying to be real. We have expectations that our last 2 girls will do well in school, go to college and be successful. I want them in a school with peers whose families have the same expectations, where a challenging but supportive environment is available.

We visited with family in Lakeway recently enjoyed the area. We also checked out Eanes and like the thought of being closer to downtown, but I think the costs are too prohibitive. Right now, we are favoring Lake Travis schools.

We plan to lease for the first year, looking for a 4 bedroom home in a sociable neighborhood. Our 18 year old may be joining us and would be attending Austin Community College if she does not stay in Michigan to attend the state university there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Is your valedictorian daughter trying to decide between Michigan and ACC?

Old 03-16-2010, 05:37 AM

No, I was referring to my eldest daughter. She graduated from U of M with a degree in Russian & Eastern European History. She is a successful business woman, recently promoted to Principal at her consulting company and an MBA candidate at the University of Chicago.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:46 AM

Thank you Iceshots for your info on Dripping Springs, it sounds very nice. I'm visiting soon and I will definitely drive out that way to check it out. My only concern about DS is the distance from the airport and city. How long of a drive is it?

Old 03-19-2010, 02:39 AM

786 posts, read 2,519,157 times
We live 10 minutes east of Drippin. It takes about 35 minutes to get to the airport unless there is a traffic jam somewhere. I would give 45 minutes in rush hour to allow for additional traffic at the Y. That is the only slow down.

We don't head downtown in the morning, so I cannot comment. We both work in SW Austin. I have had to head up MoPac to Far West for 9am doctor appointments lately. We allow an hour for the trip and usually do it in 30 - 45 minutes. Backup is usually seen along Mopac from 290 to north of the river. After that it usually clears up.

I believe there are other threads on here providing traffic estimates into downtown. You can also find an estimate from Oak Hill and add 10 to 15 minutes depending on where in Dripping you live. The boundaries start around Belterra at Nutty Brown road, which is about 7 minutes closer in that we are.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or