Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:44 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times

Advertisements

No offense but you can google it just as easily as I can.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:46 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
So, you want to make accusations, but you want others to do the work of proving your point? I see.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:48 PM

No absolutely not you're claiming I'm making up the Justice Department investigation of Austin police which I know is a fact. You prove that I'm making it up or put a cork in it.
Thats how this country works innocent until proven guilty.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
No absolutely not you're claiming I'm making up the Justice Department investigation of Austin police which I know is a fact. You prove that I'm making it up or put a cork in it.
Thats how this country works innocent until proven guilty.
Well, you declined to provide evidence of several of your claims, politely saying:

Stuff it go research the circumstances of police abuse in Austin yourself or do you think the Justice Department starts investigations of police misconduct for ****s and giggles?

to someone who pointed out that you are misinformed. Since you seem to be quite positive of your statements, it would seem that you would have the evidence more or less readily to hand, or at least already know where to get it. Since YOU are the one making the accusations, shouldn't YOU be the one proving the accusations that you make against the APD, using your own reasoning of "that's how this country works innocent until proven guilty"? That would, presumably, apply to the members of the APD, as well, would it not, they being citizens of this country?

Old 03-16-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, you declined to provide evidence of several of your claims, politely saying:

Stuff it go research the circumstances of police abuse in Austin yourself or do you think the Justice Department starts investigations of police misconduct for ****s and giggles?

to someone who pointed out that you are misinformed. Since you seem to be quite positive of your statements, it would seem that you would have the evidence more or less readily to hand, or at least already know where to get it. Since YOU are the one making the accusations, shouldn't YOU be the one proving the accusations that you make against the APD, using your own reasoning of "that's how this country works innocent until proven guilty"? That would, presumably, apply to the members of the APD, as well, would it not, they being citizens of this country?
The poster who posted that attacked me without provocation so I told him to stuff it. Just like i'm telling you. Its not my job to educate you on the Justice Department investigation that did indeed take place. If you've had your head in the sand for years and dont believe me thats your own problem I couldnt give a damn.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
The poster who posted that attacked me without provocation so I told him to stuff it. Just like i'm telling you. Its not my job to educate you on the Justice Department investigation that did indeed take place. If you've had your head in the sand for years and dont believe me thats your own problem I couldnt give a damn.
He "attacked" you by disagreeing with you? Hey, discussion involves disagreement sometimes.

Looking at what he said, he said, politely, that you were misinformed about some things. That's VERY far from an "attack". In fact, your response was much closer to an attack than anything he said.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:14 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Quote:
If you or I did exactly what that cop did it would be assault if you want to uphold the law live by it. A person who is blocking traffic is a threat only to himself so the logical course of action is to beat him down?
What planet do you live on? If a cop cant stand up for himself without beating someone they are operating at the level of a dog and dont belong on a professional police force.

I researched the Justice Department Investigation, and they came back with "no condemnation" of APD, rather a mild list of recommendations on how APD could improve. No smoking gun here...

Quote:
Austin News: DOJ: 160 Ways Austin Police Can Improve - AustinChronicle.com

Indeed, (Jim) Harrington ( with the Texas Civil Rights Project) said that the policy recommendations are not minor and that while the APD is one of the better departments in the country, there is "a lot of room to grow."
"APD is one of the better departments in the country", Jim Harrington, Texas Civil Rights Project.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:15 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,049 times
Eh...Dallas probably needs him more.
Ugly police cars? Is that the half taxi lookin' thing?

Old 03-16-2010, 06:48 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,049,590 times
And herein is the core of the problem with those who defend criminals.

Quote:
If you or I did exactly what that cop did it would be assault if you want to uphold the law live by it.
From the "we hate cops" talking points workshop, speak only about the actions of the individual who was required to respond to the criminal's actions. Ignore the criminal's actions as if they didn't occur. The only matter to be discussed is the alleged wrongful reaction of the police.

Quote:
A person who is blocking traffic is a threat only to himself so the logical course of action is to beat him down?
A person blocking traffic and disobeying the instructions of a police officer is a danger to:
a) the drivers.
b) the police who are now required to respond to the behavior, not knowing why the person is acting in that manner, how they might respond, or what they might do next.

Quote:
What planet do you live on?
I live on the same planet as you, but I subscribe to a culture of personal accountability. That means I alone am responsible for the consequences of my actions. I don't blame others.

Quote:
If a cop cant stand up for himself without beating someone they are operating at the level of a dog and dont belong on a professional police force.
Again, have you nothing to say about the conduct of the criminal? And, to be clear, the cops stand up for all of us. They uphold the law.

Quote:
Your refusal to back up your allegations proves the point. Your way of thinking has contributed to the entitlement mindset that has infected American. People seem unable to connect simple dots to see that their own actions determine what happens to them in life.

Orbius, if you are beaten and mugged on the street, and your pregnant girlfriend kicked in the stomach, and the police react quickly and capture the thug a block away and also rough him up a bit because he fights with them and tries to get away, and in doing so tries to grab an officer's gun and is shot and wounded by another officer, do I understand correctly that the important thing to determine in the aftermath of that would be whether or not the police acted properly? And to completely ignore all prior acts of the thug, including the beating and robbing of you and your girlfriend, as if that no longer matters because the thug is now obviously the greater victim?

Would you demand a complete investigation into the actions of the police, or would you thank them for getting your wallet back and catching the robber?

Condemn them or thank them, in my example, which would you do?

Steve

Old 03-16-2010, 07:51 PM

The criminal was a Hollywood actor who had too much to drink and was acting stupid and was no threat to anyone but himself and certainly didnt deserve a beating. Again a cop operating on the level of an animal beats down someone who doesnt obey their command like the word of God. A man doesnt feel like he has to exert total control over everyone and serves the community. Its my advice to Austin to hire men as cops and not dogs.
If Austin wants the 100's of millions of dollars the booze and partying in their bar district brings in each year they need to learn to deal with harmless drunks in a humane way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin