Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM

43 posts, read 100,891 times

Advertisements

I am looking for someone with small business knowledge. I am going to open a small business and need help with the business start up. I have contacted the Small Business Administration and other programs with the city. Any advice or direction would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 11:55 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdfblair View Post
I am looking for someone with small business knowledge. I am going to open a small business and need help with the business start up. I have contacted the Small Business Administration and other programs with the city. Any advice or direction would be appreciated!
I seem to recall that ACC has a class which focuses on starting up your own small business.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:44 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
Have you made an appointment with the local Score office?

Free small business counseling | SCORE Austin

It's a great resource where you can get classes, counseling, etc from other current and former business owners. If you need help with the legal/paperwork to become a corporation, I've heard legalzoom.com is a good value. If you are looking for a loan, start talking with a local bank or credit union, they will give you some guidelines... but chances are you'll need to seek "alternative" financing initially. That would include using your own savings, credit cards, and seeking loans/investors from among friends and family. It's not always pretty, but starting a business requires risk. And some of the most successful ones are started by people willing to risk it all for their dream. On the plus side, everything is cheap right now -- equipment, labor, office space.

What other sort of help are you looking for?

Old 03-12-2010, 12:59 PM

43 posts, read 100,891 times
Thanks for the advice, this gives me some leads! I want to make sure that I use my funds wisely and complete all the necessary paperwork.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:35 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,126,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdfblair View Post
bootstrap austin is a great (free) organization for people who are thinking about starting businesses and those who have started businesses - using their own money.

They have "bootboards" which are small groups (6-10) of business owners that get together once a month to talk about their progress, financials etc.

The main organization meets once a month but you just missed the last meeting.

I run several of the growth bootboards which have companies that range in revenue from 300K to about 10M

Old 03-13-2010, 02:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Lots of small business classes at ACC that may help you as well.

They have several classes in their continuing Ed program:
Business And Industry Institute

Old 03-15-2010, 05:46 AM

37 posts, read 82,115 times
You should check out the Business Success Center - Austin & Central Texas - Sustainable Business Management Assistance

I have seen their facility and have met the owners- they have a great coaching/mentoring program to get small business owners up and running, and generating revenue!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:43 AM

4 posts, read 8,312 times
Would you mind sharing what your small business is? (not all of the details) It may help people watching the forum have more focused advice! Best of luck to you!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:42 PM

273 posts, read 700,493 times
I can help with free money saving advice

Like how you can register your business as a LLC cheap by doing it yourself and other such stuff.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:54 PM

273 posts, read 700,493 times
I filed my own LLC paper work. I simply took a copy of an already LLC document that had been filed and retyped all the pertinent information such as company name, address etc. then contacted the state and found out where and how I need to file. They gave me all the information, requirements, and outlined process.
I did what was needed to get the process stared and filed the paperwork with a money order at the state office and presto saved myself hundreds of dollars.

All the paper work was accepted and valid and then I went on to finding my lease space within an office complex that was managed by a smaller owner rather than a larger entity that wasn’t personable.

Everything worked out fine, and my company grew to have many employees until one day I was asked if I was interested in selling my business and I decided to. Therefore I have a little experience in small business

Just ask away or PM if I don’t respond, I sometimes forget what threads I have posted in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin