Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:52 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I can't believe that some of the replies to that story sided with the aggressor.
Every time the "news media" (especially TV) reports on a story that I'm personally familiar .....they get a portion of it wrong. (All 6-7 times). Sometimes wildly wrong....sometimes just a little bit....but everytime they get something wrong.

I don't know what the facts are. Maybe "the aggressor" rammed the guy 4 times, maybe not. Maybe the parent allowed his child to cross a busy street while he was busy screaming at the doofus parked in his truck....maybe not. (The aggressor "rammed" him 4 times & then pulled over to the side of the road when asked to....or possibly to help?? huh??)

The only guy i see "siding with the aggressor" (in the story) is a guy who (supposedly) was driving by & is saying that the victim was loony toons. He's not saying that he is supporting "the aggressor"....he's saying that he didn't see the collisions, but that the victim was acting irrational & was not being a good parent (his read).

Looking forward to hearing what really happened....hopefully in the papers since local TV s*cks (always has).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 03:38 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
Every time the "news media" (especially TV) reports on a story that I'm personally familiar .....they get a portion of it wrong. (All 6-7 times). Sometimes wildly wrong....sometimes just a little bit....but everytime they get something wrong.
I have had the same experience. I have personally known about or been involved with a story several times, and have seen first hand that the press generally is more interesting in a good story that grabs headlines rather than getting the facts of the story right. (A couple of times, I have actually said to a reporter "No, that's not correct. The facts are....." , but the story that came out still had the incorrect "facts". ) That is why, when a story has two sides, or a "right" and "wrong" factor, it is always best not to make a judgment, because the public really doesn't know the facts. There are so, so many political stories where the press has picked up the most inflammatory thing said and run with that, rather than helping the public by stating all sides of an issue so that people can make truly informed judgments. The same thing about using stories in the press to "judge" whether someone who is being tried for a crime is guilty or not; unless you are in that courtroom hearing all the evidence, forming an opinion seems pretty much futile to me.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:44 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,056,803 times
I read the comments and I think the guy that is criticizing the victim is way off base. I think I'd seem a little crazy too after being rammed several times by a big truck like that. I might be standing in the street screaming for help with my kid still in the car. In the moments after an accident sometimes people lose their heads. What kind of a mean spirited person sits and casts that kind of judgment over someone that has just been victimized. If he were screaming like that a day later, well then, maybe it would be fair to question his mental health, but right at the time of the crime?

Old 03-18-2010, 05:55 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tongpa-nyi View Post
It's actually very easy to practice these things. And you'll be surprised by how much better you'll feel. That's the true reward of kindness --- it brings you the blessing of inner serenity.
What is recommended for the person who gets hit?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:55 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
Happens all the time. A car in an Accord was trying to cut me off and squeeze in front of me where there was little space on 2222. So I sped up to stop from being cut off. Next thing I know the guy tries to crash into me, and I know what an aggressive pretend maneouver is and this wasnt it. I was all the way onto the shoulder in a pure reflex move to avoid crashing.
He was gesticulating wildly after that but thought better of it after I held up my cell phone. He behaved like a puddy cat after his pea brain realized the fact he could get hauled in for what he did.
I was tempted to call the police but ultimately if theres no accident its his word versus yours and if the cop takes a dislike to you, you could end up being hauled in just as easily as he could.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:03 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,565,078 times
This whole episode is indeed rather odd considering how laid back Austin is.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
My first thought was maybe it was a Toyota and the accelerator stuck, causing him to ram several times .

Old 03-19-2010, 09:07 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
My first thought was maybe it was a Toyota and the accelerator stuck, causing him to ram several times .
The bozo who ran over the bus stop is looking for an excuse...let's not give HIM one!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:12 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Actually, given the rate at which Texas is issuing CHLs and the number of Texans who already carry guns, I'm a bit surprised that one of these incidents hasn't ended differently. Of course, road-rage is nothing new and a few years ago a road rage incident in Atlanta DID end with the victim using a gun in self defense. I'm not making a suggestion, just an observation. Let's be careful out there!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:13 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Of course, road-rage is nothing new...
Did you read that actor Fess Parker suffered a knife wound in an almost-fatal road rage incident in 1946 or so? I didn't realize its history went back that far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin