Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:59 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,889 times

Advertisements

South Austin road rage victim wants aggressive driver to face charges | kvue.com | KVUE News local
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 04:28 AM

428 posts, read 1,065,142 times
Honestly, I'm not one for advocating violence, but I'd have pulled that guy outta the truck and beat him. Nothing anyone does on the road is worth endangering a child. Jerk. I hope he goes to prison.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:17 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Okay, red herring of bashing aside (want to talk about sounding like a six-year-old?), this is the third case I've heard of recently of road rage, and something needs to be done about it. And it's NOT making excuses for the miscreant because of traffic conditions in Austin (I can hear that coming a mile away on here); it's holding the criminal responsible for his or her actions and having harsh penalties for throwing a hissy fit with a thousand pound metal object.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:33 AM

428 posts, read 1,065,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, red herring of bashing aside (want to talk about sounding like a six-year-old?), this is the third case I've heard of recently of road rage, and something needs to be done about it. And it's NOT making excuses for the miscreant because of traffic conditions in Austin (I can hear that coming a mile away on here); it's holding the criminal responsible for his or her actions and having harsh penalties for throwing a hissy fit with a thousand pound metal object.
Agreed. And a Chevy 3/4 ton truck weighs in around the 5000 lbs range.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:34 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
It is hard to believe that anyone would ram a car with his truck like that, but I guess there are a fair share of Neanderthals carrying driver's licenses. Probably a mixture of 'roid and road rage.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 03-18-2010 at 08:47 AM..

Old 03-18-2010, 08:35 AM

Well, that was just to take into account all the possible vehicles that the law could apply to!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 AM

587 posts, read 1,420,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

Old 03-18-2010, 11:56 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I can't believe that some of the replies to that story sided with the aggressor.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 PM

I can. Thus my comment regarding making excuses for the miscreant not being the solution.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:25 PM

680 posts, read 1,383,951 times
Driving presents us with a wonderful opportunity to learn about the inner workings of our minds. To drive is such an unnatural act to begin with, it seems to give rise to the worst of our nature as we are granted a sense of power and control that our brains never evolved to cope with. Given that false sense of control, we imagine that we're entitled to experience a smooth ride without red lights, traffic jams, or other drivers who don't do exactly as we would have them do.

All the while, we are doing unto others precisely what we would NOT have them do unto us. We get in a hurry, cut people off, fail to yield, or just happen to get to the yellow light at the last second, stranding the person behind us who then feels angry that we got in their way.

This is who we are. All our best pretensions at civility and righteousness go out the window when we're behind the wheel.

Here are some suggested practices I've recently adopted in order to transform my personal experience of driving:

1. When someone cuts in front of you, imagine that they really need to be there and wish them well. Give thanks for the fact that both of you are still safely on the road.

2. When you're in a hurry and the light turns red, be happy for the people on the cross street for whom the light turned green. Imagine them being in a hurry too, perhaps one that is more important than yours. Or, if you can, just be happy for them regardless of their situation.

3. At random times as you're on the road, send mental images of love and safety to those in other cars. Wish them a safe journey, good health, and enjoyment of the moment.

It's actually very easy to practice these things. And you'll be surprised by how much better you'll feel. That's the true reward of kindness --- it brings you the blessing of inner serenity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin