Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 07:17 AM

544 posts, read 1,661,780 times

Advertisements

looking like another example of weird austin is under fire from the city fathers -- to tap song lyrics again, "should i stay or should i go?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 07:25 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,611,633 times
Oh, it'll probably go and then some nice, expensive condos will go up in its place

Old 03-26-2010, 11:06 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,552,350 times
Apparently that's not the kind of 'weird' that brings in the 450K homebuyers.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:15 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,810,040 times
Too bad, because it's supposed to be featured in the Austin Yard Art Tour next month: Austin Art Yards

Something strange is going on in South Austin, with things like this and the Fairview neighborhood fiasco: Fairview neighbors fight back on code violations - News 8 Austin

It's looking more and more like East Austin will have to become the new South Austin, as South Austin becomes the new Tarrytown. Oh well.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:33 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,516,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Too bad, because it's supposed to be featured in the Austin Yard Art Tour next month: Austin Art Yards

Something strange is going on in South Austin, with things like this and the Fairview neighborhood fiasco: Fairview neighbors fight back on code violations - News 8 Austin

It's looking more and more like East Austin will have to become the new South Austin, as South Austin becomes the new Tarrytown. Oh well.
I have a friend in Austin who's in the construction industry. He explained to me that a few years, the City of Austin hired a ton of code inspectors and in an effort to be able to pay for all of them, the city has gotten a lot more zealous about enforcing code violations. The Fairview neighborhood incidents sound like an example of enforcement taken to an extreme.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:09 AM

544 posts, read 1,661,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passionatearts View Post
I have a friend in Austin who's in the construction industry. He explained to me that a few years, the City of Austin hired a ton of code inspectors and in an effort to be able to pay for all of them, the city has gotten a lot more zealous about enforcing code violations. The Fairview neighborhood incidents sound like an example of enforcement taken to an extreme.
in many ways, city government is about kingdom building -- take law enforcement -- you hire more deputies/police cause crime is horrible (and it ain't good) -- they write more tickets that generate revenue so they have stas that prove that crime is rampant so you must hire more people -- now, sherrif's deputies can write traffic tickets so wilco, for example, stakes out deputies on foot to write seat belt tickets in anderson mill -- they pull over teenagers that signal for a turn but not within the 100 ft as pescribed by law (hoping to get a dope bust cause with the patriot act you cannot refuse to be searched without going to jail - refusing is probable cause) -- when did government start serving it's own interest instead of the publics?

Old 03-27-2010, 07:33 AM

3,787 posts, read 6,971,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROY DUBOSE View Post
when did government start serving it's own interest instead of the publics?

When they got "pwnd".

Old 03-27-2010, 08:33 AM

680 posts, read 1,379,563 times
What a good thread. All of the comments thus far have been well-worded and capture my sentiments about things without resorting to finger-wagging or excessive blame. This is much more skillful than my ill-conceived thread titled "Newcomers destroying South Austin." I was once a newcomer. Even a baby born here is a newcomer, as were the native Americans who first chanced upon the oasis of springs and wildlife that comprised this region prior to the destructive and murderous triumph of European immigrants who decimated much of what was once a natural paradise.

My feeling about the Cathedral of Junk is that it is a treasure. I love the fact that it violates codes. My entire existence is a violation of code.

May all eccentric beings and their imaginative creations thrive in a climate of acceptance.

May the incessant desire to control the behavior of others and to eliminate the inherent risk of existing in fragile yet resilient human form diminish as we embrace the curious phenomena that continuously arise, change and vanish all around us.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:27 AM

2,101 posts, read 4,516,007 times
Does anyone here know what the current status is of the Cathedral of Junk?

I searched the Internet and got conflicting information about what's happened to the cathedral. Some sites say that that cathedral is dismantled and others have said that it's still around.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,453 times
I saw a piece on the local news about this issue several months ago and while I sympathize with the artist, I wouldn't want it next door to my home either so I am honestly on the fence with this. It's a zoning issue. He would have been wise to find out whether what he was doing was lawful before starting such a labor of love and investing so much of his time, money and heart in this. The broadcast I saw reported that it was to be removed by a certain date in order to avoid criminal charges being filed and the city bulldozing the cathedral & hauling it away.

I lived in Austin from 87 to late 92. Work brought me back in 2005. It's unfortunately not the same town anymore. Yeah, I know; everything changes, blah blah blah... The double-stacked roads while seemingly necessary have removed the "Austin-Charm" and replaced it with more "Oh... more Dallas." George Jetson inspired fly-overs and Rick Perry's Bed-Buddie's Toll Roads are cluttering up what I have alway regarded as the most beautiful, charming & my favorite city in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin