Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:19 AM

4 posts, read 5,388 times

Advertisements

Recently I have seen many postings for openings at Dell for Ecommerce Architects and developers ..did anyone interview with them and can share there experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 12:12 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
Generally Dell sucks as a place to work. They like to overwork, underpay, and will dump you to the curb without pause or thought if it suits them. Having said that if you find a niche and are the type that can have storms and drama swirling around them without letting it bother them you can be fine there.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:13 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,960 times
It may be helpful to you to take a look at GlassDoor.com and read the interview experiences recorded by applicants who interviewed at Dell; there are quite a few since the company is so large.

If you've never visited GlassDoor, it's a cool site where, as long as you sign up and provide your own anomalous salary info, you can view salaries, reviews and interview experiences for companies across the country. I've spent a hour searching ex-employers and prospect employers reviews, it’s addictive.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:52 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times
Orbius- this is such c#ap. Ok, they've let people go in the past but they don't just dump people off on the curb for no reason. I can tell you firsthand that you won't see layoffs like you have in the past (new CFO was equally frustrated with the history in this area and has cleaned up the financials which allow them to better control headcount). The company has been through significant transformation and is a much different place than it was a few years ago. "They" don't overwork anyone and "they" don't underpay (well, ok, they don't anymore- they fixed that too). Most of the drama queens have left also (no time for that in this new environment). I would give it a shot and see what you think of the interview team. Ask them the tough questions and see what they have to say. I think your job is what you make of it. It is one's own choice to always be a victim. The eDell initiative is huge and will be a priority moving forward as they beef up their presence online.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:49 PM

729 posts, read 2,067,447 times
Sorry I agree with Orbuis. I worked there for 10 months....Call Center Services in Building 3. Lights kept low and everybody kept to themselves. One time somebody turned on the lights....OMG everybody had a f'ing fit!!!! Benefits sux. We had a baby 7 months into my Dell career and I did not qualify for FMLA. My manager was constantly sick and I only saw him 4 times in 10 months. I spoke to him on the phone on occassion but he was so blitz up with meds he would always forget what we talked about and would deny everything in person. My team lead was a prima dona and did not welcome new ideas and concepts. My team consisted of weirdos and introverts...mostly dog lovers. Its funny how they spoke about them as their dogs were actual children. One time we had a day at Dell Diamond. Of course my team ate and sat seperate from the rest of the company over there at the far end of the 3rd base side.

It was Dell Hell for me and I know alot of ex-Dell employees that agree with me.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:41 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth from ELP View Post
Sorry I agree with Orbuis. I worked there for 10 months....Call Center Services in Building 3. Lights kept low and everybody kept to themselves. One time somebody turned on the lights....OMG everybody had a f'ing fit!!!! Benefits sux. We had a baby 7 months into my Dell career and I did not qualify for FMLA. My manager was constantly sick and I only saw him 4 times in 10 months. I spoke to him on the phone on occassion but he was so blitz up with meds he would always forget what we talked about and would deny everything in person. My team lead was a prima dona and did not welcome new ideas and concepts. My team consisted of weirdos and introverts...mostly dog lovers. Its funny how they spoke about them as their dogs were actual children. One time we had a day at Dell Diamond. Of course my team ate and sat seperate from the rest of the company over there at the far end of the 3rd base side.

It was Dell Hell for me and I know alot of ex-Dell employees that agree with me.
Dell is a huge company and your experience is with a call center. The poster asked about eDell which is a specific group in IT and the business which is changing the way dell online works. The group has a number of very interesting initiatives and has the attention of senior dell execs all the way to the CEO. Dell is a pressure cooker and the competition is fierce. However I havent found the politics to be bad at all. Most of the workers are committed to doing good work and there are a lot of opportunities to learn and grow. There are very few B to C companies in austin so Dell is a good place to get that kind of high volume technical experience.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:03 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,780,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FueledByBlueBell View Post
Orbius- this is such c#ap. Ok, they've let people go in the past but they don't just dump people off on the curb for no reason. I can tell you firsthand that you won't see layoffs like you have in the past (new CFO was equally frustrated with the history in this area and has cleaned up the financials which allow them to better control headcount). The company has been through significant transformation and is a much different place than it was a few years ago. "They" don't overwork anyone and "they" don't underpay (well, ok, they don't anymore- they fixed that too). Most of the drama queens have left also (no time for that in this new environment). I would give it a shot and see what you think of the interview team. Ask them the tough questions and see what they have to say. I think your job is what you make of it. It is one's own choice to always be a victim. The eDell initiative is huge and will be a priority moving forward as they beef up their presence online.
Yeah I'm sure they did have to improve working conditions there. They had such a horrid reputation that no decent employees were willing to relocate to work at Dell.
They were stuck with D-league employees and no doubt are trying to revamp their image out of pure self-interest. I'm curious though why do you care so much to carry the torch for Dell? Are you an employee there or is this just your hobby?

Old 04-01-2010, 05:03 AM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,272 times
I'm just giving an accurate reflection of the company today, which I happen to know a thing or two about. If you are going to be anywhere, eDell is where it is at (significant investment, access to resources, top-down support, opportunity to make an impact in a highly visible space). If I didn't have anything good to say then I wouldn't say anything at all.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:08 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I'm with orbius and smooth here. Our experiences with Dell and friends of mine who work for them (or worked for them) were not so great. They do not give notice before laying someone off (or didn't in the past) and would tell the people the same day that they were fired. When they closed their manufacturing center, it was also done quickly. I don't know how edell would be, but I'm going to imagine it's not too much better...just my opinion though.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:12 AM

729 posts, read 2,067,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Dell is a huge company and your experience is with a call center. The poster asked about eDell which is a specific group in IT and the business which is changing the way dell online works. The group has a number of very interesting initiatives and has the attention of senior dell execs all the way to the CEO. Dell is a pressure cooker and the competition is fierce. However I havent found the politics to be bad at all. Most of the workers are committed to doing good work and there are a lot of opportunities to learn and grow. There are very few B to C companies in austin so Dell is a good place to get that kind of high volume technical experience.
I did not work in the call center but did development on their call routing. Dell's culture may have changed by now but my experience was not very pleasent. Not very many local companies like to hire ex-Dell employees as I found out dealing with staffing firm recruiters and HR recruiters in 2009. One guy flat out told me that some Govt. Agencies make it known to their headhunters to auto-black list ex-Dellers.

Working at Dell has hurt my career in the line of work that I do.

Good luck to the OP. Let us know how your experience goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin