Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:36 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times

Advertisements

Re: dogs barking

We try to be mindful and considerate of our neighbors with our animals. We bring them in when they start to bark non-stop. (that isn't to say we don't allow them to bark so please don't jump to conclusions).

We have a nuisance and noise ordinance here. I don't know where you live JayBrown but you might want to check and see what the law is there. (especially since all of you have kindly asked or let the neighbor know what is going on and they simply tell you "get over it").

Yes, they have a "right" to animals, you have a "right" inside your home to peace. It's constitutional.

Relating to the allergies too. Even the pets have them here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 12:42 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Re: dogs barking

We try to be mindful and considerate of our neighbors with our animals. We bring them in when they start to bark non-stop. (that isn't to say we don't allow them to bark so please don't jump to conclusions).

We have a nuisance and noise ordinance here. I don't know where you live JayBrown but you might want to check and see what the law is there. (especially since all of you have kindly asked or let the neighbor know what is going on and they simply tell you "get over it").

Yes, they have a "right" to animals, you have a "right" inside your home to peace. It's constitutional.
Thanks for the advice. I did exaggerate a little bit. If it was 24/7 then obviously someone would have burned the neighbors house down.

It does get pretty bad though. Several neighbors have called the cops. One week in summer I saw the cop at the neighbors house 4 different times. They could have been there about something else though.

Basically it goes like this, you call animal control. After about 20 calls animal control will go investigate. As long as the dogs have food and water, animal control says they can do nothing. It's a noise violation, so call the police. If you call the police, they will come out. If the neighbor is home they will ask the neighbor to bring the dogs in. If the neighbor is not home (she usually isn't) then the cops can do nothing, except advise you to call animal control. Even if the neighbor brings the dogs in, she let's them out about 40 minutes later. They have a doggie door so they can get out whenever they want.

Basically I just let it go. I will put up with it for an hour or so, then just close my windows. I am not the type of person that can harm a poor defenseless animal just because it's owner is inconsiderate. And I am not going to get in a screaming match with another adult who clearly doesn't care. I have offered to walk her dogs for her so they can get some kind of human interaction. I have offered to let the dogs come to my yard so they can play with my animals, but so far I have been rebuffed.

One Day I will move to the country and get several acres of land and then I will only hear crickets and the occasional coyote.

Old 04-02-2010, 12:47 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,999,707 times
If you really wanted to pursue it start "barking" up the trees at the police station and/or animal control. You could write letters, cc them to everyone and anyone you feel will support or listen to you. Follow the chain until someone takes you seriously.

Go up the chain. You will see results sooner or later. However, if you think it isn't worth it then I guess you close the windows.

I try to choose my battles wisely these days and I would like to think my warrior days are over but one never knows...

OP: Yes, I love fresh air.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:25 PM

1,157 posts, read 2,652,029 times
I love fresh air, but the problem is that I don't like pollen so I hardly ever open my windows. Maybe if I lived in California or something.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:30 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,903 times
One word: Pollen

Old 04-02-2010, 02:34 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
Quote:
I would love to be able to leave our windows open, unfortunately an allergy to mold makes that a bad idea. There is something in the air right not that is making me extremely congested, possibly all the tree pollen.
^This.

At least, for my wife. Changes in weather are the worst for her allergies. When we do open the windows, it is the back windows and upstairs, just so any street noise is less and if we forget them they are not entirely visible .

Old 04-02-2010, 02:37 PM

5,866 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I did exaggerate a little bit. If it was 24/7 then obviously someone would have burned the neighbors house down.

It does get pretty bad though. Several neighbors have called the cops. One week in summer I saw the cop at the neighbors house 4 different times. They could have been there about something else though.

Basically it goes like this, you call animal control. After about 20 calls animal control will go investigate. As long as the dogs have food and water, animal control says they can do nothing. It's a noise violation, so call the police. If you call the police, they will come out. If the neighbor is home they will ask the neighbor to bring the dogs in. If the neighbor is not home (she usually isn't) then the cops can do nothing, except advise you to call animal control. Even if the neighbor brings the dogs in, she let's them out about 40 minutes later. They have a doggie door so they can get out whenever they want.

Basically I just let it go. I will put up with it for an hour or so, then just close my windows. I am not the type of person that can harm a poor defenseless animal just because it's owner is inconsiderate. And I am not going to get in a screaming match with another adult who clearly doesn't care. I have offered to walk her dogs for her so they can get some kind of human interaction. I have offered to let the dogs come to my yard so they can play with my animals, but so far I have been rebuffed.

One Day I will move to the country and get several acres of land and then I will only hear crickets and the occasional coyote.
I feel your pain. I have several neighbors with loud barking dogs. We can't sleep with the windows open because invariably, we get woken up by barking dogs. Add to that the houses on the other side have screaming kids during the day. I raised 2 boys and I know kids can get loud, but these kids are non stop obnoxious. The other day, the kids were on the other side of the fence teasing the dogs and it got really bad. I had an evil thought about calling CPS to report child abuse just to get their attention but I could never really do it.

I'm looking forward to that quiet house in the country too.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:47 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
We leave ours open from as soon as it turns spring-like until late June/early July when we turn the window units on. But our house was built in the early 1900's, pre-air conditioning, and is designed for exactly that - open windows and good air flow. Some houses built after the advent of air-conditioning, while they have windows that will open, don't have the air flow set up well enough to take full advantage of it.
That is something that is severely lacking in a lot of the newer homes; I totally agree.

We built a house in 2001 and with the way the windows were (which ones opened, which ones didn't, etc.) there was absolutely NO WAY to get a cross breeze in the house. It drove me MAD and it was something I would never have even thought about (and obviously didn't when choosing the home) if it hadn't happened.

Fresh air rocks!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:49 PM

23 posts, read 89,669 times
When the pollen counts are sky high... no. Particulate matter is particulate matter. It's hard on your lungs whether you're allergic to it or not. The air right now ain't so fresh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin