Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:01 AM

979 posts, read 2,955,508 times

Advertisements

If you aren't a chain hater, the breakfast at Mimi's is decent and not tex-mex. I also like Original Pancake House. Moonshine buffet on Sunday's is nice for an all-you-can eat option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 01:59 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
I love the apple pancake at Pancake House lol I like going to Frisco for breakfast once and a while and Jim's has pretty good breakfast

Jim’s Restaurants and Coffee Shops, 24-hour family-style dining in San Antonio and Austin

The Frisco Nighthawk - Austin, Texas

Old 04-09-2010, 07:06 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,970,740 times
Forget Magnolia, Kerbey Lane, or The Omlettry. I would go to waffle house before I hit up those three. The Original Pakcake House on Parmer or Hoovers on weekends are the ONLY two places to get breakfast in Austin.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:07 AM

543 posts, read 1,741,147 times
We have noticed a deterioration in the level of service at the Frisco Shop since it's move to the new location. Last week after waiting an unreasonably long time for a waitress at Frisco, we got up and left. We drove up Burnet and then 183 looking for somewhere else open at that hour and spotted Jim's which we had driven past for years but never actually tried before. Nothing fancy but just very hearty traditional breakfasts which are served all day. I doubt we will ever go back to Frisco now that we have tried Jim's for the same type of breakfast items. I will miss the "eggs decorated" of course but not the slow service.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Well, building a deck without a building permit across an alley blocking access for neighbors to their own property and refusing to negotiate, does not make one a good neighbor.

Folks in the neighborhood just wanted them to follow the rules and for the city to enforce them! It is tied up in court right now. But there are many many people who could walk to restaurant everyday who won't set foot in it. It is a tourist place.

That site was a restaurant before SCC showed up, there are plenty of restaurants on that part of S. Congress, I don't think NIMBY had anything to do with it. It was the way that the owners dealt with the neighborhoods that created the bad feelings.

I wasn't directly involved in the dust-up but it was bitter, I'm sure that the food is good but they won't get my business.
It is no more "a tourist place" then any of the other Trudy's Texas Star restaurants. Or Guero's for instance only one block North.

There is a lot more to it then you know. In fact many of your statements are not factually correct.

The deck does not block the alley or a sidewalk. If anything it may encroach a matter of inches into the street yard where a sidewalk would go, but there never has been a sidewalk there, and there is still lots of room to install one. See the photo below.

I think this dispute deserves a thread of its own so I'm starting one here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...l#post13666916

Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaxmor View Post
Galaxy Cafe is great. I love mexican breakfast, so I'm gonna stick with Juan in a Million and Amaya's. Amaya's has awesome migas. Aranda's for their breakfast taco's and salsa.
I like Trudy's for their food, but their service is always terrible.
I just had a Don Juan taco from Juan in a Million. Filled me up for $4 and was pretty tasty. They give you American Cheese if you don't specify but you can request a real cheese, e.g. Monterrey Jack, if you like. They also have good coffee (Cain's) and of course the best greeter of any Austin restaurant in the form of Juan himself.

If you want old school no nonsense breakfast try Arkie's on E. Cesar Chavez. That's were the local fire dept. goes for breakfast.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,210 times
While we're talking east Austin, how about Cisco's?

Old 04-09-2010, 07:33 PM

I've never tried Cisco's but have been wanting to

Old 05-09-2010, 10:42 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,023 times
Moonshine and Chez Zee

Old 05-09-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Forget Magnolia, Kerbey Lane, or The Omlettry. I would go to waffle house before I hit up those three. The Original Pakcake House on Parmer or Hoovers on weekends are the ONLY two places to get breakfast in Austin.

I've been wanting to try the Omlettry just because every time I go by there they looked packed with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin