Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 06:15 PM

277 posts, read 1,295,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
re: comparisons

This is a controversial topic politically because every sociological study demonstrates that people evaluate themselves in comparison to others. The ultimate conclusion is obvious: inequality is the root of a majority of social problems.
This is true, and that is a whole other topic. I'm mostly concerned with the psychological effect on ME, because I always compare "up" I don't bother comparing down. Why the hell would I do that?! It might make me feel good LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 07:29 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,871,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
This is true, and that is a whole other topic. I'm mostly concerned with the psychological effect on ME, because I always compare "up" I don't bother comparing down. Why the hell would I do that?! It might make me feel good LOL
I'm not sure about that. Sometimes, less is more. I'm not saying that to be a smart-*ss. I think that we often assign an inflated value to things that are simply fleeting. I know it sounds cliche, but the important things in life are family, friends, health and meaningful work. Having a lot of material wealth is not always necessary to achieve happiness. It certainly helps, but I know many people who don't make squat, and are very contented individuals.

To tie this back into the original subject, that's why I don't need the most perfectly rated beach to be inspired. Anytime I stand at the edge of a continent, I feel overwhelmed with a profound sense of wonder that oceans really do exist, and I am but a spoke in the great wheel of life

Every day is a miracle!

To quote a great songwriter:

"life's a long song, but the tune ends too soon for us all"

Old 07-26-2007, 07:48 PM

106 posts, read 474,575 times
Having grown up on Atlantic Ocean beaches (DE, NJ, RI, MA, ME), I was fully prepared to be heartily disappointed in Texas beaches.

Maybe that's one of the secrets of life... expect little and you'll usually be at least pleasantly surprised.

When I attended SandFest '07 I was shocked at how nice the beaches were... water as far as the eye could see, real surf (not Hawaii-like surf, and not Cape Cod like surf, but surf all the same), clean beaches and expanses of great, soft sand.

As far as I can tell, the only thing Port Aransas is missing is a funky ol' (yes, tacky) Boardwalk.

Here're some pics from SandFest '07 that shows (in itty-bitty glimpses) the beach side of Mustang Island. Kidlet & I are going back in October and again next April.

TX Griff
Attached Thumbnails
beaches and Austin-1pcduo-dooralwaysopen-.jpg   beaches and Austin-1pduo-7thdayherested-.jpg   beaches and Austin-elements-.jpg   beaches and Austin-rosepetals.jpg  

Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 PM

701 posts, read 2,473,476 times
Oooooh! Great photos! I'll have to look up this event.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:30 PM

106 posts, read 474,575 times
I mentioned it earlier , but here ya' go: Texas SandFest

TX Griff

Old 07-27-2007, 10:01 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,758,323 times
Twange: That last post of yours was beautiful, what a great philosophy to live by! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-Griff View Post
As far as I can tell, the only thing Port Aransas is missing is a funky ol' (yes, tacky) Boardwalk.
I never grew up around a boardwalk, but regardless of their merits it would be foolish to build one along the Gulf coast because the odds are about one in ten in any given year that it would be destroyed by a storm. Our coast is long overdue for a major hurricane.

Speaking of which, it's interesting that the hurricane forecasters are having so much trouble the past couple years with their predictions. I know the season is young and we're 6 weeks away from its peak, but this was supposed to be an unusually active season and so far it has been very calm. Just lots of tropical rains soaking Texas every day, and blistering sun baking the SW and SE. People at the Climate Prediction Center must be going out of their minds trying to update their computer models to cope with the changes that are happening in global weather patterns, all the forecasts have been wrong to a degree that I haven't seen in 30 years!

Old 05-13-2008, 02:04 PM

44 posts, read 134,321 times
Default South Padre

South Padre Island hosts Sandcastle Days in October--the weather is great--check it out!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:35 PM

669 posts, read 1,606,795 times
Default better off...

Flying to 2.5 hours to florida or CA to see either cleaner or beaches and bays w/ more things to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin