Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 12:05 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

lol sounds like your feelings got hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
That look hasn't changed since the 60's and 70's. For those guys its not a trend but a permanent and viable subculture, like hip hop, country, blues, etc.

The hipster trend is not only douchy but will be laughed at in 2-3 years by the same folks who themselves are now hipsters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 12:11 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,898,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
That look hasn't changed since the 70's. For those guys its a lifestyle.

The hipster trend is not only douchy but will be laughed in 2-3 years by the same folks who themselves are now hipsters.
I don't know about that. Iron Maiden certainly don't dress that way anymore. More of a tee-shirt jeans look - the original hard rock/lifestyle look. And spandex were laughed at during the 80s by the "old schoolers" from the Black Sabbath/Led Zeppelin era. They were just derivative of tight jeans. But they were/are ridiculous. I wore them myself quite a bit when I first got into playing in metal bands and I cringe when I see those pics

I think most really trendy clothing looks ridiculous 3-5 years after they were popular. It's just the way fashion is. And even the great metal giants of the early 80s were "victims of fashion".

Anyway, awesome bingo pic. I stole that and put it on my facebook

Old 04-16-2010, 12:33 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Has anyone else noticed that cowboy boots seem to be a growing trend in the Austin hipster scene? Every time I go to Austin, it seems like more and more hipsters are wearing boots.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:48 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Has anyone else noticed that cowboy boots seem to be a growing trend in the Austin hipster scene? Every time I go to Austin, it seems like more and more hipsters are wearing boots.
Since "SoCo" is popular with the hip crowd, I wonder if they're all getting them at Allen's Boots?

Speaking of South Congress, I don't like that area anymore. It was fun for a while, but now it's a yuppie/hipster scene that reminds me of a mini-Los Angeles (with some stores, such as Factory People, boasting LA-level prices). It seems like nowadays, the area of Burnet Road between 45th St and 2222 is the less pretentious, more affordable version of South Congress.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:15 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,898,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Possibly. I still like them.

Gets me to thinking, does all of this discussion about hipster-wear prevent any of you from wearing anything that is perceived to be "hip". I sure hope not. If you like something, wear it. Who gives a f*ck what anyone else thinks? Wearing something that's trendy is not pretentious if YOU LIKE IT.

That's confident adult 101.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post

Gets me to thinking, does all of this discussion about hipster-wear prevent any of you from wearing anything that is perceived to be "hip". I sure hope not. If you like something, wear it. Who gives a f*ck what anyone else thinks? Wearing something that's trendy is not pretentious if YOU LIKE IT.

If I wanted to dress like someone from the 1920's, I'd do it for Halloween, not on a normal day of the week.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:39 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:

I completely agree and no, the latest hipster attire doesn't phase me at all in my chose of clothing or taste in general.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:40 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times
Quote:

Twange, you've inspired me. I'm digging in my closet for my Z-Cavarricci's right now.

This begets the question: what is the most uncool look right now? Late 80's - early 90's? Would glittery "Hammerpants" would take the crown?

Old 04-16-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Twange, you've inspired me. I'm digging in my closet for my Z-Cavarricci's right now.

This begets the question: what is the most uncool look right now? Late 80's - early 90's? Would glittery "Hammerpants" would take the crown?
Anything Vanilla Ice wore in the early 90's is probably the most uncool fashion you could wear right now. That or a muumuu.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:07 PM

380 posts, read 642,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post

Hands down:

On a side note, its funny how this thread unintentionally outs the hipsters in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin