Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 03:20 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times

Advertisements

It is crawfish boiling season and Im wondering where to get the best crawfish south or central.

We normally would go to sambets (north) but our friends are coming from far down south and we want to spare them the drive. Boiling pot is our last resort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 04:33 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
HEB has been having some - call the ones closet to you. Also the Randalls ad had them for $2.47/ lb for a sack or $2.99 a pound for less. Fiesta at Stassney sometimes has them too. The problems with Randalls and Fiesta is they don't keep them refrigerated and you get a lot of dead ones. HEB does a better job of keeping them on ice.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:57 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Check out the Boiling Pot on 6th Street, or even better, Quality Seafood on Airport.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:56 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Shoal Creek on N Lamar and 10th-ish.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:19 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
If you are in central Austin, go to Central Market.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:21 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
If you're talking about going out to eat them, I'd say Shoal Creek Saloon. If you're talking about fixing them yourself, Quality Seafood.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
If you're talking about going out to eat them, I'd say Shoal Creek Saloon. If you're talking about fixing them yourself, Quality Seafood.
When I first read this I thought he was looking for crawfish to boil - but after re-reading it does look like he was looking for a place to go eat them.

Tell me about the crawfish at Shoal Creek Saloon THL - why do you recommend them? I'm dying for a big plate of them, the measly ones I got at the Swamp Thing didn't satisfy my craving!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:45 AM

57 posts, read 150,773 times
I would go to Quality Seafood and buy them live and have a Crawfish boil at home. Its cheap easy and fun for the whole family. All you need is: a big pot, plenty of mudbugs, corn on the cob, potatoes, dirty rice and some beers or huricaines to wash it down with. The kids can have crawfish/mudbug races while your preparing dinner. If you prefer to go out Evangeline on Brodie Lane has crawfish when they are in season. You can even buy a King Cake for desert they are available at HEB during Mardis Gras. However you can order one any time of the year.

Heres another tip; when the platter is delivered you can tell if they were live/fresh when they hit the water if their tails are curled up. If the tail is straight it means they were dead when they hit the pot. Being married to a Cajun boy has its advantages, knowing good Cajun cooking is one of them.
Laissez le Bon temps roule!!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:47 AM

57 posts, read 150,773 times
I almost forgot! When you buy live ones, make sure to pack them in plenty of ice. This puts them into hibernation mode so they are not crawling around looking for a pond to jump into!

Old 04-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betina Foreman View Post
I would go to Quality Seafood and buy them live and have a Crawfish boil at home. Its cheap easy and fun for the whole family. All you need is: a big pot, plenty of mudbugs, corn on the cob, potatoes, dirty rice and some beers or huricaines to wash it down with. The kids can have crawfish/mudbug races while your preparing dinner. If you prefer to go out Evangeline on Brodie Lane has crawfish when they are in season. You can even buy a King Cake for desert they are available at HEB during Mardis Gras. However you can order one any time of the year.

Heres another tip; when the platter is delivered you can tell if they were live/fresh when they hit the water if their tails are curled up. If the tail is straight it means they were dead when they hit the pot. Being married to a Cajun boy has its advantages, knowing good Cajun cooking is one of them.
Laissez le Bon temps roule!!
We've done a lot of at-home boils. DH is full blooded Cajun. Unfortunately, QS is selling live crawfish for $3.99 / lb this year and that means a sack cost somewhere around $150. I'd rather go somewhere and have them served to me for $5-6 a pound and not have to deal with the heads and the mess. Our garbage pick up is on Friday so that means the heads stay around for a week if we do a weekend boil. That's nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: