Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 12:18 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,433,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Hi all,

My wife and I are planning to move to Austin from New England with our 6 month old baby. Using round figures, I make around $100K, she makes around $40K. The plan is she will stop working, and take care of the baby full time (no more child care at $200/week). I am lawyer with my own transportable biz (I have a Federal Practice, no necessity for a Texas Bar License, but I plan on getting it). I am originally from TX (born, raised, up through Law School), with many more contacts down in TX than here in NEW ENGLAND. One of the new expenses will be health care insurance, which her job currently pays, but we will have to pay for if she stops working. Based on the cost of living in Austin, vs expensive NE, I believe we can do it without sufferering too much loss of quality of life due to going to 1 income. Any other opinions? We are looking at SW austin. Thanks in advance.
What price of house are you looking for. You should be fine. If you keep your home price in the 300s. If you are looking at 400K-500K that extra income might help. That being said, 100K is totally doable in Circle C or Meridian, etc. SW Austin is wonderful. There are plenty of SAHM's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 01:02 PM

380 posts, read 642,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesq View Post
Hi all,

My wife and I are planning to move to Austin from New England with our 6 month old baby. Using round figures, I make around $100K, she makes around $40K. The plan is she will stop working, and take care of the baby full time (no more child care at $200/week). I am lawyer with my own transportable biz (I have a Federal Practice, no necessity for a Texas Bar License, but I plan on getting it). I am originally from TX (born, raised, up through Law School), with many more contacts down in TX than here in NEW ENGLAND. One of the new expenses will be health care insurance, which her job currently pays, but we will have to pay for if she stops working. Based on the cost of living in Austin, vs expensive NE, I believe we can do it without sufferering too much loss of quality of life due to going to 1 income. Any other opinions? We are looking at SW austin. Thanks in advance.
Welcome home.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:30 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,586 times
Thanks all. Anymore comments from those who went from a 2 income household to 1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Welcome home.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:47 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,318 times
Since it sounds like you're going to be making so many changes all at once, I would strongly suggest renting a nice apartment for the first 6 months or so before buying a place. Not only will it be cheaper, but you'll also be able to enjoy your new area without all the extra homeowner headaches right away. You won't have to worry about yard work, painting, furnishing a house, etc. You'll have a nice maintained pool in the complex as well.

I'm very happy that we rented for 6 months when we first moved here because it really gave us a chance to find the right neighborhood for us. I guarantee that we would have purchased a home in a neighborhood where we wouldn't have been happy had we not had that 6 months of time to study the area on our own. It's funny how our perspectives quickly changed on different neighborhoods after really visiting them for a couple months.

You should be fine with the income level that you stated while purchasing a home in the low $200K range as long as you don't have a bunch of other outstanding debt in my opinion.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:56 PM

20 posts, read 58,421 times
Hey There!

I see that you and your family are moving from New England to Austin. Just curious where you are in NE?? I currently live in Fairfield County, CT and will be moving to Austin in the fall!!

Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 AM

1,000 posts, read 1,805,586 times
any other stories from people who have gone from 2 incomes to 1? Would love to hear them, success or non-success. The more data points, the better, Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin