Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2007, 08:58 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,768,663 times

Advertisements

I agree with Austin-Steve and Twange --- No two places are the same, that's absurd. Anyone who is incapable of seeing the differences between cities is not qualified to opine on the subject. That's like saying "all humans are the same" based on our crude similarities.

You have to get to know a place or a person, both are very complex. Cities cannot be reduced to simplistic statements about the quality of certain restaurants and the intensity of traffic any more than people can be accurately described by the color of their skin and the political party they belong to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 10:51 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHarvester View Post
I agree with Austin-Steve and Twange --- No two places are the same, that's absurd. Anyone who is incapable of seeing the differences between cities is not qualified to opine on the subject. That's like saying "all humans are the same" based on our crude similarities.

You have to get to know a place or a person, both are very complex. Cities cannot be reduced to simplistic statements about the quality of certain restaurants and the intensity of traffic any more than people can be accurately described by the color of their skin and the political party they belong to.
But at a quick view I can see the posters point. I travel all the time. I seehe same chain restaurants everywhere. I see bad traffic almost everywhere. I see those same sign about Builders everwhere (in LA I laugh when I see thats sign (from the low 1,000,000s). Everyone says they have the best mexican restaurants (sorry texas but every state serves up our south of the border cuisine). The Cookie cutter developement have uglied up nearly every town.

The Difference that I see:

Austin: More friendly, Good job out look, State flag, like most of texas is every place. I was just up in my state of Washington, and I swear I could not find our flag. I had to look it up on the internet. So to me I don't really get it, but Im not saying I think its a bad thing. Texas Stars everywhere. From what I understand, you have a better chance of selling your house if you have that star on your house somewhere. These are the good: About the only bad I can find with Austin thats not like every other place is the muggy air. I am not sure if I can every get used to wet air.

What I want to know from you folks...probably should ask Love roses or Austin Steve, is what time I should come back for a visit: I left already but have friends here. Im talking weather wise. Does the muggy weather ever go away? Is there a good asian restaurant in all of Austin? Why is that star everwhere?

Old 08-08-2007, 11:30 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
If I could give austin-steve more rep, I would. Excellent post!

I have never lived in a place like "the Austin Metropolitan area" (don't want to upset a few here). It's absolutely unique, while yes, still having the same big box stores you have in many other place, but hundreds upon hundreds of stores, restaurants, locations, scenary, people that you wouldn't find any other place but here.

Quote:
1) Vibe.
Austin has a vibe that is hard to describe or quantify. Different people will "feel the vibe" to different degrees, some perhaps not at all, but it's there and it's real. I feel it.

2) Things to do.
Even if you live in Pflugerville, Manor, Leander, Buda, etc. - outside Austin in the "bland looking suburbs", you're within a 30 to 40 minute drive to a wide selection of events, activities and special unique places and things to do. Should you care to go out and avail yourself of such places and amenities, life in Austin will be much different than similar looking places you came from that don't have what we have.

I could think of a few more but you get the picture. The quality of life a city offers cannot be measured or judged by the appearance of its suburban strip centers.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:20 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
If you don't want muggy weather, I'd visit during the winter months. I was going to say October may be good as well. This has varied for me year to year though. The star is everywhere, because it represents Texas, and it's on our flag. It's a "Texas Pride" thing. Plus, where I'm at, you not only get the star, but you also have the hippos as well. So you always get double whammied by it. As far as visiting in the winter months, there are lots of little festivals all around for Christmas (or holiday) depending on your preference. Lots of Halloween things as well. It's never boring around here.

Old 08-08-2007, 03:49 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,390 times
Default Hippoes in Texas?

Huh? What hippos? I know I couldn't have missed them on the flag, since the TX flag can be seen from every possible vantage point in the state.

By the way, the single (lone) star represents the fact that Texas was once it's own sovereign nation - The Republic of Texas. Texans are very proud of this.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:39 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Huh? What hippos? I know I couldn't have missed them on the flag, since the TX flag can be seen from every possible vantage point in the state.

By the way, the single (lone) star represents the fact that Texas was once it's own sovereign nation - The Republic of Texas. Texans are very proud of this.
I don't see hippos even after Ive had too much to drink.....what hippos. DId the old flag have hippos.

Yeah...you cant miss the Tx Flag, sometimes I see it bigger than the USA flag.

I did not know it was its own country. I suppose I could just as well google the history.

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:17 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,368,809 times
A neat story about Texas....I was visiting London, England back in 2000. I was on one of those double decker bus tours and we pass this building that is flying the Texas state flag! The tour operator said that when Texas was it's own nation, The Republic of Texas, this building was designated as the Texas embassy! The Texas state flag still is waving proudly overseas at it's once established embassy.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:19 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,059,550 times
Texas is the only state that is allowed to fly it's flag at the same level as the American flag...

Re: The hippos.. The high school mascot for Hutto is the Hippo - and they are all over Hutto. Every store has a Hutto Hippo statue, decorated to fit in with the store.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:25 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
Sorry, Rose speak to English dictionary needed here. I live in Hutto. Hippos are the high school mascot. Big deal out here. Lots of homes have them in the front yard, as well as local businesses. Some homes here also have Texas stars somewhere on them. Hence, the double dose of Texas stars and Hippos. Many, Many, Many, Many years ago a circus came to town and the Hippo escaped and went into brushy creek. It took a long time to remove it, but it endeared itself to the town anyhow, and they made it the town mascot.

Old 08-09-2007, 05:11 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,425 times
Ok Austin is really full of itself. What a massive ego. They said the same things about LA about fifty years ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin