Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 11:15 AM

746 posts, read 3,727,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Do you mean to say that it's "really sad" that the government could not confiscate and/or dictate to the property owner that she was not allowed to sell her land to a developer?

What would you have her do with it? Did you make an offer to buy and preserve it? If not, why not?

Steve
Steve, you asked me for three comprehensive ideas....and I gave them to you........
Lets see if you can do the same.......
What would be three things YOU would do to change Austin's metro for the better, and more expeditiously guide growth?
And in great detail, please..
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
This just sounds silly.... I suppose, then, we would also have to prohibit any Austin businesses from establishing any business outside the city limits? They might be come national chains and then we would have to kick them out. I would think the consumer should make this choice. I have issues with some of the box stores, and make my shopping decisions accordingly. I suppose I am not bright enough to do this correctly, though, and need the government decide for me...

Firstly, I will miss the Pecan Grove RV Park, it is a really nice de facto 'park' area. But, again, I like the thought of someone investing in land and then deciding to sell it for a profit. I dislike people being FORCED to sell their land, but that does not appear to be the case here. As I recall, most of the people who originally live in the RV park were (gasp!) out of area. 30 years from now, the condos will be lived in by a bunch of locals, too.
And Trainwreck, how about yourself?
Can you give us three things you would change per Austin's growth,
and ways of going about the same, in detail?
Rather than using talking points solely from MY points, we might actually have a comprehensive discussion about growth, which would be a very good thing. lets pretend we are at a large table in a diner, say, the Magnolia Cafe, and actually chatting about this....
What is TRAINWRECKS comprehensive Austin plan?

Per those points, it is true that metros have total control over what can be built per retail..they can force union recognition, which is why there
was no Wal-Mart in Chicago until they conceded the same, as well as a living wage clause, so not to create a new, low-wage base in the city.

Per the old Trailer Court, this is an issue of affordable housing in the central city. Replacing a quaint complex will be a high-end condo development.
Indeed, the owner willingly agreed, but this is the trend, and the city will not be the same when the rest of the older areas and businesses get priced out of the neighborhood......will Shady Grove and Chuy's be next....I can just hear the screaming already when they decide that that land is much more
beneficial as condo high-rise space.....that whole riverside strip will be high-rise condos from congress east to Zilker.........

and what price on that old atmosphere? Do you think the new upscale places catering to the new residents will have the same feel?
Somehow I doubt it..

hey, lets face it....old austin is dying as we speak!

Last edited by scongress1234; 06-10-2008 at 11:29 AM..

Old 06-10-2008, 11:23 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Actually, that would make a very good topic, maybe...but maybe not in the '10 reasons not to move to Austin' . In fact, I think some people might like to weigh in on that one if someone started that thread?

Old 06-10-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Actually, that would make a very good topic, maybe...but maybe not in the '10 reasons not to move to Austin' . In fact, I think some people might like to weigh in on that one if someone started that thread?
Cool..just started it. And you are invited to be the first with YOUR comprehensive ideas, TR

Old 06-10-2008, 11:41 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
sorry, gotta think on that before I do, and work calls for more of my attention than CD at the moment .

Old 06-10-2008, 12:04 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,208 times
"that whole riverside strip will be high-rise condos from congress east to Zilker........."

Sounds great to me...Would be a beautiful place to live.

"hey, lets face it....old austin is dying as we speak!"

Times change, man. Communities grow, mature, and change. Get used to it. Before you were born I am sure there were old folks on in their rocking chairs lamenting that "old austin is dying as we speak". Its all relative...a town cannot stay forever in the nostalgic picture you have it in your memory.

Moderator cut: OT/personal

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 06-10-2008 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
sorry, gotta think on that before I do, and work calls for more of my attention than CD at the moment .

Cool.....I do look forward to it.......

Old 06-10-2008, 09:35 PM

46 posts, read 138,539 times
Default A couple of suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
1. Bad traffic, and a car is absolutely crucial here
2. Becoming homogenized (anywhere USA)
3. Hellishly hot in the summer
4. Not very diverse-- not a lot of quality ethnic food
5. In Texas (Ignorance, backwardsness, crazy christian-fascists who want to control others' lives)
6. Unattractive sprawl: Walmarts, highway access road developments, cookie cutter subdivisions
7. Not as pretty as locals think it is, relative to the rest of the US.
8. Far from the ocean, mountains, other worthwhile cities
9. Almost no real walkable neighborhoods, and the few neighborhoods worth anything are becoming prohibitively expensive for most people
10. Cops are out of control (probably not a concern if you are white/middle class though)
4. Sounds like a good reason to open ethnic restaurants.
9. I just read an article that said Austin was America's #1 walkable city?!?!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:44 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,125,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scongress1234 View Post
Cool.....I do look forward to it.......
The key is to attract high valued employees (creative class) which will then attract employers. Many cities are giving cash to get companies to come, this is equivalent to the walmart strategy of being the low cost provider. It is much better to invest and create value to make the city a great place to live. Then you dont have to compete on price.

1) More nature trails, parks and hill country preserves
2) Dont let growing cities (leander, cedar park, RR) drain lake travis
3) Increase density downtown by not adding more roads to the suburbs
4) Promote live music, art and film festivals and continue to fost the austin identity as a laid back outdoors and arts city
5) Use zoning to keep character in various neighborhoods. You can still get your mcmansion, just not in 78701-4.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:01 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I wouldn't do #3. You would be choking off the smaller towns' ability to bring in business so that it could be self sustaining without relying on Austin to be the sole source of employment. Some of what people call the "suburbs" out here are towns just about as old as Austin is and like to try and maintain their singular identities as well.

I don't know about #2. I don't know about RR, but Hutto doesn't use Travis water. I understand the point 100%, but then you have to have water piped into those communities from elsewhere.

I would definitely include all those others on my own list, but I guess I better get to thinking about mine so I don't end up just critiquing everyone else's lists
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin