Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 05:09 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,871,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Yep, that's where we live, and we can walk just about to anything. There are great burger places (WALLY's!), fine dining (Mirabelle's), Mexican (El Chile, El Arroyo), Asian (Chinatown), sandwiches (Subway, Kneaded Pleasures), Coffee (Starbucks..2!!), Pizza (I forget...the one with the dinosaur and Mr. Gattis, I make my own!), anyway...you walk or bike anywhere! NW Hills shout out!
Yeah, I loved it too. I may move back someday (renting out the house there just in case). Don't forget Mesa Ranch, Triumph Cafe, the Kitchen Door, Mushashino (best sushi in town) and the pizza place with the dinosaur is Mangia Pizza... lots of good local stuff in NW Hills!

BTW, a little off topic, but have you noticed that they are finally fixing up that condemned-looking house on North Hills drive? The one that looked like it hadn't housed anyone since the 60's. Had one of those gravel roofs you don't see anymore. I always wondered what the story was with that house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 07:00 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,311,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Yeah, I loved it too. I may move back someday (renting out the house there just in case). Don't forget Mesa Ranch, Triumph Cafe, the Kitchen Door, Mushashino (best sushi in town) and the pizza place with the dinosaur is Mangia Pizza... lots of good local stuff in NW Hills!

BTW, a little off topic, but have you noticed that they are finally fixing up that condemned-looking house on North Hills drive? The one that looked like it hadn't housed anyone since the 60's. Had one of those gravel roofs you don't see anymore. I always wondered what the story was with that house.
Mangia...of course.
Finally the crazy house is getting fixed up... With that big tower....we thought it was owned by UFOs!

Old 07-01-2008, 04:13 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,417,066 times
I'm a NE transplant too. Here are some cons to living in Austin (most have been mentioned already)

1. It's landlocked. You can't just take a day trip to the beach. And lakes just aren't the same.

2. Lack of diversity. Been mentioned, but worth mentioning again.

3. Pretty, but not nearly as pretty as the East and West coasts. And coming from the NW, you'll immediately notice how small the trees are.

4. Hot. I didn't realize how much I would miss having seasons. And as a pp mentioned, wearing shorts on Christmas is just not right.

5. Flat. Yes, there is the Hill Country, but compared to the NW or NE, they are pretty small.

6. And I will say it again, it's not very walkable. Yes, there are some areas outside of downtown that may have some accessability by foot, but they are not the vast, pedestrian friendly sidewalks with news stands and drink carts you may be used to. And I will have to disagree about NYC being the only walkable city - Philadelphia and Boston are very walkable as well and have loads of neighborhoods.

7. No pro sports teams. Sounds silly, but going to a NFL or NHL game is always fun.

8. Bugs. (((((shiver)))))

9. Lack of really good museums.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:09 AM

6 posts, read 12,208 times
Default Walkability....

Ok...so everyone keeps saying that Austin is walkable, so...a few questions...

1. When you walk to Starbucks, Target or the other shopping centers, how many times do you have to walk along the edge of the road because there isn't a sidewalk? (I live on the UT campus, and even here, in the "city" and I use that term loosely, there are still places with no sidewalks)

2. Are these walkable neighborhoods self sufficient? (meaning-do they contain all the basics for day to day living, including grocers, doctors, schools, shopping, entertainment, etc.?) Being able to walk to a big box store or to a Starbucks does not make a neighborhood walkable.

People who have never left the state of the Texas, or for that matter, those who have never been to the major Northeastern cities of the US, don't have a true understanding of walkability. If Austin were truly walkable, there would be no need to own a vehicle, etc.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
This kind of thing:

Anyone who has ever traveled the US knows that NYC is the only truly walkable city in this country. Everything that you need can be found within walking distance of your apt in most of the city's HUNDREDS of neighborhoods...

goes away towards explaining this kind of thing:

There also seems to be some bitterness towards outsiders...whatever happened to that so-called "southern hospitality?"...I realize that the sudden growth of Austin is causing problems, but this is progress...if you dont like it, do something to change it..don't take it out on people who move here....

If someone came into your home and started telling you how much worse it was than theirs, how they should change it to reflect their house, how whatever you were doing was not the right way to do it (I actually had someone from New York City come into my house, brought by my roommate, walk into my kitchen, be introduced to me, and tell me that I was frying chicken wrong) but you should be doing it the way they did it, maybe you'd be a bit less than hospitable, too. On the other hand, those that move here and love it may have a different experience of the city than you do.

Austin is not walkable by any means.

Gee, I didn't know that when I lived in South Austin and walked to the grocery store, to Half Price Books, to the video store, to several restaurants, to Target, to the bank, my daughter walked to school . . . . If I'd just known that Austin is not walkable by any means, I wouldn't have done that, I guess.

I don't get this post...I didn't slam Austin in any way...I was simply pointing out a fact...yet somehow Horsewoman felt the need to get defensive...
perhaps she knows how lame her city is...maybe she should get off the farm now and then

Old 07-02-2008, 10:20 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
3. Pretty, but not nearly as pretty as the East and West coasts. And coming from the NW, you'll immediately notice how small the trees are.

But, on the other hand, the NW and Northeast don't have the horizons we do (except for right on the coast). A dearly beloved friend moved to the D.C. area and lived, and traveled, up there, and loved it, but the two things she mentioned being homesick for for over 20 years were guacamole (she ate platesful of it when she'd come back to visit) and the horizons. Where we live, we can sit on our back porch and watch the sun come up if we want, and sit on our front porch and watch the sun set. Beautiful, beautiful sunrises and sunsets. When we lived in the Northwest briefly, driving up there, by the time we got through California and were in Oregon heading for Seattle, I went into overload - I felt if I came over one more rise and saw one more breathtaking view, I was going to be literally sick, just like if I sat down and ate an entire gallon or two of extraordinarily delicious Blue Bell Ice Cream. It was just too much - there was no subtlety to it. Beautiful, yes, but overdone for my taste. Each area has its own beauty, but differing kinds of beauty.

perhaps she knows how lame her city is...maybe she should get off the farm now and then

Thank you, NETransplant, for so eloquently making my point for me. I couldn't have come up with a better example of the kind of behavior I was describing if I'd tried.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:56 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
When we lived in the Northwest briefly, driving up there, by the time we got through California and were in Oregon heading for Seattle, I went into overload - I felt if I came over one more rise and saw one more breathtaking view, I was going to be literally sick, just like if I sat down and ate an entire gallon or two of extraordinarily delicious Blue Bell Ice Cream. It was just too much - there was no subtlety to it. Beautiful, yes, but overdone for my taste.
That's kinda weird. So much natural beauty that you were nauseated?
Actually I sort of envy that - I guess your vacations are inexpensive and easy to plan.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,380,737 times
It was not the beauty, but the fact that there was no respite from it. Like I said, I love, love, LOVE Blue Bell Ice Cream (pistachio almond being my current addictive favorite), but if I sat down and ate two gallons of it at once, and couldn't eat anything else in between, it would nauseate me. Same thing, only on a visual scale. Nothing against the Northwest, just that it's too overwhelming for my senses.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:27 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
I just stumbled onto this thread while "surfing" and, while I generally make a point to stay out of individual city forums, I just had to reply to this one. Personally, I don't think I would like living in Austin. BUT...that is a reason -- which native Texans will get the import and underlying message -- of why I DON'T live there!

At the same time, it IS the capital of the Great State of Texas and, in addition to the history and all....well, it is kinda like "sweet tea". It is not my favorite either, but at the same time, I won't always sit still when a disgruntled yankee get's uppity and critical about it in my own backyard...or home!. Which is what many Texas such as me own self see the state as! Our home and backyard.

So I just wanna make a few brief comments here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NETransplant View Post
My bf and I moved here a year ago to escape the cold of the northeast, without truly understanding what we were getting into....

My bf and I are going back to the NE asap, having learned that moving to a place on a whim is not a good idea...
And I personally wish you godspeed and a safe trip back!

Quote:
4. There also seems to be some bitterness towards outsiders...whatever happened to that so-called "southern hospitality?"...I realize that the sudden growth of Austin is causing problems, but this is progress...if you dont like it, do something to change it..don't take it out on people who move here....
Perhaps because Austin has filled up with so many transplants, this may be true. But I promise you, "Southern Hospitality" is alive and well in Texas. And I would bet the cotton crop, even in more urban areas like Austin. The key thing is...word to the wise is always sufficient...one just has to first comprehend that to receive it, you have to first have an attitude receptive to it.

Quote:
I don't get this post...I didn't slam Austin in any way...I was simply pointing out a fact...yet somehow Horsewoman felt the need to get defensive...
No, perhaps according to the standards of the NE, you didn't slam Austin (and I promise you, if you don't like Austin, you would definitely hate the rest of Texas...thank god for small favors, by the way)

The larger point is, at least to me, is the seeming assumption that your "facts" are actually anything more than an opinion from someone who doesn't see the difference.

Also, although I didn't quote this particular one, what do you mean by "progressive"? Can you enlighten us Texans on what standard you are using? What exactly is "progressive"? This term always amuses me a bit...

Last thing concerns "get off the farm" comment you made. I am rolling my eyes so much on THIS one that if I do it anymore, I can use them as cueballs.

Oh well, I will just end it by going back to the Southern hospitality comment you made as in you wonder where it is and why you are not the recipient of it.

The answer can be found easily.

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-02-2008 at 12:59 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 01:53 PM

I'll agree that most of you make valid points, and I guess I do come across a bit arrogant, etc. But you all have to admit that HorseLady is off her damn rocker...what the hell kind of idiot gets sick of natural beauty (oh, and the blue bell ice cream blows, btw)...this woman is whacked...

opinions on cities, etc are subjective, based on one's preference, experiences, etc. I don't like Austin for several reasons, as I am sure many people have a disdain for NYC, etc....it's all relative....but I'll hold true to the points that I have made about austin...heat is a fact, not an opinion...awful sprawl is fact, not opinion...etc, etc, etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin