Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2010, 11:00 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,522 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've heard great things about Austin and am thinking of coming down for a visit soon..was wondering if anyone can recommend any safe / fun areas to stay in? What are some popular hotels in the downtown area? Also, what are some things to definitely see / do while I'm visiting? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 08:28 AM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Will you be renting a car? I suggest so.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:17 PM

Not sure, is it a big deal if I don't rent a car? Can I stay in the heart of the city and use public transportation to explore the city?

Old 04-25-2010, 07:24 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,103,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoresident View Post
Not sure, is it a big deal if I don't rent a car? Can I stay in the heart of the city and use public transportation to explore the city?
Short answer:
NO

Longer answer: is it absolutely impossible? No, but you'll be a slave to the bus schedule and there will be interesting places where you can't go (or go in an efficient manner). You would really be confined to the downtown, University, and South Congress area. Anywhere else could cost you hours on the bus.

Compared to Chicago, parking is easily available and cheap.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:09 PM

151 posts, read 348,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoresident View Post
Hi,

I've heard great things about Austin and am thinking of coming down for a visit soon..was wondering if anyone can recommend any safe / fun areas to stay in? What are some popular hotels in the downtown area? Also, what are some things to definitely see / do while I'm visiting? Thanks!
Did the trip to Austin over Thanksgiving fall through, then?
//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...g-weekend.html

The Austin Motel (South Congress, in SoCo) is cool and funky and pretty cheap, but it's so popular that you'll have to book asap. It's just across the street from the Continental Club (an advantage!). You'll choose the particular room you're going to book; I recommend the ones overlooking the swimming pool, like Rm 141. If you prefer a b&b, I recommend 1110 Carriage House Inn, but that's closer to UT than to downtown. There's easy access to downtown from the b&b on bus #338, though. Takes about 5 minutes once you're on the bus.

Things to do:
- See the massive bat colony under the Congress Ave bridge emerge at dusk. Best viewing is at the south end of the bridge either up on the bridge facing east or down below the bridge on the east side. After the bat show is over, walk west from the Congress Ave bridge to the Pfluger pedestrian bridge along the south side of Lady Bird lake and admire the remains of the sunset and the lights of downtown Austin.
- Check out Zilker Park and Barton Springs pool (brrr!) if it's open.
- Check out Hyde Park, which includes a 110-year-old nine-hole golf course and the Elisabet Ney Museum. For more on Hyde Park, see my comments here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/9901157-post6.html

A car would allow you to get out of central Austin, but if central Austin is all you want to see, skip the car and either use CapMetro:
Capital Metro Transit - Austin, Texas
or rent a bike (try the shops mentioned here):
Austin Bike Shops | Bicycle Shops

If you do rent a car, don't rent it at the airport. See my comments here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/12808185-post6.html

Old 04-26-2010, 10:12 PM

thanks so much for the replies.. will look into it.. yes, I was thinking of going last year but that trip never happened and I forgot that I had even posted the question.. thx for reminding me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin