Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:49 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,019,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
EDIT: I just looked at the graph in the post above. I find it interesting that Austin has a larger hispanic population than San Diego, when San Diego is right on the Mexican border.
I've been to both SD and LA recently, and SD seemed a lot more anglo to me for some reason. It also seemed more exclusive and clean like a resort, while LA seemed like one giant barrio (they have a reallly bad graffiti problem). What's also odd is that SF is about 1/3 Asian. Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:52 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,291,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
SD seemed a lot more anglo to me for some reason. It also seemed more exclusive and clean like a resort, while LA seemed like one giant barrio (they have a reallly bad graffiti problem).
Agreed on both accounts. SD really has no "grit" like most cities... it doesn't even look real, like it's a movie set or something.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:37 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Agreed on both accounts. SD really has no "grit" like most cities... it doesn't even look real, like it's a movie set or something.
Man, if you think San Diego is sterile and clean-cut, spend some time in San Jose!

I do happen to agree with other posters here that southern California and Austin have some similarities - certainly way more than Austin has with any place in the Northeast.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:54 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,573,773 times
I think it just depends on what areas you end up going to in each city in California. The Westside of the LA area (Pacific Palisades, Brentwood, Malibu, etc.) doesn't have any "gritty" areas in my opinion. San Diego does have some "gritty" areas as well in South East San Diego, National City, etc. I lived right next to San Jose in Santa Clara for a couple years and there are definitely some areas near San Jose State that were not places I would want to hang out in at night. There is gang activity in parts of San Jose.

It's difficult to compare such large areas especially between states. It would be easier to compare neighborhoods or smaller areas. For example, Coronado and National City in San Diego couldn't be more different.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:14 PM

24 posts, read 55,358 times
@jread
does st. edward's give out a lot of money for financial aid?

Old 04-29-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manay View Post
@jread
does st. edward's give out a lot of money for financial aid?
Yes, quite a bit I think. You should contact a recruiter there and ask what they offer.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:53 AM

172 posts, read 410,165 times
Default Grad school

Quote:
what if they say it's the reputation of the school?
should i go to grad school?
what are other schools in texas besides rice that have a good rep. or a decent one that can get me good job offers?
oh and i meant, i wanted to work out of state, i live in texas.

In texas, you will need 150 credit hours to sit for the CPA exam (equivalent to a masters degree) so I would recommend grad school.

I have lived in NY, orange county, CA and austin and think there are some similarities with austin and southern california in that there are a lot of opportunities for outdoor shopping, dining, exercising, etc. Parts of the landscape (particularly north west) remind me of cali with the houses up on the clifts over looking the lake (ocean in CA)

Austin is a great place, more people who come here love it.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:45 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 699,577 times
Quote:
and why do people from california pick austin.
The hills and the cost of living compared to CA.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:12 PM

2,101 posts, read 4,527,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdu View Post
The hills and the cost of living compared to CA.
Not to mention that the job market is much better in Austin than it is in places like Los Angeles.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:23 PM

Most people I know who moved here from California tell me the same thing: "Austin is the closest thing there is to California outside of the state, and the cost of living is so much lower, while the quality of life is so much higher."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin