U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 PM

24 posts, read 50,638 times

Advertisements

i was really wondering becuase i've always wanted to live in a big city like LA, San Diego, NYC, etc.
so i decided to major in accounting but my GPA is not high enough to go UT, so i'm settling for St. Edward's.
but do ppl outside of texas know about st. edward's??
i doubt it, and i'm scared my degree won't be recognized by bigger firms i major cities.
^^^ if anyone can help me with this problem, i'll be very grateful. but back on TOPIC.

i hear cali is like austin in a way.
what are the similarities and differences b/n the two.
thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 02:27 PM

13,719 posts, read 28,000,652 times
I don't think Austin has much in common at all with LA.

1. Size - Austin is 1/4 the size so it has less of everything
2. Attitude - There are materialistic fake people in Austin, but LA has to be the undisputed world champion
3. Air quality - LA is the USA's worst for major metros
4. Cost of living - Austin should be way cheaper for most people

Old 04-26-2010, 02:44 PM

3,202 posts, read 5,303,158 times
i think st.edwards would luv 2 have u as a student, but i hear its 2 much $$$ for school their.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:08 PM

3,765 posts, read 8,347,518 times
I've lived in both places and I really don't think they have anything in common.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:21 PM

638 posts, read 1,114,380 times
I've lived in both cities and don't see many similarities at all.

It's really an entirely different experience in Austin.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:24 PM

24 posts, read 50,638 times
so then why do people say it's different?
and why do people from california pick austin.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:32 PM

2,627 posts, read 5,995,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manay View Post
so then why do people say it's different?
and why do people from california pick austin.
I don't think they are that different. Neither place gets extreme weather in the Winter so you don't have to deal with snow. Both are fairly populated and spread out. There are a lot of outdoor activities that can be done in both such as water sports.

There are some great places to live in California, but the nice and safe places are very expensive. You'll definitely be shocked at the cost of housing there. I think the fact that Austin weather isn't severe is why a lot of Californians move here. You can still do outdoor activities in Austin during the winter and the cost of housing is fairly reasonable for how the weather is.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 PM

39 posts, read 144,607 times
If you are just looking at the weather and landscape San Antonio would remind you (a little bit) or Los Angeles. Bourne and the suburbs of San Antonio look an awful lot like 1000 Oaks etc. Austion looks remarkably like Sacramento. Flying into ABIA and Sac International it's hard to tell which airport you are coming into BUT that is where the similarities end.
Texas has friendly polite people. I'm a native Californian - polite and friendly is RARE in California. When you are in Texas and you walk through Home Depot people make eye contact and say "good morning". When you are in the grocery store and someone walks between you and the shelf you are pondering they say "excuse me". The lady at the rental car counter will call you "Mamm". If you like the weather and landscape of California but you want to see the good in people - you need to come to Texas. But be sure to check any 'California attitude' at the border and watch your manners.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 PM

7,233 posts, read 14,378,723 times
St. Edwards does not have national reputation. Accounting at UT is world-class.

SEU will give you a good education -- they have a demanding general education requirement with lots of writing, it will knock that texting-casual style right out of you!

Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 AM

2,367 posts, read 2,547,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manay View Post
i was really wondering becuase i've always wanted to live in a big city like LA, San Diego, NYC, etc.
so i decided to major in accounting but my GPA is not high enough to go UT, so i'm settling for St. Edward's.
but do ppl outside of texas know about st. edward's??
i doubt it, and i'm scared my degree won't be recognized by bigger firms i major cities.
^^^ if anyone can help me with this problem, i'll be very grateful. but back on TOPIC.

i hear cali is like austin in a way.
what are the similarities and differences b/n the two.
thanks!
Part of the issue with your question is that LA is nothing like NYC (or other large east coast cities). First I'll echo others who say that while there may be some superficial similarities (large spread out metro area with sucky public transport), that the two cities are completely disparate in most other measures.

That said, the "feel" of LA is radically different than the feel of say NY, Chicago, or Boston. It's even quite a bit different than San Francisco. If you want the "big city", I don't know if LA is the place for you, personally to me it has a different vibe than any of those cities (and I've lived in or spent a lot of time in all of them except Boston). If you wanted to go west coast, I'd go for San Fran. It feels more like a big city (vs LA which feels more like the worlds biggest suburb), has a very diverse geography and is close to some of the most disparate locations (e.g. 3/4 hours to Yosemite, .5hours redwood forests, 4/5 hours to LA, etc). SF is definitely one of my favorites. Then again, the east coast cities have a different feel altogether and I greatly enjoy the opportunities that I've had to go back to them (NY and Chicago). I've never been to San Diego, but I don't think I've ever met anyone who hasn't at least liked it a lot, but again, I think it's a different feel than a large city.

I suggest letting the school dictate where you go, but then plan on moving to one or more of the larger cities after school is over. Personally I think they have a lot to offer someone who is young and wanting to get a taste for different areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin