Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 07:43 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

I think a little more than half vote democratic and a little less vote republican and a very small percentage are Libertarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
They are very similar as far as the people and attitude, but you'll find Austin is more politically moderate (think Libertarian), and people here definitely shave and take baths more often than they do in Portland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 07:46 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,592,390 times
Haha I was wondering when artsyguy was going to chime in.

Really, suggesting that people are going to be better off in El Paso than Austin? I know you hate the town, but that's a new low even for you.

I've never met a single person from El Paso who didn't want to get the hell out.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:48 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
Haha I was wondering when artsyguy was going to chime in.

Really, suggesting that people are going to be better off in El Paso than Austin? I know you hate the town, but that's a new low even for you.

I've never met a single person from El Paso who didn't want to get the hell out.

It just shows how little he knows about Austin

Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 PM

979 posts, read 2,954,666 times
Did the OP read this article from the UK Guardian?

Austin, Texas: capital of paranoid politics | Amanda Marcotte | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Quote:
...Sure, Austin is mostly known as a Democratic stronghold. But if you live there for even a short period of time (as Stack had), you can't miss the paranoid culture. The biggest media empire in the US for disseminating unhinged conspiracy theories is located in Austin. The website for this empire is Infowars, and the radio show that's broadcast to over 60 stations nationwide is called the Alex Jones Show. Jones's politics are ostensibly libertarian-conservative, but really, his ideology is paranoia. His empire sucks in rightwingers with conspiracy theories that feed the militia gun culture, but they also love conspiracy theories that appeal more to the left, such as the belief that 9/11 was an "inside job". And then there are unclassifiable ones, such as the belief that gatherings of elitist power players at the Bohemian Grove are actually Satanic rituals....

Old 05-06-2010, 09:04 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
For some reason Austin has an excellent reputation. But IMHO it is the worst city in Texas. And if I were to move to Texas from your state I'd prefer to be in the serenity of Corpus Christi. Or the big cities of Houston or Dallas. And I'm sure El Paso has a lot to offer too. El Paso has mountain ranges, deserts, and diversity. Austin has hills and 24/7 blandness.
Of all the moronic things you have spewed about Austin in this forum over the years, this one is on an entirely new level. You have obviously never been to Corpus Christi or El Paso in your entire life. Wow.....

Old 05-06-2010, 09:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
The latest headline I read is that Austin is the best city for single women.

How do we always manage to make "the best of" lists..reality is so different.

Austin rated one of best U.S. cities for single women

Old 05-07-2010, 09:31 AM

172 posts, read 515,955 times
artsyguy is just trying to keep more people from moving to Austin. There is no other explanation for recommending El Paso or Corpus Christi (the fattest city in America) over Austin.

Old 05-07-2010, 11:39 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,267,006 times
Yes I would actually have to agree here. Corpus Christi is very much like a big Galveston. A dump. Been through El Paso a few times and for the most part not a whole lot to see. Some interesting culture, but lots of poor run down areas.

As far as Austin, yes it does have a good reputation. However, the reputation comes mainly from the millions every year given by the city and chamber to media sources. But I certainly agree with anyone who thinks that Austin is wierd! It certainly is. There are many reasons that speak to it's wierdness....but here are some of my personal favorites.

1.) The only medium to large city in the country where the city leaders only care about rich people.

2.) A city whose infastructure could be blown away by nearly every metro area HALF it's size.

3.) The only "Green" capital city in the nation who represents a state that is the number one polluter in the country.

4.) A city that cannot "back up" any claim it has of "why it's so great"!

Anyways, yes, Austin IS a wierd place!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
Of all the moronic things you have spewed about Austin in this forum over the years, this one is on an entirely new level. You have obviously never been to Corpus Christi or El Paso in your entire life. Wow.....

Old 05-07-2010, 01:57 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Yes I would actually have to agree here. Corpus Christi is very much like a big Galveston. A dump. Been through El Paso a few times and for the most part not a whole lot to see. Some interesting culture, but lots of poor run down areas.

As far as Austin, yes it does have a good reputation. However, the reputation comes mainly from the millions every year given by the city and chamber to media sources. But I certainly agree with anyone who thinks that Austin is wierd! It certainly is. There are many reasons that speak to it's wierdness....but here are some of my personal favorites.

1.) The only medium to large city in the country where the city leaders only care about rich people.

2.) A city whose infastructure could be blown away by nearly every metro area HALF it's size.

3.) The only "Green" capital city in the nation who represents a state that is the number one polluter in the country.

4.) A city that cannot "back up" any claim it has of "why it's so great"!

Anyways, yes, Austin IS a wierd place!!!!
eepstein - you never give us any examples why you think #1 is true. I don't think it is. Housing is affordable, whether bought or rented. Unemployment is relatively low. You won't hear me defend the Austin City Council very often because I don't like many of the things they do. I think they are over-active for my tastes. But I don't see much that happens that says they only care about the wealthy.

As for #3 - the post is about Austin, not Texas. But as usual you are mistaken and fail to recognize that Texas is the nation's #1 energy producer. #1 producer of crude oil and natural gas. Texas produces twice as much electricity as the next state - Pennsyvania. Texas ranks #4 in total environmental emissions behind Alaska, Nevada, and Arizona.

Pollution Rankings: By State

In the American Lung Association's 2010 "State of the Air" report Texas fares relatively well. California leads the way in air pollution. Austin doesn't make the top 25 polluted list in any of the three categories.

Most Polluted Cities - American Lung Association (http://www.stateoftheair.org/2010/city-rankings/most-polluted-cities.html - broken link)

Last edited by hoffdano; 05-07-2010 at 02:57 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 03:27 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Yes I would actually have to agree here. Corpus Christi is very much like a big Galveston. A dump.
That's an insult to Galveston. It may not have the prettiest beaches, but it's got a great historic core and some of the better examples of Victorian architecture and landmarks in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin