Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 07:57 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,298,124 times

Advertisements

Weird City: Sense of Place and Creative Resistance in Austin, Texas

This is a book I'm going to have to read. It sounds like he may have something somewhat balanced here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 11:07 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,952,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Weird City: Sense of Place and Creative Resistance in Austin, Texas

This is a book I'm going to have to read. It sounds like he may have something somewhat balanced here.
Sounds amusing. I'm not sure it is worthy of a doctoral thesis. Doesn't surprise me that some of his advisors dropped out.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:14 AM

Doesn't surprise me, either, but, then, I used to, back in the day, make a living typing master's theses and doctoral dissertations (before word processing) and I saw advisors drop out for some of the stupidest reasons (and some for no reason at all). But better that than carrying through when you're fighting the candidate all the way because you think it's a "dumb idea".

Fortunately, some didn't, and now he has a book published. I'll look for it.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:41 AM

132 posts, read 225,225 times
I don't think it's unworthy. The struggle against corporate development is a fine area of study, particularly in a place with the national reputation Austin has.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:46 AM

AutumnFOG, I absolutely agree, it's a fine topic. I just see why some advisors might drop out, ill-advised as that might have turned out to be.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:07 AM

580 posts, read 1,079,545 times
That sounds like a pretty reasonable topic to me, and interesting to boot. I mean there's very much a subtle battle going on to build up and commercialize Austin, yet also keep to its eccentric roots. Hell, I'd be lying if I said I was on a definite side of the argument; I'm really kind of on the fence, as there are definitely pros to commercializing. At the same time, one of the things I like about Austin (other than the excellent great outdoors in this area) is the vibe of the city itself, which isn't in-your-face enough to be annoying, yet just odd enough to have some charm. Austin currently has plenty of mom-and-pop restaurants and independent stores to go around, and many of them have been able to survive in the face of the corporate giants. Hopefully if that balance between generating income and staying individualistic can be maintained, then Austin will continue to be an Austin city.
That being said, I think I'll definitely try and find this book. I bought Emergent Urbanism: Evolution in Urban Form not too long ago, which focuses on the so-called "new urbanism" in various large Texas cities, including Austin. I also want to get this one that I think is called East of I-35: Austin in Pictures. Supposed to be pretty interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: