Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,058,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
and I also have no worries about whether he'll be learning about evolution or creationism. ( Sorry, I couldn't help myself there!)
I don't worry about that either.

What you should worry about though, is Teacher strikes that extend into the school year, causing a huge change to the school year calender. As well as HUGE budget cuts. There is a reason property taxes are lower.

Yes, I know the area. We lived in Klahanie for awhile, which is on the Issaquah plateau and just down the hwy from Snoqualmie. We actually looked at Sno Ridge, and liked it - it's a nice area - but I still think it's nothing like Steiner.

Quote:
He will never have to get on 405 to get to work. He will hop on 90 about 10 minutes from our house. He will get off in Bellevue right before it hits 405 and he'll be about 2 minutes from his office. While we were out there, he was at the new house and he met me at a restaurant in Bellevue Square (which he had to take 405 to get to - past the exit for his workplace). He timed it and it took him 22 minutes. This was off hours, but again - this was a bit further than his normal commute will be.
I know the area. I commuted (when I worked, and we lived in Klahanie) from Bellevue to the Iss plateau. During peak times, it was still 30 mins. Yes, about 10 mins less in off times.

When I comment to people moving to Seattle suburbs (don't say Seattle - that's a peeve for people in this forum) I often recommend Issaquah. I love Issaquah. Sno Ridge is beautiful - but somewhat remote in regards to amenities and shopping, in my opinion.

If I was spending $830k on the eastside, I can think of other places I would have choosen.

Good luck on your move.

Last edited by jwb123; 08-06-2007 at 09:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 10:01 AM

38 posts, read 180,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenbar View Post
When I comment to people moving to Seattle suburbs (don't say Seattle - that's a peeve for people in this forum) I often recommend Issaquah. I love Issaquah. Sno Ridge is beautiful - but somewhat remote in regards to amenities and shopping, in my opinion.

If I was spending $830k on the eastside, I can think of other places I would have choosen.

Good luck on your move.
So true about it being somewhat remote and that was the thing that I really hesitated about. We were debating between Sno Ridge and Trossachs, for precisely that reason. In the end, and after timing how long it would be to shopping and such, we realized that the 15 minutes it will take us to get to "civilization" in Issaquah is pretty much the same amount of time it could take us to get to the same places travelling on local roads with traffic and stop lights. Out where we are, the speed limit on 90 is around 70mph I think. So it definitely feels like you're further away from shopping and other amenities because you have to get on a highway, but in reality, the time it takes you is pretty much the same.

I would have been nice to move to Issaquah or Sammamish or Bellevue, but the $830K in Sno Ridge got us a lot more for our money, so it was worth it to be a little further out.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:22 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
I strongly advise against buying a disgusting mcmansion in Issaquah. We are trying to keep sprawl here to a minimum, please do not encourage the developers. Warning: you will need a car to do ANYTHING on the plateau.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:25 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I like being left alone. My family is all I need at my house. I don't want neighbors over all the time. More than a wave is getting into my personal space. Just because they bought the house next door does not mean they can earn my friendship. Just keep your lawn mowed, keep the music down, fix yoru side of the fence, keep your brances out of my yard and leave me the heck alone. Thats my def of friendly neighbors. I guess each to their own. This is not an attack on anybody who thinks diferent. Austin is probably a better fit for people who need constant interaction. Give me a coffee shop on ever block, an ocean veiw, Volcanos for my mountains, and pine trees everywhere and Im happy.
I am EXACTLY the same way. I'm very much an introvert and I don't like to interact with people anymore than I have to. After a long day at work, I want to go home and not see anyone except my wife. I think the PNW would fit me very well. Also, I'm happiest when it's cloudy/foggy and drizzling. I hate hot weather more and more every year.....

Old 09-23-2007, 05:06 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,778,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jread View Post
I am EXACTLY the same way. I'm very much an introvert and I don't like to interact with people anymore than I have to. After a long day at work, I want to go home and not see anyone except my wife. I think the PNW would fit me very well. Also, I'm happiest when it's cloudy/foggy and drizzling. I hate hot weather more and more every year.....
after my 5 months in Austin, which to me felt like doing hard time, I now understand those of you who don't like hot weather. When I lived in WA I did not. cool weather now seems like a paradise. Theres nothing like the cool weather in the moring hitting your face, so refreshing, much better than going outside and getting hit by a wall of muggy hot air. You would love the pac NW, Bellingham Wa might be your perfect city. Lots of clouds, more than its fair share of light rain, gets foggy, and its SOOOOOO pretty. It would knock you socks off.

To your first point, about interacting with people, thanks for agreeing. Im not sure why people think this is a flaw. How can it be a bad thing if it makes me happy. I was trying to figure out a new phone the other day, it has a GPS system, when some guy next to me started asking me questions about the phone. I felt sorta violated. I had to put on that fake smile again, and make the small talk. You know what really ticks me off? when someone knocks at our door. I had to be nice and polite all day at work. I had to be nice at the supermarket on the way home. Leave me alone. Its all an act, and darn it, Im tired and just want enjoy the peice and quite of my family (or by myself).

Old 09-23-2007, 04:07 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
You sound like my brother in law

Old 09-24-2007, 03:55 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,290,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
after my 5 months in Austin, which to me felt like doing hard time, I now understand those of you who don't like hot weather. When I lived in WA I did not. cool weather now seems like a paradise. Theres nothing like the cool weather in the moring hitting your face, so refreshing, much better than going outside and getting hit by a wall of muggy hot air. You would love the pac NW, Bellingham Wa might be your perfect city. Lots of clouds, more than its fair share of light rain, gets foggy, and its SOOOOOO pretty. It would knock you socks off.
Sounds like a paradice!

Quote:
To your first point, about interacting with people, thanks for agreeing. Im not sure why people think this is a flaw. How can it be a bad thing if it makes me happy. I was trying to figure out a new phone the other day, it has a GPS system, when some guy next to me started asking me questions about the phone. I felt sorta violated. I had to put on that fake smile again, and make the small talk. You know what really ticks me off? when someone knocks at our door. I had to be nice and polite all day at work. I had to be nice at the supermarket on the way home. Leave me alone. Its all an act, and darn it, Im tired and just want enjoy the peice and quite of my family (or by myself).
Yes, yes. It's not that I don't like friendly people... I'd much rather be around nice folks than a bunch of jerks. However, I prefer when people keep to themselves but are nice when it's time to talk. I've often heard that people in the PNW are very nice and friendly but that they do not make small talk. That sounds great to me. It's the small talk that's annoying: "Sure is hot today," "look at all that traffic on I-35"... yes, it's ALWAYS hot and the traffic is ALWAYS bad. Why bring it up?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:32 PM

Just because we know it bugs you...J/K

Old 09-28-2007, 04:40 PM

34 posts, read 164,073 times
I am getting into this thread very late. Found it because my wife is pushing to move back to her home town of Austin. We live in Puyallup Wa., which is outside of Tacoma.

Scimming many of these posts and reading about people who are looking for a house in the $650,00-$800,000 makes my head spin!! I live in a $300,000 home in Puyallup and to move to Texas, I will have to take a significant pay cut (I am a Police Officer). We are looking at houses in the Pflugerville area in the $180,000 range and we don't know if we can afford that!!

On the brightside, I will be testing with Austin PD who pays pretty well for a Police Department. We will have to live in poverty for a couple of years but should be ok after that.

This thread has been very helpfull, thank you to all.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:45 AM

I work with a lady who is married to an Austin cop, and they DON'T live in a house that's more than 100,000-200,000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin